Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
125 user(s) are online (112 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 125

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Bribe-taker is rehired whistleblower dumped on
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/4 19:36
From McGinley Square / Lincoln Park
Group:
Registered Users
Changing the subject a bit, but the part below caught my eye. As far as I can tell, every JC cab is a retired NYC cab, which means they already have 5 years service and at least 300,000 miles on them. So JC lets these pieces of crap back on the road for another 6+ years, or do they count from the beginning and need an extention after 20 months? Either way, the physical state of the cabs in this city scares me. In 5 years I've never seen one with 3 working seatbelts in back. Anyone remember those articles in the JJ about how nearly every single cab was failing spot inspections?

Quote:

GrovePath wrote:

Earl Morgan -- Jersey Journal -- Tuesday, April 03, 2007
The court also agreed with Ayad's allegation that he had good reason to believe his office was violating its own procedures, not to mention violating city ordinances, mandating that taxis that are six years, eight months old be taken out of operation unless they are granted an extension.

Ayad alleged that too many taxi extensions were being issued. The jury further agreed with Ayad's claim that he was harassed for daring to bring these violations to the attention of his supervisors.

Posted on: 2007/4/3 20:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/16 20:23
From not downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bdlaw wrote:

Incidentally, thread title needs serious help.

Here, I fixed it:

"Bribe-taker rehired, erstwhile whistleblower dumped on by Fat-Ass-Bike."

Posted on: 2007/4/3 20:30
I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food.
W. C. Fields

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/6/1 2:41
Group:
Banned
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
But, he noted, he retained his own hard copies of the documents

This is why this guy will get fired, and will have to sue them again, I bet.

Incidentally, thread title needs serious help.

Posted on: 2007/4/3 20:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
It might highlight a bottomless pit of crime and corruption.

Someone should do a tv series based on Jersey City Politics. It could be called "Mud on the Hudson an insight on local government - JC style"

Posted on: 2007/4/3 20:18
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/5/11 3:55
Group:
Banned
why the secrecy about the bribe-taking rehired housing inspector's identity?

Posted on: 2007/4/3 17:10

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/5/31 21:50
Group:
Registered Users
ugh, that's disgusting.

Posted on: 2007/4/3 17:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
What are the odds for the whistleblower to have his house and computer burnt down and destroyed or is accidentally killed?
Will he commit suicide or be found wearing concrete shoes in the Hudson?
Will he be given a siht load of money to destroy those files and shout up?
Or will his computer back-up files reveal all?

Same bat-time, same bat-channel, same bat-corrupt public servants, all here in Jersey City!

Posted on: 2007/4/3 16:27
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/16 20:23
From not downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Just waiting for him to be added to the list of Jersey City School Board nominees.

-M

Posted on: 2007/4/3 16:11
I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food.
W. C. Fields

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
I was getting worried that 2 weeks had passed without another scum-bag JC government employee fcuking up.
I guess the 'felon' got his second chance at government employment through the re-employ 'felon program'.

Posted on: 2007/4/3 15:06

Bribe-taker is rehired whistleblower dumped on
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Bribe-taker is rehired whistleblower dumped on

Earl Morgan -- Jersey Journal -- Tuesday, April 03, 2007

I n what city can a taxi inspector caught taking bribes be arrested, admit his guilt and several years later be rehired as a housing code enforcement inspector?

If you guessed Jersey City, you'd be on the money. Not only did the taxi inspector eventually return to the city's employ, but a colleague, George Ayad, who blew the whistle on the bribe-taker, found himself subjected to such intense harassment that he took a short medical leave that his superiors managed to spin into several years.

The upshot was that after 13 years on the job with the Jersey City Taxi and Limousine Commission, Ayad has been existing in a sort of employment twilight zone since April 2004, neither working nor fired - all the while without a paycheck.

Meanwhile, the city rehired the bribe-taker as a housing code inspector.

Last month, Ayad was finally vindicated in court, where a jury awarded him $40,000 in back pay and hopefully his job back. The court also agreed with Ayad's allegation that he had good reason to believe his office was violating its own procedures, not to mention violating city ordinances, mandating that taxis that are six years, eight months old be taken out of operation unless they are granted an extension.

Ayad alleged that too many taxi extensions were being issued. The jury further agreed with Ayad's claim that he was harassed for daring to bring these violations to the attention of his supervisors.

This story began unfolding during the latter months of 2000, Ayad said.

"A lot of us suspected this one inspector who worked with us was taking money from the drivers, but no one said anything," Ayad said. "However, when I heard that this guy was telling people he was taking money, I went to the cops."

The Jersey City Police Department's Special Investigation Unit charged the inspector with "bribery in official and political matters."

The suspect, through his lawyer, Jerramiah Healy (yes, the same Jerramiah Healy who is now mayor), worked out an arrangement that allowed him to forego a jail sentence in exchange for confessing to the crime. And confess he did, naming both drivers and taxi owners who gave him envelopes containing cash.

The offending inspector, in his confession, told the Prosecutor's Office that a former director of the Taxi and Limousine Commission, now deceased, told him there was nothing wrong with "taking gifts."

Meanwhile, things weren't going well for Ayad, who was battling his supervisors over cab ownership transfers and extensions being awarded to cabs that reached or were approaching the 80 months operating limit allowed under the state law and city ordinances.

In April 2004, Ayad said, he took a medical leave of absence. Initially he was supposed to return to work in February 2005 and for a short while he was back at his desk. But only two weeks after resuming his duties, Ayad said, he was instructed to report to the city's Department of Personnel.

"When I went to personnel I was told that I didn't have a doctor's note to come back to work and I was not to return to my office until I got one."

Well, Monday Ayad finally returned to work only to discover that files pertaining to the taxi extensions are gone.

"They've all disappeared," Ayad said. But, he noted, he retained his own hard copies of the documents and duplicate files should also be stored in the state Department of Community Affairs computer system.

Why are the files gone and who deleted them? Stay tuned.

Posted on: 2007/4/3 14:22

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017