Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
163 user(s) are online (148 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 163

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Reserved Parking on Columbus Ave. Public Streets
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sutherland wrote:
To IANMAC your propositions about the cost of parking permits and how it impacts people who need their cars more often than those that drive less regularly is wildly irrational and makes outrageous assumptions. Though I do appreciate you putting some thought into your reply.

Its not really that different a proposition than congestion pricing or highway tolls. Its a user fee for a commodity. Like it or not, there isn't enough parking. If there was, there wouldn't be an entire thread dedicated to people parking too close to street corners and in crosswalks. From a policy perspective, increasing a permit fee is simply a user fee based where supply and demand can come into a balance.

Or put another way, why do car owners get a benefit of a public resource at the expense of all residents? Just as car owners feel entitled to park their cars, bicycle owners could make the same claim that instead of parking spaces, the city should install bicycle racks.

Posted on: 2011/3/31 20:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/18 14:36
Group:
Registered Users
To JCResident. I am aware of the zone parking permit rules as I live downtown and have a permit.

If the city is concerned with parking obfuscation or manipulation then they should have meters throughout the business district of downtown. There are already some areas and streets through out the business district that have metered parking. To monopolize as a parking lot several public streets undermines the flow of commerce and movement for residents and visitors. I wouldn't mind if I had to pay a meter from 7 to 6 in the business district, I just don't like that there are some spots reserved exclusively for some who use them on a regular basis.

To IANMAC your propositions about the cost of parking permits and how it impacts people who need their cars more often than those that drive less regularly is wildly irrational and makes outrageous assumptions. Though I do appreciate you putting some thought into your reply.

On a separate by not unrelated note, I think it's absurd that there are several different parking zones through out downtown. All of downtown residents should be under one parking zone. I know Councilman Fulop was working on an initiative to consolidate the downtown parking zones into one zone.

In addition to research I should engage the DCNA to try to start an initiative to eliminate this reserved parking business. It's just stupid.

To

Posted on: 2011/3/31 20:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

sepecat wrote:
If you live in this city you should be able to park on city streets.. One shouldn?t be forced to pay a excess fee when they already got a residential permit.. And if your job or whatever requires you park in certain sections over the 2 hour limit, then you should be forced to pay an optional fee..

I'm not really sure how your logic follows. Residency doesn't entitle you to parking. If free and plentiful parking is what you crave, I suggest moving to a more rural zipcode where land is not at premium.

Moreover, none of the areas with reserved parking spaces are isolated or remote-- these are blocks easily accessible by multiple modes of public transportation and if you live near these places, easily accessible by walking. Additionally, if we assume most or all of these spaces are being rented to non-residents, than the city is generating revenue from non-residents; its free money for the city.

Posted on: 2011/3/31 19:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcresident0001 wrote:
The reserve spaces are $125.00. What does "unnecessary car ownership" mean? I believe they are a necessary evil in todays day and age.You want public transportation for life for everyone??

Not everyone needs a car. I'm not referring here to daily or semi-regular commuters who take a car to work, but the many downtowners who maintain a car for irregular and infrequent trips. Parking is a commodity, and right now a resident $15 per year fee doesn't really reflect the true cost of parking. There are plenty of residents who certainly need cars to get to jobs or who travel regularly and frequently. But for many others the low cost of street parking means keeping a car is often easier than disposing of it.

I'm suggesting, from a policy standpoint, raising the yearly resident permit fee makes a lot of sense. One, it helps prioritize on street parking by need by raising the cost of parking to reflect demand; drivers who can do away with cars are more likely to if there is a greater cost to them. The fewer people with cars, the more parking is available for the people who need it. Two, by raising the base cost of parking, all parking becomes more valuable. There are few things worse for urban areas than surface parking lots, and Jersey City has many of them. But by raising the cost of all parking, there is an added incentive to convert surface parking into productive land. Third, a higher fee would generate significant revenue for projects like street maintenance or offsetting property taxes or on a larger scale, public transportation.

As for reserved parking spaces-- $125 a month seems perfectly reasonable. The fee is somewhat less than the average price of garage or lot parking, but still better reflective of the cost cars and parking have on the space.

Posted on: 2011/3/31 19:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/21 20:55
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
If you live in this city you should be able to park on city streets.. One shouldn?t be forced to pay a excess fee when they already got a residential permit.. And if your job or whatever requires you park in certain sections over the 2 hour limit, then you should be forced to pay an optional fee..

Posted on: 2011/3/31 18:33

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/11/5 5:47
Group:
Registered Users
The reserve spaces are $125.00. What does "unnecessary car ownership" mean? I believe they are a necessary evil in todays day and age.You want public transportation for life for everyone??

Posted on: 2011/3/31 18:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Residents can get those reserve spots as well, provided they pay the $200+ per month. This is not really much different than having a $15 per year parking permit requirement. Frankly, it would be a lot better if the city started charging more for resident permits, since it would discourage unnecessary car ownership.

Posted on: 2011/3/31 17:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/21 20:55
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
The issue is the parking spaces should be opened up to residents.. Just like every zoned parking we should get a 2 hour limit and if we work there, then pay for the monthly commuter tags.. This way the residents can park and do business in the area, while limiting it to 2 hours max, should free up spaces for those that wants to get a monthly tag..
Its pretty simple to control the spaces, when you allow zoned residents of any zone the 2 hour minimum and if they don?t move ticket them..

Posted on: 2011/3/31 17:47

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/11/5 5:47
Group:
Registered Users
The permit parking/reserve parking , believe it or not, was set up to preserve parking for the residents. The reserve parking is only enforced untill 5pm then its open to all,except in some areas by the Light Rail stations.

Imagine what it would be like without regulations , INSANE!! The whole downtown area would be a big free parking lot for every out of towner who hits the ferries, trains or busses to NYC. I recently went to dinner at the Pointe by Port Liberte. Once I drove passed the archway for the golfcourse there were ao many cars from there to the Pointe. I asked about that and I was told since there are no regulations on that street , 99% of the cars there are commuters getting on the ferry there. The commuters get there from 5am and leave about 7pm. Thats what the whole down town would be. You could forget about a space anywhere!!

There is a certain permit that residents can get from the JCPA so you can park in any zone (I forgot the name of the permit).

I have done alot of research regarding Parking Authority Enforcement/Police enforcement. I once thought exactly as you but I ,unlike you, ran off at the mouth without doing my research and it came back to bite me in the ...... . I wish I would have done like you .

Posted on: 2011/3/31 17:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I find it obnoxious. As a resident I should be able to park on the public streets, even if I have to pay a meter so I can shop in the business districts. But to permit one group of people to be able to occupy a segment of parking spaces for the entire business day just seems improper.

So I should stop posting about it, conduct some research and see what can be done if anything about it.

Posted on: 2011/3/30 18:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/1 19:35
Group:
Registered Users
This Reserved Parking is also on Steuben, Washington and Warren Streets. It's for commuters - set up before there were so many parking garages. JC residents could get the Zone 4 or Zone I if they worked downtown.

Posted on: 2011/3/30 17:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/22 1:46
Group:
Registered Users
If you're heated about public streets having reserved spaces, find the article that mentions how much JERSEY CITY is paying the JCPA to "LEASE" these spaces. (Jersey City Independent website is down right now)

This is the price we pay for gentrification. You want a nice downtown? Gotta bring in the big businesses. How do you bring in the big businesses? Give them reserved parking on the street.

edit: By the way, CC west of Marin looks and feels like a road out of Baghdad. CC Between Marin and Greene? Paved.

Posted on: 2011/3/30 17:57

Reserved Parking on Columbus Ave. Public Streets
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Columbus Ave from Marin to about Green Street are reserved parking; not just permit parking. It seems the people who can park there and reserve spaces aren't necessarily JC residents. I have to wonder whether this is constitutional to reserve as private public streets on a regular basis.

Posted on: 2011/3/30 17:17

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017