Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
134 user(s) are online (111 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 134

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Pay to Play Reform - Call to Action
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/24 18:54
Group:
Registered Users
Imagine if Levinites and Fulopians joined forces for something like this. Would the rally numbers be in the thousands? And, why can't the two camps unite? BTW - Fulop leads our mostly unscientific corruption crusader's poll: 38% to Levin's 20%. None of the above = 27%.

Posted on: 2009/9/2 14:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/16 20:23
From not downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Mouse wrote:
To quote U.S. Supreme Court Justice Louis Brandeis, "sunlight is the best disinfectant.?

OK Jersey City, what say we show up and give democracy (and free speech) a try?

It is important that we keep the pressure on the council and make it clear that their actions will be scrutinized.

September 9th...6 PM... City Hall... be there.

-M

Correction: it looks like the pre-meeting rally is set to begin at
5 PM on Sept 9th.

Posted on: 2009/9/1 21:05
I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food.
W. C. Fields

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/1 18:47
Group:
Registered Users
Amen, amen.

Support an unwatered-down version of pay-to-play AND getting Vega the bribe-taker and Lopez the Florida resident off the Council!

Quote:

Mouse wrote:
To quote U.S. Supreme Court Justice Louis Brandeis, "sunlight is the best disinfectant.?

It is important that we keep the pressure on the council and make it clear that their actions will be scrutinized.

-M

Posted on: 2009/9/1 20:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/4 19:30
Group:
Registered Users
How do I get to pay to play?

Posted on: 2009/9/1 20:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/16 20:23
From not downtown
Group:
Registered Users

-M

Posted on: 2009/9/1 15:47
I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food.
W. C. Fields

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/6/27 3:00
Group:
Registered Users
Hopefully many people will show up and the focus will be future oriented versus complaining about the past. Sweeping reform will never occur at a given point in time and the right way to approach this systemic problem is chipping away at an ingrained set of practices one piece at a time. Pay to play is as good a start as any. I'll be there.

Posted on: 2009/8/31 2:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Glad to see there is still some life to the movement. I was worried that it had died during the August doldrums.

Posted on: 2009/8/27 17:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/4/25 16:16
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for continuing to work for us Steve! I will be there!

Posted on: 2009/8/27 12:25

Pay to Play Reform - Call to Action
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/27 19:46
Group:
Registered Users
I urge you to take a quick look at the attached video link on the homepage at www.stevenfulop.com. It?s a one minute video from the anti-corruption rally in front of City Hall that we organized in August. We were moved by the strong show of community support for that event. But that was only a start. We need to build on the momentum established at that event; the next few weeks will be crucial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTO-3E ... ture=player_embedded#t=76

On Wednesday, September 9th at 6pm in City Hall, the council will be voting on the Redeveloper Pay-to-Play ordinance that I sponsored at the last council meeting. Prior to the meeting on September 9th there will be another important community rally. This is not a political rally with former candidates or elected officials speaking but the goal is a community rally to enter city hall in strong numbers and unified.

The ordinance to be voted on during the September 9th meeting is similar to the one I sponsored two years ago. As you may recall, at that time it didn?t even pass introduction required for a final vote. The ordinance would prohibit designated developers from contributing to politicians during the time that they are benefiting from favorable financial considerations from the city.

While the council and mayor flatly opposed the version of the ordinance presented two years ago, the climate has clearly changed. In August, after many Jersey City individuals were arrested on corruption charges related to this very issue, the council unanimously approved the introduction of the ordinance. However, there still seems to be resistance from some elected officials. Their fear is justified; this ordinance would stand to change politics and fundraising, and send a message that the residents of Jersey City are more important than special interests.

Your presence on September 9th will make a strong impression on the council as it deliberates on this important measure. This is a second and final reading, and discussion will be open to the public. A large audience with many residents speaking out in favor of the ordinance is the best way to let the council know how important this measure is to you.

Please come out on the 9th for both the rally and council meeting to let your voice be heard!

Sincerely
Steven Fulop

Posted on: 2009/8/26 20:40

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017