Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
114 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 114

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Building Management Failed to Disclose Parking Restriction and Violated Ordinance 257-6
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

KMont484 wrote:
Is this true? I know buildings like the Columbus Towers are not eligible for permits bc those buildings are not zoned (plus they do offer garage parking for a very high fee. But I believe 18 Park and 225 Grand residents CAN get street parking permits but also have parking garages offered.

You can only get a street permit if you get a letter from the landlord stating that the garage is already full and there are no parking spaces available for rent in these buildings.

Posted on: 2017/10/18 20:59

Re: Building Management Failed to Disclose Parking Restriction and Violated Ordinance 257-6

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/30 17:01
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Is this true? I know buildings like the Columbus Towers are not eligible for permits bc those buildings are not zoned (plus they do offer garage parking for a very high fee. But I believe 18 Park and 225 Grand residents CAN get street parking permits but also have parking garages offered.

Posted on: 2017/10/18 20:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/12 21:59
From Harsuimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
It seems you have two optiosn, sue the landlord or don't sign a renewal and find another place. I don't know if the law quires landlords to disclose the parking ordinances, but maybe the threat of suing, or leaving could get you free parking, or a rent reduction to offset the cost of parking.

The squeaky wheel gets the oil. It's just that you have to be prepared to walk away.

It sucks that the city screwed up, but at least it was in your favor for five years.

Posted on: 2017/10/18 19:43

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/16 0:23
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MattJC79 wrote:
I was able to buy a street parking pass for five years in a row when I moved here.

When I tried to renew last year, the parking authority sent back my check with a hand written note saying "sorry, your building provides parking". They do provide parking at $200 plus, per month. I contacted the parking authority to find out what changed, and they did not get back to me. I contacted Candice, on the city council and she forwarded my email to the head of the parking authority.

They simply responded, "the building provides parking". Apparently, the parking authority made a mistake issuing me a street permit five years in a row. Sort of strange. It was a bummer, but since I leave for work everyday at 7AM and dont get back until 6, I can still park on the street with an expired pass. They dont seem to enforce over the weekends or after normal work hours.

When I sign and resign my lease they never mention I am not eligible for a street pass.

Thank you for your feedback. I was considering contacting my councilman, but from your experience it does not seem that it would get me anywhere.
That is very frustrating to learn after 5 years that now you are ineligible. If I had known of the restriction prior to signing the lease, I would have continued my apartment search in another neighborhood.

Posted on: 2017/10/18 18:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

consejera wrote:
Thank you for the clarity. The Parking Authority informed us that our address is not eligible for a street parking permit. Therefore, I am assuming that the building was required to provide off-street parking as part of their plan.

Does your building have a parking lot/deck/area? If so, you are not entitled to a street parking permit.

Posted on: 2017/10/18 2:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MattJC79 wrote:
They dont seem to enforce over the weekends or after normal work hours.

Permit parking is only enforced from 8 AM to 5 PM, during weekdays. That, in turn, means that permit parking is only effectively enforced from 10 AM to 3 PM, as you are only in violation of permit regulations if you are parked within a zone for more than two hours. If you leave a zone before 10 AM, or park in a given zone after 3 PM, you are in the clear.

Posted on: 2017/10/18 2:15

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/29 4:32
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I was able to buy a street parking pass for five years in a row when I moved here.

When I tried to renew last year, the parking authority sent back my check with a hand written note saying "sorry, your building provides parking". They do provide parking at $200 plus, per month. I contacted the parking authority to find out what changed, and they did not get back to me. I contacted Candice, on the city council and she forwarded my email to the head of the parking authority.

They simply responded, "the building provides parking". Apparently, the parking authority made a mistake issuing me a street permit five years in a row. Sort of strange. It was a bummer, but since I leave for work everyday at 7AM and dont get back until 6, I can still park on the street with an expired pass. They dont seem to enforce over the weekends or after normal work hours.

When I sign and resign my lease they never mention I am not eligible for a street pass.

Posted on: 2017/10/18 0:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
You don't need to name the building, but what's the name of the management company? I've heard of a few companies in and around Jersey City with a less than stellar reputation that would do something like this.

Posted on: 2017/10/17 23:20

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Thank you for the clarity. The Parking Authority informed us that our address is not eligible for a street parking permit. Therefore, I am assuming that the building was required to provide off-street parking as part of their plan.

Posted on: 2017/10/17 23:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

consejera wrote:
The building management where I reside did not provide notice, prior to us signing our lease, that their tenants are ineligible for the street parking permit as per the Jersey City Ordinance, 257-6. - "Disclosure of availability of zoned parking permits for residential buildings."
(Buildings with 5 units or more are ineligible for street parking, and the landlord is responsible for providing this notice in writing prior to a prospective tenant signing the lease.)

Link to the ordinance:
https://library.municode.com/nj/jersey ... PRTR_S257-6DIAVZOPAPEREBU

Consequently, we will have to park in a garage and pay $200 extra monthly. Despite the management now knowing that they violated the ordinance, they do not think that they are responsible and will not work with us to alleviate the cost of parking.

Has anyone had a similar experience? If so, what was the result if you took action?

Your assertion is incorrect: buildings with five, or more, units are NOT automatically ineligible for street parking! The residents of said buildings are only ineligible for street parking permits IF the building was required to provide off-street parking. Buildings that were not required to build off street parking as part of their approved plans are not restricted in any way.

Posted on: 2017/10/17 22:33

Building Management Failed to Disclose Parking Restriction and Violated Ordinance 257-6

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The building management where I reside did not provide notice, prior to us signing our lease, that their tenants are ineligible for the street parking permit as per the Jersey City Ordinance, 257-6. - "Disclosure of availability of zoned parking permits for residential buildings."
(Buildings with 5 units or more are ineligible for street parking, and the landlord is responsible for providing this notice in writing prior to a prospective tenant signing the lease.)

Link to the ordinance:
https://library.municode.com/nj/jersey ... PRTR_S257-6DIAVZOPAPEREBU

Consequently, we will have to park in a garage and pay $200 extra monthly. Despite the management now knowing that they violated the ordinance, they do not think that they are responsible and will not work with us to alleviate the cost of parking.

Has anyone had a similar experience? If so, what was the result if you took action?

Posted on: 2017/10/17 21:10

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017