Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
143 user(s) are online (128 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 143

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: New Jersey renters also to get property tax relief -- Corzine said renters also need help
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/12/15 2:25
Group:
Registered Users
I agree with Zeitlinger, the idea is idiotic. Increase sales tax so we can send rebates for property tax.

Posted on: 2006/12/9 16:04

Re: New Jersey renters also to get property tax relief -- Corzine said renters also need help
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Who'll get this tax relief they're talking about?

Ron Zeitlinger -- Opinion Column -- Jersey Journal -- Dec 09

E xcuse me for not getting my mind around it just yet, but I don't get how the state is providing property tax rebates for families who rent.

Call me crazy, but I thought a rebate was a giveback for an amount that you paid. So just how do renters get a rebate for something they never paid in the first place? The state is throwing around the figure of 20 percent. Maybe renters, since they pay zero in property tax, will get 20 percent of that.

I only really want one answer. Who do I impeach when my property taxes go toward rebates for people who don't actually pay property taxes? Hey, Gov, stop handing out the crazy pills.

Another part of the property tax plan is just as special. It says property tax rebates would go only to those families that make less than $100,000 a year. Great, that eliminates almost everyone who owns a house.

Posted on: 2006/12/9 10:49

New Jersey renters also to get property tax relief -- Corzine said renters also need help
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
New Jersey renters also to get property tax relief
By TOM HESTER Jr.
Associated Press Writer

December 5, 2006, 4:34 PM EST
TRENTON, N.J. -- New Jersey's 2.5 million renters will be included in lawmakers' plans to cut property taxes and may see their current tax rebates significantly increased, legislative leaders said Tuesday after the governor insisted tenants should get tax relief.

Though New Jersey's four-month-old property tax reform effort by lawmakers has largely focused on homeowners, and put 70 percent of state homeowners in line for a 20 percent property tax cut, Gov. Jon S. Corzine said renters also need help from the nation's highest property taxes.

"I believe that property taxes flow directly through rental bills to rental payers in the state, and to not reflect that I think would be unfortunate," the governor said. "Whether in the budget or directly in the program, I want to see action on it."

New Jersey has 3.4 million homes, with about 65 percent occupied by their owners, according to the U.S. Census.

Tenants have been eligible for $75 tax rebates checks. Corzine said he wants to see that increased "significantly."

"It's not really adequate in providing a real lift," said Corzine, who added he would prefer tenant relief be focused on those earning $50,000 or less per year.

"We focus it on those with the greatest need. I think the public can understand that it would be a very positive program to try to keep people in homes, children in homes," the governor said.

Senate President Richard J. Codey and Assembly Speaker Joseph Roberts Jr. said they share Corzine's wishes that renters be included.

"They're going to be," said Codey, D-Essex. "I gave him my commitment."

Codey said nothing's been finalized, but said tenant rebate checks could increase to around $150. Roberts wouldn't discuss a number. "It has to increase significantly from where it is now because $75 is a pittance," he said.

Corzine said tenants shouldn't expect the same relief as homeowners.

"You'd love to see renters get the same kind of percentages that you might see in other places, but that may not be possible," he said. "We have to make tough choices. We're not going to resolve everybody's demands to the full satisfaction."

Codey and Roberts on Monday said the 20 percent property tax cut, the centerpiece of a 98-point property tax reform plan unveiled Nov. 15 by Democrats who control the Legislature, will go to homeowners in households earning $100,000 or less, or about 75 percent of New Jersey homeowners.

Other homeowners in households earning more than $100,000 will get 15 and 10 percent cuts, though Codey and Roberts said part of the plan hasn't been finalized.

The plan would be paid with money that has gone toward rebates, from this year's sales tax increase and perhaps from selling and leasing state assets such as toll roads.

Corzine hasn't committed to the plan by his fellow Democrats to give a 20 percent cut to those earning $100,000 or less, but seemed to lean toward it Tuesday.

"We're very close," Corzine said. "There's been great cooperation."

The four special legislative committees that developed the 98 ideas to cut property taxes are scheduled to hold public hearings on their plans on Thursday. The Legislature could vote on the bills next week. They propose revised school funding and government worker benefits and offer ways to make it easier for local governments to consolidate and share services.

Public worker unions on Tuesday decried how many proposed public worker benefits reforms are included in the proposal.

"This bill tramples on the collective bargaining process and makes radical changes to the negotiated pension, health and vacation benefits of hundreds of thousands of state and local government workers," said Chris Shelton, a Communications Workers of America vice president.

Posted on: 2006/12/6 4:17

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017