Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
98 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 98

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: The TOD-W Zone
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dr_nick_riviera wrote:
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
NYC recently passed legislation requiring mandatory inclusion of affordable housing (MIH) in new construction in re-zoned areas. Here is an interesting follow-up read - not to say things all things are equal between development here and NYC, but there some are saying even with zoning bonuses, affordable housing won't be built without tax breaks as well - http://therealdeal.com/2016/03/23/leg ... ffectiveness-without-421a

The tax abatements may be on the table for a while here, to incentive the construction of affordable housing.

I don't have confirmation this was included in the legislation passed yesterday, but it would seem NYC eliminated parking requirements for such construction in the new zones: http://www.capitalnewyork.com/article ... ighs-reduced-requirements

This absolutely needs to happen in Downtown.

Dr. Nick, if you attended the town hall meeting in Ward E, that is not what the residents requested. They took Fulop to task for creating new development without parking. More than one person spoke on this subject. This subject also came up in Wards D and A.

Posted on: 2016/3/26 21:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/3 18:37
From DTJC
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
NYC recently passed legislation requiring mandatory inclusion of affordable housing (MIH) in new construction in re-zoned areas. Here is an interesting follow-up read - not to say things all things are equal between development here and NYC, but there some are saying even with zoning bonuses, affordable housing won't be built without tax breaks as well - http://therealdeal.com/2016/03/23/leg ... ffectiveness-without-421a

The tax abatements may be on the table for a while here, to incentive the construction of affordable housing.

I don't have confirmation this was included in the legislation passed yesterday, but it would seem NYC eliminated parking requirements for such construction in the new zones: http://www.capitalnewyork.com/article ... ighs-reduced-requirements

This absolutely needs to happen in Downtown.

Posted on: 2016/3/24 19:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/3/24 17:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
What is ordinance 16.050? I assume it hasn't been adopted yet, as it's not listed on Municode, and I can't find any information by searching on-line.

MuniCode probably only has zoning code, not redevelopment plans.

Posted on: 2016/3/22 20:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
It is a second reading ordinance for 3/22/16. Two weeks ago, the city council passed market rate housing with little affordable housing for 30 years. This is the property across the street from Wonder Baggel on Bergen Avenue. Councilwoman Coleman said they deserve the tax abatement due to their amenities. When I asked what amenities she said they will have open space in the building. I then reminded her that I as a citizen can not access the open space which is roof top space. The city also said there will be only 4 children in the space even though it has 16 two bedroom apartments. The bottom line is market rate housing is given tax abatements is there is a hint of affordable housing.

Posted on: 2016/3/22 18:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/7 3:26
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
For reference on what various densities per acre would look like in real life.

http://seattletransitblog.com/2011/09 ... sity-an-ill-defined-term/

Posted on: 2016/3/22 18:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
What is ordinance 16.050? I assume it hasn't been adopted yet, as it's not listed on Municode, and I can't find any information by searching on-line.

But not knowing the particulars, JC seems to be following the pattern of NYC, which is to incentive the construction of affordable housing by changing the zoning. NYC's approach was more comprehensive, including increasing height limits, and reducing required parking, to enable more high-value units as well as more units on the site. This coming after NYC's tax abatement program, 421A, was allowed to lapse after having been shown to do very little to produce affordable housing.

I suspect we may not see significant affordable units as a tradeoff for the alleged reduction of ratable properties, but I wonder what other incentives can JC offer other than this? There are too many neighborhoods with minimal/no mass transit, and few amenities, to entice developers to build bigger and denser - the desirable resident demographic may just not be there yet.

Posted on: 2016/3/22 17:31

The TOD-W Zone
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
City ordinance 16.050 allows the city to change the density through an affordable housing bonus. The density increases from 125 to 200 units per acre if 5% or 3 units, whichever is greater is affordable. This is the Morris Canal Redevelopment Plan. I am sure the everything will be tax abated for 3 units of affordable housing.

Posted on: 2016/3/22 16:55

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017