Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
66 user(s) are online (61 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 66

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Cute Cold Cats In Liberty State Park
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/3/29 15:26
From The Heights!
Group:
Registered Users
Incorrect. This is an opinion. There is a difference. If you are so concerned about these cats, use your time and energy to find them homes instead of bashing an agency that works to help animals.

Posted on: 2018/1/3 14:10

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/30 21:52
From Liberty State Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CatsnDogs wrote:
Instead of increasing its cat adoptions to make space, this has apparently become Liberty Humane Society's way of keeping its shelter cat capacity down by not picking up stray friendly cats.

They think this is the new wave for lost and stray cats. Well it is not. Especially in a tough cold urban landscape like Jersey City. How could they turn down two friendly cats living directly on the cold waterfront with no protection from the element.

And if these two cats are not spayed or neutered why does Liberty Humane think its okay to allow them to remain unsterilized to add more litters of kittens to the already behemoth amount of unsterilized cats on our streets. This is what our tax dollars are paying for.

There are dozens and dozens of complaints about LHS not responding to friendly homeless cats and it is time for this to change.

This is the truth!

Posted on: 2018/1/3 2:57

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The Heights!
Group:
Registered Users
I?m not sure what you expect LHS to do. They quite simply do do not have the means to help all ?friendly? outdoor cats in JC. If they did, they would. It is easier to find additional animal rescue organizations in our area than it is to register an account to post for the first time on JC List. If someone googles ?Jersey City cat rescue? I am sure that information is available.

It is clear you are unsatisified with LHS with this situation. Time to move on as posting here is not going to accomplish anything towards the goal of helping these two cats. There are rules and procedures that the organization has in place. Just because we, the members of the public, do not understand or even agree with them, does not change anything. And really... ?on top of what they make as a shelter?? Yeah- LHS is rolling in the cash as we speak. Have you been there? Have any idea how hard the staff works for the salaries they receive? Dedication and passion for helping animals is what I see when I am there volunteering. That and nothing else. Anyone who implies differently is quite simply wrong.

Posted on: 2018/1/3 0:46

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Liberty State Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mle267 wrote:
LHS has successfully placed cats in warehouses, barns and other such situations when the cats are not looking to live with a family. I know they are always looking for other contacts of places for cats like this. Free rodent control!

LHS would not help in any way with these two "friendly" cats! Not even offer other outside party contact info. LHS now collects all the money for animal control for Hudson County on top of what they make as a shelter - so it is their job to help but they did nothing!

Posted on: 2018/1/2 17:21

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The Heights!
Group:
Registered Users
LHS has successfully placed cats in warehouses, barns and other such situations when the cats are not looking to live with a family. I know they are always looking for other contacts of places for cats like this. Free rodent control!

Posted on: 2018/1/2 16:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
no doubt that lhs has limited resources and i am not criticizing but the "cat farm" idea got me wondering if perhaps lhs could partner with a farm/nursery (after building large fences to keep them in) to take care of these cats. cats could help with rodent issues.Quote:

mle267 wrote:

The staff of LHS works with what limited resources they have to help the greatest number of animals and people possible. There are constant efforts to get cats (and dogs, ferrets, guinea pigs, rabbits and whatever other animals are there) adopted. LHS also works with citizens who find themselves in the unfortunate situation of having to give up their pets.

I am unclear as to what people expect LHS to do regarding the large numbers of stray cats in our city. Trust me, if they could fix the problem (no pun intended) I am more than confident they would.

Our tax dollars are already being used for general operation of the shelter, and luckily thousands of generous donors and volunteers give of their money and time each year to help our city's homeless animals. In a dream world, LHS would have a huge facility- able to take in literally every cat or other animal that needs a home. At this point, that is obviously not the case. Actually, a dream world would have no need for an animal shelter...
As a member of the public, I might not understand each policy that is in place, but I defer to the expertise and experience of the shelter administration and staff to make the decisions that best serve our community. I also volunteer at the shelter, make financial donations when I can and have fostered over 40 kittens in the past several years.

I understand that you feel there are "dozens and dozens of complaints about LHS..." and I can assure you that there are dozens and dozens of instances where LHS has literally saved lives. I would be interested in knowing what your suggestions are about how LHS can better serve homeless cats- and I am sure they would consider them as well, understanding the parameters of their realities as they plan policies and procedures for helping animals as best they can.

Thank you to those who have provided the original poster with ideas about local organizations and individuals to contact.

Posted on: 2018/1/2 16:02

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The Heights!
Group:
Registered Users

The staff of LHS works with what limited resources they have to help the greatest number of animals and people possible. There are constant efforts to get cats (and dogs, ferrets, guinea pigs, rabbits and whatever other animals are there) adopted. LHS also works with citizens who find themselves in the unfortunate situation of having to give up their pets.

I am unclear as to what people expect LHS to do regarding the large numbers of stray cats in our city. Trust me, if they could fix the problem (no pun intended) I am more than confident they would.

Our tax dollars are already being used for general operation of the shelter, and luckily thousands of generous donors and volunteers give of their money and time each year to help our city's homeless animals. In a dream world, LHS would have a huge facility- able to take in literally every cat or other animal that needs a home. At this point, that is obviously not the case. Actually, a dream world would have no need for an animal shelter...
As a member of the public, I might not understand each policy that is in place, but I defer to the expertise and experience of the shelter administration and staff to make the decisions that best serve our community. I also volunteer at the shelter, make financial donations when I can and have fostered over 40 kittens in the past several years.

I understand that you feel there are "dozens and dozens of complaints about LHS..." and I can assure you that there are dozens and dozens of instances where LHS has literally saved lives. I would be interested in knowing what your suggestions are about how LHS can better serve homeless cats- and I am sure they would consider them as well, understanding the parameters of their realities as they plan policies and procedures for helping animals as best they can.

Thank you to those who have provided the original poster with ideas about local organizations and individuals to contact.

Posted on: 2018/1/2 15:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
this is even better for the cats. it's been awhile since i've been by the botanical gardens in BsAs.Quote:

mle267 wrote:
In Buenos Aires, they took most of the cats out of the Botanical Garden to a "farm." (I miss seeing them there...)

Posted on: 2018/1/2 14:59

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The Heights!
Group:
Registered Users
Except for July and August when it is winter. It doesn't get as cold as here, but it definitely gets cold!

Posted on: 2018/1/2 14:30

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Liberty State Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mle267 wrote:
In Buenos Aires, they took most of the cats out of the Botanical Garden to a "farm." (I miss seeing them there...)

It is always warm in Buenos Aires!

http://www.holiday-weather.com/buenos_aires/averages/

Posted on: 2018/1/2 14:23

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The Heights!
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2018/1/2 14:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
i was watching a pbs show about cats the other night ...and it says that ferral cats are excellent hunters, killing many millions of mammals each year, including rabbits and other widelife each year....makes me wonder if maybe someone wants to communicate this to folsp, lhs and others responsible....in buenos aires, they house all many of the stray cats at the botanical gardens..maybe jersy city or nj needs its own botanical gardens....food for though

Posted on: 2017/12/30 0:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
Have you had any success with any of these suggestions? If not, please can call the Health Dept. 201-547-6800. Ask for the Health Officer for a companion about Animal Control complaint.

Posted on: 2017/12/29 22:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

CatsnDogs wrote:
Instead of increasing its cat adoptions to make space, this has apparently become Liberty Humane Society's way of keeping its shelter cat capacity down by not picking up stray friendly cats.

What is it you expect them to do? I seriously doubt they're hoarding cats to gratify themselves. In my observation they're doing all they can within their capacity and budget. I'm sure you know there are reasons beyond budget why zero cost adoptions are discouraged, but even so they have discounted adoption periods.

Posted on: 2017/12/25 17:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CoolCats wrote:
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
Jersey Cats is another good organization you may also want to check with.If the cats are very tame, they may be able to take them into their program for fostering and adoption.

They are very tame! Do you have any contact names or numbers for Jersey Cats? Thanks for your help.

Check out http://jerseycats.org

Posted on: 2017/12/23 23:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/24 17:22
Group:
Registered Users

They think this is the new wave for lost and stray cats. Well it is not. Especially in a tough cold urban landscape like Jersey City. How could they turn down two friendly cats living directly on the cold waterfront with no protection from the element.

And if these two cats are not spayed or neutered why does Liberty Humane think its okay to allow them to remain unsterilized to add more litters of kittens to the already behemoth amount of unsterilized cats on our streets. This is what our tax dollars are paying for.

There are dozens and dozens of complaints about LHS not responding to friendly homeless cats and it is time for this to change.

Posted on: 2017/12/22 21:18

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Liberty State Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
Jersey Cats is another good organization you may also want to check with.If the cats are very tame, they may be able to take them into their program for fostering and adoption.

They are very tame! Do you have any contact names or numbers for Jersey Cats? Thanks for your help.

Posted on: 2017/12/20 22:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I suggest contacting Carol McNichol at Companion Animal Trust for advice/potential help. She is also at the Fussy Friends pet store hosting adoptions every Sunday, so you can drop in and talk with her there also (though not sure if she will be there this Sun. with the holidays). Jersey Cats is another good organization you may also want to check with.If the cats are very tame, they may be able to take them into their program for fostering and adoption.

Posted on: 2017/12/20 15:00

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Liberty State Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CoolCats wrote:
Resized Image

Resized Image

These 2 very cute cats have been living on the South Side of Liberty State Park for a long time. If anyone has an outdoor space for them or inside it would be really nice. They are very sweet and just getting older and it is getting colder out. We are happy to help with the future costs! Please PM us. Any advice or help would really be great. They have a lot of feeders and we have tried to build them a hut for the winter but they live right out on the windy rocks and have to compete with very aggressive gulls and pigeons for any food. Here some pictures. The brown tortie cat is know as Roxy (lives in the rocks) and the white female is called Libby (Liberty Statue). If you can make their life nicer that would be great. They are very close and should stay together.

Please PM or even better you can email us at.

jerseycitydogs ( at ) g m a i l . c o m

Brewster or anyone else who can help - these two cute cats live on the south side of Liberty State Park - by parking lot next to bathroom building, near the Kayak launch area, second lamp post from the end - you will see the huts in the rocks. We are happy to pay all expenses.

Posted on: 2017/12/19 20:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
I've noticed a lot of stray cats around jc. isn't there sometype of pill that one can give the cats to neutralize them, especially the females? I frequently donate to animal charities, maybe I need to open my wallet for lhs?

No pills. You can donate to LHS or Friends of Animals. I actually took the young female cat of some low functioning neighbors to LHS when they had a special discount program and paid for her spaying.

Posted on: 2017/12/19 19:47

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Liberty State Park
Group:
Registered Users
We have adopted cats through LHS, in this case they clearly don't want to help in any way. I think their resources are largely taken up with the big dogs they tend to feature. Our last adopted cat had a case of very bad fleas and an unclear vet & shots history.

In the case of these two little cats, LHS offered us no help at all, and we even offered to donate whatever money would be needed!

Please stay on topic - forget LHS - we just need someone with indoor or outdoor space that can help these two. Anyone can go see these two girl cats and see why we are so concerned.

Posted on: 2017/12/19 19:25

Edited by CoolCats on 2017/12/19 19:41:58
Edited by CoolCats on 2017/12/19 19:42:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I've noticed a lot of stray cats around jc. isn't there sometype of pill that one can give the cats to neutralize them, especially the females? I frequently donate to animal charities, maybe I need to open my wallet for lhs?

Posted on: 2017/12/19 19:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

CoolCats wrote:
t LHS is useless - they only want house cats and really mostly kittens

They do a lot of good work and take in a lot of cats, so many that they need to give friction to the process and push people to solve the problem themselves if at all possible. One reason they always try and take kittens is they can ensure they get sterilized and not continue the problem, rather than they end up privately adopted and unsterilized. We've fostered over 30 kittens for them.

Posted on: 2017/12/19 19:04

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Liberty State Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CatsnDogs wrote:
It looks like the white one has an eartip. That means he was trapped neutered and returned.

All the ears are pointy- and though there are a lot of visitors feeding these girls - we had to build the winter shelters ourselves - and the park will likely remove them. There is NO organized TNR happening here. Both cats seem fixed but can't really say.

Quote:

Have you reached out to Liberty Humane?

Yes - but LHS is useless - they only want house cats and really mostly kittens - they didn't even have any contact people for outside help.

Animal control is also useless!

Posted on: 2017/12/19 17:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
It looks like the white one has an eartip. That means he was trapped neutered and returned. Does the other cat have a left ear tip?

Have you reached out to Liberty Humane?

Posted on: 2017/12/19 16:52

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Liberty State Park
Group:
Registered Users
These are very socialized to people - they are very tame - they seem to have been indoor cats in the past - likely just dumped there. They try to get into the cars of people who feed them.

Posted on: 2017/12/18 1:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Are these feral cats or tame cats?

Posted on: 2017/12/17 13:26

Cute Cold Cats In Liberty State Park

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Liberty State Park
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Resized Image

These 2 very cute cats have been living on the South Side of Liberty State Park for a long time. If anyone has an outdoor space for them or inside it would be really nice. They are very sweet and just getting older and it is getting colder out. We are happy to help with the future costs! Please PM us. Any advice or help would really be great. They have a lot of feeders and we have tried to build them a hut for the winter but they live right out on the windy rocks and have to compete with very aggressive gulls and pigeons for any food. Here some pictures. The brown tortie cat is know as Roxy (lives in the rocks) and the white female is called Libby (Liberty Statue). If you can make their life nicer that would be great. They are very close and should stay together.

Please PM or even better you can email us at.

jerseycitydogs ( at ) g m a i l . c o m

Posted on: 2017/12/16 20:03

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017