Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
55 user(s) are online (44 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 55

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Legal Grounds - Coffee Shop on Grand Street
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/5/16 16:22
From beneath the jumping sheep
Group:
Registered Users
I was at LG yesterday and picked up a cup joe. I can't remember when I'd last been there, but I remembered why I loved going there in the first place.

I agree that a restaurant/bar/cafe's staff greatly influences the success/failure of the business, but I have to say that despite Chris and Mimi's (and Mike's) absence, LG still serves the BEST coffee in JC. I can't go back to Beechwood or Basic after yesterday's re-awakening.

Posted on: 2006/6/2 1:30

Hide User information
Last Login :
2005/4/5 17:52
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks Will for your kind comments, we enjoyed your company as well and look forward to your next visit.

Regards,
Chris

Posted on: 2005/3/8 0:45

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/17 0:33
From JC, Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
FINALLY - someone who really knows their coffee, what to do with it, and how to present it! Great cappuccino this afternoon, Chris

Welcome to the neighborhood!

- Will

Posted on: 2005/3/7 1:23

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/4/3 23:26
From TARDIS
Group:
Registered Users
kudos, chris! i've found the friendliest coffee shop in town! you did a real good job with the place. i'm sure your hard work is gonna pay off. i enjoyed my chocolatto (did i spell it right?) and our long chat in the afternoon. that pumpkin spice pie was tasty too! i will definitely come back and try out your other drinks. sikwati sounds enticing. bubble tea is on my list as well

again, welcome to our neighborhood. it was nice meeting you, your wife and janice. see you all again soon.

Posted on: 2005/3/6 21:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Xtian wrote:
Now, now, u r 2 kind. Thanks for stopping by guys and we really enjoyed your company as well. In fact, we are planing on building out the back room as a cozy lounge sort of feel just for you guys. But gimmie a week or so to finish it. We hope to see again real soon.

Don't forget the old joke- If u r an American in the kitchen, what r u in the bathroom-he,he,he... . Just kidding Europa we loved you as well.

Good Night I am closing now so I can start working on that room.

Best Regards,
Chris

It was a pleasure, Chris! I see ourselves being regulars at your joint. You and your wife will definitely get sick of our mugs in there!

Posted on: 2005/3/6 15:30

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/4/15 22:19
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Chris --Great job!!!! Great place -- you are very nice and I look forward to stopping in often --and will be happy to spread the word!!!!!

Posted on: 2005/3/6 14:46
"I was sent here for a reason I have not yet been able to fathom." Henry Miller, Tropic of Cancer

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
As for tghost and kem, Thanks as well for your kind comments. We r glad u enjoyed yourself and look forward to having you back. However, we were not able to get the tables today so it looks like it will be a few more days. Since I am covering all the shifts myself, it is tough to get out and buy them. But I will get it done soon.

Regards,
Chris

Posted on: 2005/3/6 2:38

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Now, now, u r 2 kind. Thanks for stopping by guys and we really enjoyed your company as well. In fact, we are planing on building out the back room as a cozy lounge sort of feel just for you guys. But gimmie a week or so to finish it. We hope to see again real soon.

Don't forget the old joke- If u r an American in the kitchen, what r u in the bathroom-he,he,he... . Just kidding Europa we loved you as well.

Good Night I am closing now so I can start working on that room.

Best Regards,
Chris

Posted on: 2005/3/6 2:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Move over, Basic, there's a new coffee shop in town! Legal Grounds has definitely topped my list, after having sampled their espresso and latte this evening.

These folks truly know how to brew a perfect cup, and they use the best beans and equipment money can buy. I've learned that they also roast their own beans and were trained by the best barista in the country. Their espresso was reminiscent of the best cafe (aka espresso) my husband and I had during our recent trip to Italy.

The place is very warm and cozy, with more chairs, tables and free WiFi evidently on their way. The owners and staff are equally warm and friendly, making our first visit very enjoyable.

Basic will always hold a special place in my heart, but this new spot is Legally my new number one. This is exactly the type of coffee shop we've been wishing for in our area.

Welcome to the 'hood and I wish Xtian and his lovely wife the best of luck.

Posted on: 2005/3/6 2:26

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/1/23 11:08
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I too enjoyed a late afternoon latte at Legal Grounds for the first time and also had the pleaure of meeting Chris. I walked across town from Hamilton Park to check it out.

He wasn't fibbing...it is a warm, inviting place with great coffee! Give it it a try! You'll probably be back.

Posted on: 2005/3/5 22:55

Hide User information
Last Login :
2006/4/22 13:06
From Journal Square
Group:
Registered Users
This is THE coffee house of Jersey City. I stopped in this morning for a latte and was met by Chris, who couldn't have been friendlier. You can tell he has truly found his calling---the coffee is superb. The ambience is perfect, very cozy. I can't wait for the shop's tables to arrive so I can spend even more of my time there!

Posted on: 2005/3/5 21:24

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I wanted to thank those who have taken a positive interest in our coffee house and I would also like to extend an apology to anyone who may have come while the store was closed.

Indeed I am taking a slow approach to opening during the next two weeks because I am working every shift until I measure the demand of the business both from a customer and staffing perspective. Hence I will not be open late during weekdays except for maybe friday and saturday.

Although we are open, I am still figuring out the hours. I definetly will be open seven days per week. Mon-Fri open 6:30am to >6pm. --- Sat-Sun open 7:30am --- Fri-Sat close >9pm.

Unfortunately our space is not very big but I that we do a warm and inviting ambiance for all to enjoy. Also, I think we have a unique combination of product offerings. So we will have a little something for everyone.

Thanks again and we welcome any constructive advice from any of you because we really are looking to make a positive contribution to our Pauls Hook neighborhood.

Regards,
Chris

Posted on: 2005/3/4 18:52

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/1/12 3:28
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
They were open today. Not sure what time they close, though. I stopped in today and talked with the owner, Chris. It's a great place and they have a great variety of coffee drinks, as well as tea and hot chocolate. Stop in.

Posted on: 2005/3/2 0:47

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/5/6 23:47
From Jersey City - "the village"
Group:
Registered Users
What is the nearest cross street so I can find Legal Grounds?
I'm waiting to road test their brew!

Posted on: 2005/2/24 2:26
"Never confuse dissent with disloyality" - Thomas Paine

Hide User information
Last Login :
2005/3/21 15:28
Group:
Registered Users
Let me rephase. Will you offer anything for the lactose intolerant?

Posted on: 2005/2/24 2:21

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 12:47
Group:
Banned
I'm not doing espresso, just coffee and cafe au lait. I have a steamer for the cafe au lait and homemade hot chocolate, but soy milk isn't in the plans for now. Half and half for the hot chocolate and whole milk for the cafe au lait. [the menu is up at meltjc.com] Besides, it's not my life ambition to follow in Starbuck's footsteps :).

But you might wanna check with Christopher at Legal Ground. He's doing the full line of espresso drinks (and better than Starbucks.)

Posted on: 2005/2/24 2:17

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Jook, did you know that Starbuck's has a special version of Silk soymilk? "When steamed, it makes lattes and chai beverages even creamier and more tantalizing. "

I hope you at Melt and also Legal Grounds will offer soymilk or Lactaid milk.

http://www.starbucks.com/retail/silk.asp

http://www.lactaid.com/

Posted on: 2005/2/24 1:19

Re: Why not have a "low no" restaurant? (Re: Legal Grounds - Coffee Shop on Grand Street
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 12:47
Group:
Banned
While the topics of kid-friendly restaurants and cell phone use in restaurants are valid, please start a new thread on these subjects if you'd like to discuss them further. Unfortunately, the software does not allow for me to move these posts and I don't want to delete them. Please stick to the topic of welcoming a great new coffee shop to JC. Thanks for your cooperation.

Posted on: 2005/2/23 20:39

Why not have a "low no" restaurant? (Re: Legal Grounds - Coffee Shop on Grand Street
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/29 4:06
Group:
Banned
My toddler doesn't get into the kinds of problems that Anonymous mentioned because, first, she's pretty well-behaved and tightly controlled, and, second, I've resigned myself to going for about 3 years without going to cool restaurants, except on the rare occasions when I can get a babysitter.

But why does every establishment in a neighborhood with hundreds of toddlers have to cater to adults who are dining without small children?

Why can't there be one or two restaurants, or corners of restaurants, set up for parents who would like to let active toddlers play in a play area for a few minutes? Or, even better, why can't there be a toddler playground (a la Romparo or Echo of Art Too in Hoboken) that also serves cappucino?

Posted on: 2005/2/23 18:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/29 4:06
Group:
Banned
I think that the humorless truth is that the coolest places in Jersey City tend to be both toddler and pet resistant.

Toddlers really are a lot like other small mammals. Chances are that all of the toddler-proofing ideas would also work for pets. Just put pet toys in the enclosure and schedule different play times for pets and toddlers.

Another idea: why doesn't someone just break down and open a Showbiz Pizza Palace type place that serves decent food?

Posted on: 2005/2/23 17:57

Re: Legal Grounds - Cell Phone Free Zone!

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JC_Resident wrote:
Since this is almost a wish list for what people would like a coffee house to be I figured I would add mine - I would love to see some restuarants and coffee places that do not permit cell phone usage inside.

I'm so sick of hearing people's personal conversations on their cell phones!!!

AGREE!!!! No cell phones --

I heard some places in NYC banned them and even built the old fashion style phone booths (without the pay phone) for cell phone users to have their conversations

Posted on: 2005/2/23 17:35
"I was sent here for a reason I have not yet been able to fathom." Henry Miller, Tropic of Cancer

Re: Legal Grounds - Cell Phone Free Zone!

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/8/1 22:45
Group:
Registered Users
Since this is almost a wish list for what people would like a coffee house to be I figured I would add mine - I would love to see some restuarants and coffee places that do not permit cell phone usage inside.

I'm so sick of hearing people's personal conversations on their cell phones!!!

Posted on: 2005/2/23 17:30

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Falcon wrote:
Hey Hey Hey;
This topic is about Legal Grounds, NOT play grounds, this particular place is way to small to accomidate kids, pets, and even most adults.

Did anyone hear that they have a kewl coffee roaster and a expresso machine that is smokin?

Not forgetting -- could careless if kids, dogs, cats, bird or anyother kind of animal are there.

I was curious about a wireless connection --So I can sit and drink a coffee of my choice and have a snack and work on my laptop and enjoy the aroma of the coffee they are brewing.

Posted on: 2005/2/23 16:33

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/18 2:12
From Beautiful Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Hey Hey Hey;
This topic is about Legal Grounds, NOT play grounds, this particular place is way to small to accomidate kids, pets, and even most adults.

Did anyone hear that they have a kewl coffee roaster and a expresso machine that is smokin?

Posted on: 2005/2/23 8:15

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Nothing wrong with a place for pets. Isn't there a place in Hamilton Park area that keeps dog bowls outside the door?

Does anyone know if this place has wireless connections? S

Both places are right around the corner from me --but the Daily Grind is right across the street from ex-boyfriend --have a feeling that I would more comfortable in the new place

Posted on: 2005/2/22 19:16

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/6/30 4:12
Group:
Registered Users
Actually, I'm thinking more in terms of exotic pets (pythons, tarrantulas,gators, moonbats, etc). These pets don't get out much & Im sure their owners would love to go to a coffee place where they would be welcome to congregate & heavily insured should something go horribly awry

Posted on: 2005/2/22 18:27

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/17 0:33
From JC, Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Now that's the idea! Adult-friendly coffee house.

Posted on: 2005/2/22 14:19

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/4/5 15:28
From Paulus Hook/Heights
Group:
Registered Users
how bout this . . . to make it even more toddler friendly make a warm milk bottle ever-so-slightly infused with chamomile tea so baby can go night-night and no one has to worry about anything!

Posted on: 2005/2/22 13:28

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I do hope that they offer alternatives to caffeine, milk, and sugar.

Posted on: 2005/2/22 13:16

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/7/9 19:55
Group:
Registered Users
Please do not take this as a critique of YOUR parenting skills since I dont know you or your child, but most of these things should not be an issue for anyone who is even a half decent parent.

Ive had multiple experiences in the past few months here in JC where my dinner experience was ruined by careless parents letting their children either run or wander around bumping into other people tables, or just causing general chaos.

An attentive parent would never lose focus or control of their child to the point where the child:

-finds its way to an area (most likely secluded behind/under a table) where there is an electrical outlet.

-finds a way to pull, push, or hang on a table to the point of knocking it over.

Those are just two examples, but really the lack of focus that I see parents giving their children these days is scary. Almost every example given sounds like you expect that a child should be able to be set free to roam about the establishment with no adult supervision. Please dont expect the restaurants here or anywhere else to pick up the slack for people who just dont have basic parenting skills.

Posted on: 2005/2/22 5:48

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017