Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
114 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 114

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Would bars revitalize Ocean Avenue in Jersey City?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/7 19:50
From Bergen-Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
It seems to me it depends on the character of the bar, and the clientele they are hoping to attract.

An upscale/stylish lounge, with good food and perhaps outdoor caf? seating in nice weather would probably be an asset to the neighborhood. A quality establishment would bring life to the streetscape, and give both newcomers as well as more established residents who genuinely care about the neighborhood a place to meet, as well as a visible sign of an urban neighborhood being on the rise - a social amenity. If it had really good music, say, or a distinctive menu, it could bring people from outside of the neighborhood, helping improve the areas image.

It seems the community is opposed to this as they are expecting the worst. I don't live there, so I don't know. I do know in the Heights there were a lot more low-class establishments when I moved in 7 years ago; 2 have closed and been replaced with places that draw in a bigger section of new arrivals in the neighborhood, and enhance the quality of Palisade Avenue. Others are under new management, and get good reviews for their food, music, etc. So if there is change in the air in the neighborhood to capitalize on, bars can work.

I was at the Planning Board meeting when the community was there and when this came up prior to the city council vote. The people from Greenville were not objecting to liquor being served per se *at all* and nor were they against progress, like some people here are insinuating; rather, they were objecting to language they had repeatedly questioned in the Redevelopment Plan, which allowed "bars" and "nightclubs." They had no problem with restaurants that serve liquor, BYOB restaurants, or cafes.

The planners, in particular one of them, however, were adamant that they believed such establishments as "bars" and "nightclubs" would eventually bring desirable commerce to the neighborhood--over and over, despite repeated objections. They eventually agreed to suggest different language--and this only with the prodding of Boggiano. Boggiano stated more than once that the Plan could be amended later to include these types of places but if the community wanted the exclude them, they had the right to revisit the issue later.

Posted on: 2015/12/17 17:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
In order to revitalize an area, you have to displace the critical mass of local thugs and miscreants that prevent an area from succeeding.

You will NEVER accomplish this task through making new bars.

Posted on: 2015/12/17 4:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/17 3:49
From Erie
Group:
Registered Users
I drove the length of Ocean today while working. I don't know if a bar is going to do it..... ha

But for real though, on the southern end, the intersection of Ocean and Lembeck is where I'd start my restaurateuring. 4 good looking buildings anchoring that corner. Solidly built houses. Seems to be a lot of actual normal people living there. You could open a bar there and it probably wouldn't be the end of the world.

It's that Beiruity section between like Danforth and, well really the rest of it. That's gonna take some doing.

Hey how is O'Leary's by the way? I always mean to stop there, but I only ever remember when I've just passed it.

Posted on: 2015/12/17 3:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
There is one constant in the universe: "the community" is afraid of change, regardless of how good or bad that community is.

Posted on: 2015/12/17 1:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
It seems to me it depends on the character of the bar, and the clientele they are hoping to attract.

An upscale/stylish lounge, with good food and perhaps outdoor caf? seating in nice weather would probably be an asset to the neighborhood. A quality establishment would bring life to the streetscape, and give both newcomers as well as more established residents who genuinely care about the neighborhood a place to meet, as well as a visible sign of an urban neighborhood being on the rise - a social amenity. If it had really good music, say, or a distinctive menu, it could bring people from outside of the neighborhood, helping improve the areas image.

It seems the community is opposed to this as they are expecting the worst. I don't live there, so I don't know. I do know in the Heights there were a lot more low-class establishments when I moved in 7 years ago; 2 have closed and been replaced with places that draw in a bigger section of new arrivals in the neighborhood, and enhance the quality of Palisade Avenue. Others are under new management, and get good reviews for their food, music, etc. So if there is change in the air in the neighborhood to capitalize on, bars can work.

I agree 100% with everything you said, but one would think this is all self-evident, right? It's sad that old timers are often the ones that prevent and delay the very things they claim to see happen. Unfortunately, there is a knee jerk reaction to new businesses and newcomers that can help bring about progress as some sort of gentrification-driven peril that spells eventual displacement for the community at large.

Exactly, our community meetings up here is the newbies vs the old timers. The biggest thing they complain about up here is Parking.. any time a new business is mentioned in any meeting some old timer jumps up and says this needs to be downtown, we can't accommodate the parking LMAO... O'Leary's is not on Ocean its on Garfield and seems to be doing very well.

Posted on: 2015/12/17 1:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:

I agree 100% with everything you said, but one would think this is all self-evident, right? It's sad that old timers are often the ones that prevent and delay the very things they claim to see happen. Unfortunately, there is a knee jerk reaction to new businesses and newcomers that can help bring about progress as some sort of gentrification-driven peril that spells eventual displacement for the community at large.

Posted on: 2015/12/16 22:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/12/16 18:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Start by asking yourself this question a second time.

Posted on: 2015/12/16 16:08
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/5/23 10:53
Group:
Registered Users
Bars on the windows & doors I think they mean!

Posted on: 2015/12/16 14:28

Would bars revitalize Ocean Avenue in Jersey City?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
By The Jersey Journal

Jersey City City Council yesterday decided to scrap plans that would allow bars to open along a portion of Ocean Avenue after residents objected to the proposal.
The provision was part of a plan, set for adoption at tonight's City Council meeting, that targets an area on the southern end of Ocean Avenue that aims to revitalize the area, The Jersey Journal reported yesterday.

The neighborhood is part of the city that struggles with poverty and crime.

"Everywhere people drink, people complain," said Paul Guerra, 24, who runs a nearby deli and grocery store, dismissing complaints that bars would bring more problems.

Ward A Councilman Frank Gajewski, who represents the area, said that he thinks most people want restaurants with bars, not just bars.

More

Posted on: 2015/12/16 12:10

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017