Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
148 user(s) are online (125 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 148

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Obnoxious Banners Popping Up All Over Neighborhood - Illegal?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

borisp wrote:
Quote:

jcwalkingman wrote:
Took one down tonight - another was apparently taken down by someone else on a different fence. It's a pretty heavy-duty banner (canvas material, steel rings around the holes) so I hope the "business" owner gets the message that he/she is wasting their money putting these up.

Of course you do realize that if the property owner gave his permission to place the ad, what you did was likely a felony.

If the banner's cost was above 200, taking into account the aggravated nature (a forethought), my nonprofessional guess would be one-two years.

One to two years - now that's hilarious!

Prisoner #1: What are you in for?
Prisoner #2: Aggravated manslaughter, doing 5-10. What are you in for?
Prisoner #1: I took down some signs. Should be paroled in about 10 months if I behave myself.

Would love to meet someone who actually went to prison for this and wonder where they would fit in the prison hierarchy. Above the pedophiles I'm sure but below the aggravated assault crowd. Ha!

Posted on: 2013/9/24 0:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/14 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

borisp wrote:

Of course you do realize that if the property owner gave his permission to place the ad, what you did was likely a felony.

If the banner's cost was above 200, taking into account the aggravated nature (a forethought), my nonprofessional guess would be one-two years.

You almost sound like you could be the one illegally placing these! What you say is completely ridiculous - you really think that in Hudson County, where thugs who are caught drug dealing are released after a few months in prison, some guy trying to do his community a favor is going to be in jail for several years? Please don't waste your time posting garbage like this if you don't have the slightest clue about what you're writing.

I do know that according to the municipal code, any banner placed on a fence illegally faces a minimum $150 fine. In order to put a banner on a fence, you need a permit from the chief of police, and there are very strict rules in general regarding signage for any commercial enterprise (directional signs for hotels, signs larger than certain standard dimensions, etc. also need special permission from the Planning or Zoning boards). I will call City Hall tomorrow to confirm that the sign was illegal (still have the banner in a plastic bag for recycling; I can simply put it back up on the fence if it was there legally).

Anyway, thank you to everyone else for your input.

Posted on: 2013/9/24 0:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Quote:

HeightsBrat wrote:
They have probably been placed there illegally. You need written permission (from the owner) to place these eyesores on the fence of even an empty lot. Anything that is on a lightpole or tree on the street was placed there illegally & can be taken down.

It is little things like this that impacts our quality of life.

Cityhall is the only authority to remove signs from street fittings and fixtures, that include trees. I'd be calling cityhall for their removal as a ticket for littering will be sent out also.

Maybe the guy sticking adverts everywhere could get local cyclists to advertise for them !

Resized Image

Not exactly fats. You can call the RRC & they can have DPW come down & remove the sign but they are not the only ones legally charged with this duty. BTW, lights & poles do not belong to the city & PSE&G has no problem with anyone who wants to take these eyesores down. As for removal from fences around vacant lots I can guarantee no one has gotten permission to place any type of signage there. I used to remove Healy signage from poles & fences around vacant lots & stuff them down port-o-johns.

Posted on: 2013/9/23 22:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

borisp wrote:
Quote:

jcwalkingman wrote:
Took one down tonight - another was apparently taken down by someone else on a different fence. It's a pretty heavy-duty banner (canvas material, steel rings around the holes) so I hope the "business" owner gets the message that he/she is wasting their money putting these up.

Yeah, a sign vandal is going up the river for one to two. lol

Posted on: 2013/9/23 19:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/31 13:04
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcwalkingman wrote:

Posted on: 2013/9/23 19:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HeightsBrat wrote:
They have probably been placed there illegally. You need written permission (from the owner) to place these eyesores on the fence of even an empty lot. Anything that is on a lightpole or tree on the street was placed there illegally & can be taken down.

Cityhall is the only authority to remove signs from street fittings and fixtures, that include trees. I'd be calling cityhall for their removal as a ticket for littering will be sent out also.

Maybe the guy sticking adverts everywhere could get local cyclists to advertise for them !

Resized Image

Posted on: 2013/9/23 9:29
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/9/23 3:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/9/22 11:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/22 15:58
Group:
Registered Users
I vote take them down. We get marketed at too much in our lives as it is, we don't need to see obnoxious banners cluttering up the landscape. Particularly in spaces that never had ads on them before. (you listening PATH train?)

Posted on: 2013/9/22 2:33

Obnoxious Banners Popping Up All Over Neighborhood - Illegal?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
There are "888 Junk Car$" banners popping up all over my neighborhood and I'd like to take them down, but I'm not sure if they might be where they are legally - but I assume they are not since they're on random fences on vacant lots and clearly don't represent a "business" conducted on these particular pieces of property. Does anyone know what the regulations on banners on fences are?

Posted on: 2013/9/21 15:36

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017