Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
78 user(s) are online (67 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 78

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Demand Reform of Jersey City Schools!

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/3/20 13:59
Group:
Banned
I have an idea, how about you drop your job (or whatever you do) and become a teacher yourself, with all your wonderful ideas you should have the kids of Jersey City learning in no time. Right?

Posted on: 2007/5/22 19:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/29 4:06
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Althea wrote:
Here is the non-parent version of this email campaign:

Althea Bernheim
Jersey City Family Initiative
Jersey City Families for Better Schools

I wanted to respond on the schools list, but I find it's a pain to post to Yahoo! groups, for some technical reason that I haven't quite figured out.

People were asking: "What does 'reformed' mean?"

Suggestions:

- Reformed grade schools should offer at least 15 minutes of outdoor recess per day in all but the worst weather, and the equivalent of free time inside when it's raining hard. Or, if that's not possible because the kids would beat one another up, then the school should organize at least 15 minutes of aerobic activity for the kids every day when they don't have gym class.

- Reformed schools should offer at least two gym classes, two art classes and two music classes per week. (Drama classes, dance classes or other classes of that type could be substituted for art and music classes.)

- At least 80 percent of the teachers at reformed schools should know how to speak and write standard English reasonably well. The other teachers ought to have other outstanding compensating qualifications, such as the ability to speak fluent Spanish.

- Reformed schools ought to offer some kind of opportunity for respectful parents of prospective and current students to see how the schools are performing during the day.

- Reformed schools should never let a class go for more than 2 weeks without a permanent teacher, even if that means a teacher who is out sick will be screwed over.

- Reformed schools should have strategies for helping kids who are far behind or far ahead of other kids in classwork.

- Reformed schools ought to have open hiring strategies that give great candidates from outside Hudson County a fair chance to get jobs here.

Posted on: 2007/5/22 18:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/23 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
Here is the non-parent version of this email campaign:

http://citizenspeak.org/node/1086

Please pass it on. This is merely saying that we would like to begin a dialogue.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Althea Bernheim

Posted on: 2007/5/22 17:50

Edited by Webmaster on 2007/5/23 8:38:52
soshin: Mention guns and bd pops up through a hole in the ground like a heavily armed meercat

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Well said. I completely agree. Thank you for responding.

The whole thing is screwy! We hope to run our own candidates next year who will be palatable to all.

Althea Bernheim

Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:

As this is an area of your expertise and I don't have any kids, I just have a problem with felons in public office - I think you can rehabilitate kids to a certain degree, but adults is another story unless they find god or something.
I hate the idea that a convicted felon is in charge of anything - especially a guy who used the old for his own gains during voting time.

Posted on: 2007/5/22 13:00
soshin: Mention guns and bd pops up through a hole in the ground like a heavily armed meercat

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Althea wrote:
Well actually, Hoboken did it in 3 years which is very impressive. They couldn't get a candidate on the board that they thought was worthy and so they started "Kids First" http://www.hobokenkidsfirst.org/

Now they have four of their candidates on the Board and one was voted unanimously Board president.

And FAB? I just said McCann is good for the Board... Where are you? Aren't you supposed to tell me that my thinking is screwed up? Has this board gone soft????

Althea

Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Demand reform?
City Hall can't even get the potholes fixed, sewers corrected, crime under some sort of control or even their own staff to behave ethically. What chance is there really to reform our schools if the current powers that be, hold the purse strings!

As this is an area of your expertise and I don't have any kids, I just have a problem with felons in public office - I think you can rehabilitate kids to a certain degree, but adults is another story unless they find god or something.
I hate the idea that a convicted felon is in charge of anything - especially a guy who used the old for his own gains during voting time.

Posted on: 2007/5/22 10:16
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Every drop in the ocean
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Every year parents are deeply disturbed and confused by the educational options for their children. Home owners are constantly worried about the rise in taxes, especially when the school system is handed back to the City. Something is going to give unless we find a way to be heard.

Everyone has very busy lives and this is one thing you can do by taking a few minutes at your computer and it will make a difference. We need you to speak up. We need ALL of you who don't want high taxes with little return, who would like a better school system, which profits us all, to take these few minutes.

Here it is: http://citizenspeak.org/node/1083

This goes to the State level and given enough emails, our goals is 500, we will be heard. But we can't do it without you. We need everyone's help on this. Pass this message on to everyone you know.

Our organization is young and is not taking positions on anything until we feel we have enough facts and a great platform. This is all we ask now to keep our organization growing and heard.

I am personally asking that you give us a chance to represent the needs of the City on educational values and choice.

Sincerely,

Althea Bernheim

Posted on: 2007/5/21 12:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Well actually, Hoboken did it in 3 years which is very impressive. They couldn't get a candidate on the board that they thought was worthy and so they started "Kids First" http://www.hobokenkidsfirst.org/

Now they have four of their candidates on the Board and one was voted unanimously Board president.

And FAB? I just said McCann is good for the Board... Where are you? Aren't you supposed to tell me that my thinking is screwed up? Has this board gone soft????

Althea

Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Demand reform?
City Hall can't even get the potholes fixed, sewers corrected, crime under some sort of control or even their own staff to behave ethically. What chance is there really to reform our schools if the current powers that be, hold the purse strings!

Posted on: 2007/5/21 11:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Demand reform?

Posted on: 2007/5/21 10:53
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
You don't need to be a parent to want better schools. Do as Shelley asks and click on the link to send a letter to Trenton about our concerns:

http://citizenspeak.org/node/1083

Quote:

Sleepygirl wrote:
I wanted to let all of you know JC Families For Better Schools have started an email and letter writing campaign to the powers that be in Trenton. We are asking several critical questions: What sort of standards does the Jersey City District have to meet as a State run district (particularly since we have been under state control for nearly twenty years). How will reintergration of the district to local control be managed? What are the implications of future Abbott funding once local control is gained? What is being done about the lack of accountability in the financial management of the district? Is Dr. Epps being given another 3 year contract?

Click on the link below and put in your information. You have the ability to add more comments if you would like.

Shelley Skinner

Posted on: 2007/5/21 3:17
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Are you asking about the State BOE or the JC BOE?

If it is the JC BOE you are asking about, no, as long as the State controls the schools in JC, they control the money. More importantly, the Commissioner of Education hires the superintendent.

Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:

I thought the financial managemnet was controlled / approved by the BoE - wouldn't they be the one's to lobby and vent any anger or dissatisfaction with educational issues?

Posted on: 2007/5/18 12:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah, I'm tucking my head between my knees and praying McCann stays in. We need someone on the Board who is actually qualified. This is not a comment on current Board members, only on the recent BOE election.

ok, everyone feel free to rip me to shreds for this comment..

in 5.... 4.... 3.... 2...

Posted on: 2007/5/18 12:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Lets just hope McCann gets the 'boot' and Jenny gets the BoE position - that would be first thing I'd hope for.

I thought the financial managemnet was controlled / approved by the BoE - wouldn't they be the one's to lobby and vent any anger or dissatisfaction with educational issues?

Posted on: 2007/5/18 11:29

Demand Reform of Jersey City Schools!

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/5/21 15:34
Group:
Registered Users
I wanted to let all of you know JC Families For Better Schools have started an email and letter writing campaign to the powers that be in Trenton. We are asking several critical questions: What sort of standards does the Jersey City District have to meet as a State run district (particularly since we have been under state control for nearly twenty years). How will reintergration of the district to local control be managed? What are the implications of future Abbott funding once local control is gained? What is being done about the lack of accountability in the financial management of the district? Is Dr. Epps being given another 3 year contract?

Click on the link below and put in your information. You have the ability to add more comments if you would like.

Shelley Skinner

Posted on: 2007/5/18 2:55

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017