Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
176 user(s) are online (154 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 176

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Feds to spend $37M on N.Y. Harbor projects including Liberty and Ellis islands.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/18 2:23
From Not in JC anymore
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Quote:

JC_DowntownRegular wrote:
Quote:

Xerxes wrote:
And we STILL cannot use the short bridge that connects Liberty Park with Ellis island...

The bridge was never meant to be used for pedestrian access, but rather for the renovations they did way back when I was a kid.

There is no reason that they shouldn't open that to bikes and pedestrians - and please don't say terrorism!

I won't say terrorism, but I will argue it from a USPP and NPS standpoint.

First, that bridge is not meant to support pedestrian traffic of any sort. Have you actually seen what the pedestrian walkway portion of the bridge looks like. It is a sheet of rust from mainland to island. Walking on it is an invitation to tetanus shots and the life ring.

Second, if we were to open it to pedestrian and bike traffic on the main portion of the bridge we would need to install some sort of traffic control device for when vehicles actually cross the bridge. I'm sorry but people aren't smart enough to get out of a vehicle's path, and drivers aren't smart enough to not run over pedestrians and bikers.

Third, we would need an enhanced checkpoint so it matches the checkpoints used as all the other ferry accesses. This would mean enhanced security for existing vehicles that utilize the bridge, enhanced security for bikes, and enhanced security for pedestrians accessing the bridge. The NPS and USPP are not going to ramp down security measures - after all, it is an icon NPS site, so security and checkpoint measures need to be commensurate with the other accesses.

Fourth, arriving by ferry is part of the Ellis Island experience.

Fifth, isn't the ticket just $12? C'mon, really? You don't want to pay $12 for the ferry when we pay so much more money for movies, amusement parks, sports events, etc.

Posted on: 2009/4/27 0:11
- Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Re: Feds to spend $37M on N.Y. Harbor projects including Liberty and Ellis islands.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JC_DowntownRegular wrote:
Quote:

Xerxes wrote:
And we STILL cannot use the short bridge that connects Liberty Park with Ellis island...

The bridge was never meant to be used for pedestrian access, but rather for the renovations they did way back when I was a kid.

There is no reason that they shouldn't open that to bikes and pedestrians - and please don't say terrorism!

Posted on: 2009/4/26 19:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/18 2:23
From Not in JC anymore
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Xerxes wrote:
And we STILL cannot use the short bridge that connects Liberty Park with Ellis island because someone greases enough palms to keep the very lucrative ferry service LUCRATIVE.

Until I can walk to Ellis Island I could not care less if it fell into the harbor.

And can the JJ and other media outlets get the agency correct for once. It is not the National Parks Service, National Park Services, US Parks Department, National Parks Department, or (and I love this one) the US Forestry Service (which is wrong unto itself).

It's the National Park Service. Can someone send that up to the JJ please?

Posted on: 2009/4/25 13:52
- Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/30 16:20
Group:
Banned
And we STILL cannot use the short bridge that connects Liberty Park with Ellis island because someone greases enough palms to keep the very lucrative ferry service LUCRATIVE.

Until I can walk to Ellis Island I could not care less if it fell into the harbor.

Posted on: 2009/4/25 12:45

Feds to spend $37M on N.Y. Harbor projects including Liberty and Ellis islands.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Feds to spend $37M on N.Y. Harbor projects

Jersey Journal
Friday, April 24, 2009

NEW YORK - The National Parks Service says it will spend more than $37 million on projects around the New York Harbor area, including Liberty and Ellis islands.

More than $26 million of that total will be used to stabilize parts of Ellis Island's seawall.

Power and communications lines for security will be installed on Liberty Island.

Another effort will stabilize Castle Williams at Governors Island National Monument.

Work also will be done on Grant's Tomb Overlook. That's located along the Hudson River in Upper Manhattan, at the General Grant National Memorial.

The funding comes from the federal economic stimulus package.

Posted on: 2009/4/25 2:59

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017