Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
119 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 119

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: "Island" Section Of Jersey City-Rentals??
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/23 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
I also live on Hnery Street. I love the Hilltop neighborhood. I enjoy the community feeling and that people watch out for each other.

You can find out more about the area from http://www.hilltopobserver.com/hna/default.htm

Downtown is actually a short walk. I agree with Jimmoe on everything. Things shut down early. A lot of Hoboken eateries will deliver. Larry and Joe's is open late.

Posted on: 2007/8/11 3:11
soshin: Mention guns and bd pops up through a hole in the ground like a heavily armed meercat

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/8/24 20:09
Group:
Registered Users
Frankly -- and I will prepare to be flamed for this -- I would sooner die than live in Hoboken. Well, maybe not die. But I'd stay in my Brooklyn railroad until the rent reached $2000/month and the mold in the bathroom wall turned toxic.

I and my husband did put in a bid on the Henry St. place, and the bid was accepted -- orally -- but the woman who owns the house freaked out and took it off the market. Which is understandable. She's lived there a long, long time.

I may have specific questions at some point, but I'm primarily concerned about safety, and you've put my mind at ease about that. Thanks again.

Posted on: 2007/8/9 3:09

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/16 12:51
Group:
Registered Users
My pleasure, Ex-Brooklynite-type person.

If you have any more question, feel free to ask. If you do end up putting a bid on a Henry Street building, perhaps I can give you more specific information.

Like most of JC, the neighborhood is getting better bit by bit. Just don't expect it to be Hoboken.

Posted on: 2007/8/6 20:26

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Jimmoe, those are exactly the kinds of things I wanted to know. And Henry St. is great. The first Journal Square-area house we liked is on Henry, but the seller decided to take it off the market.

Posted on: 2007/8/6 19:53

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Thoughts on living on "The Island"? We live on Henry Street, so technically, we're not in the The Island, pers se (The Island is the small region south of the PATH Train track gulley, no?)

Anyhoo, on the plus side: It's really convenient for transportation to New York or Newark. Not much traffic noise (except from a few idiots with tricked out mufflers, but that's another thread). Crime isn't much of a concern, but there is the occasional break in, car theft, mugging -- like everywhere else in JC. Housing prices are better than Downtown, and the housing stock is fair.

Negatives: within walking distance, it's pretty hard to find a decent cup of coffee, restaurant at night (unless you like Indian) or produce stand (There is a great butcher on Newark, however). We head downtown or to NYC for that sort of thing. Houses are packed in tight, so that one knucklehead with the barking dogs who's in the habit of playing loud salsa (sorry, it's always salsa) music -- UNTIL 2 A.M.!!! -- can make life miserable for many neighbors, and don't expect a lot of help from the police.

Hope this helps.

Posted on: 2007/8/6 17:41

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks, GrovePath. My husband & I are looking to buy a place, and, given the current market, we need to be prepared to stay there long-term, so I'm definitely interested in hearing from Fasteddie & anyone else who has a perspective on the Island.

By the way, I get that there aren't many amenities; that doesn't bother me.

Posted on: 2007/8/5 18:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
You might want to ask Fasteddie, he lives in/on the "island". He was even renting out a place but that might have been over in the Heights and I think he said he was looking for a hot female tenant but maybe he has become more realistic ....

Click here...

Posted on: 2007/8/5 10:27

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Hey Jimmoe,

I'm thinking of moving to the Island Section. I've walked back and forth from the PATH during the day and at night, but haven't been out walking during the wee hours or on really quiet nights. Any personal or anecdotal perspective to offer?

Posted on: 2007/8/5 5:16

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/2/7 5:42
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks Jimmoe....

Posted on: 2007/7/12 18:16

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Howdy Texas,

There's an apartment for rent on the north end of Waldo -- about a block off of Newark, at the end of Henry Street. There's a phone number on the for rent sign.

It's really late, and I'm realy tired, or I would get the info for you. Good luck.

Posted on: 2007/7/12 3:09

"Island" Section Of Jersey City-Rentals??
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/2/7 5:42
Group:
Registered Users
Does anyone know of any apartments for rent (or who I might contact) in the "Island" section of Jersey City?? I have walked around, checked JCList, Craigslist, NJ.com and so on. I have come up with no contacts.

The island section is the area behind the cemetery...off Newark and Waldo. Other streets in the area are Chestnut, Magnolia, and Henry.

Any help would be great. Thanks.

Posted on: 2007/7/11 22:52

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017