Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
124 user(s) are online (108 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 124

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Private Security Force Joining Camden PD - Could this Happen Here?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
What works the best is community involvement and participation through programs like neighborhood watch and even through landlord and tenant associations in large developments.

Never in the history of policing that I've ever heard in NY, Bayonne or JC will there be a situation when the community says we have too many police officers. What works in my opinion, is when small community and neighborhood groups take ownership of their surrounds and work with the local police to nip issues they might be facing.

With technology being cost effective for the average person to combat anti-social and criminal behavior. It doesn't break the budget to install sensor lights around the house or even the odd CCTV DVR pointing at the front door or where you park the car. Even a few well placed warning signs helps to move on would be criminals.

The next time one walks around the neighborhood look for what doesn't 'fit in - looks out of place' or note cars or people that are new - Its not rocket science to be vigil in a discrete and non-vigilante mindset.

The one thing I hate about 'private security patrolling streets' is that they always look for trouble to justify their presence and expense and could provoke a situation when there isn't one.

On the flip side residents and the community are more likely to be cautious and act as the eyes and ears for the police to intervene. The only thing private security do well is protect property and a defined property line that the public are not permitted.

Posted on: 2014/8/27 1:15
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Re: Private Security Force Joining Camden PD - Could this Happen Here?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
No, this could not happen here.

Several years ago Camden fired their entire unionized police force and replaced them with nonunion. I guess these folks will supplement the nonunion cops.

Unless JC follows Camden in firing all union officers, this will never happen here.

With that said, this story really shows how bad the economy is. People are signing up to "patrol" Camden unarmed! Good luck with that, lol.

http://www.npr.org/2012/12/06/1666587 ... to-dump-city-police-force

Posted on: 2014/8/26 20:29

Edited by JCMan8 on 2014/8/26 20:54:53

Private Security Force Joining Camden PD - Could this Happen Here?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
I remember recently reading an email from Mayor Fulop that mentioned a new "special level" of police officers that he was going to add to the JCPD to enhance their ranks.

Today's South Jersey Times outlines a new way that Camden is dealing with its public safety concerns - hiring a private security firm to "partner" with the police.

I believe Hoboken PD and I think Union City PD had "specials" or Class II police agents that were part time and made a fraction of what traditionally trained police officers did. They performed basic patrolling or helped with the public during events, peak bar times etc.

I don't know how well that all worked out - and that wasn't overseen by a private security firm. This is a 2013 article outlining Class II officers in Hoboken.

Do you think Jersey City will go the way of Camden?

-----------------------------------------------------------
Camden County hires private security to be police 'eyes and ears' for city

By Jason Laday | South Jersey Times
on August 26, 2014 at 6:17 AM, updated August 26, 2014 at 6:20 AM

Camden County has contracted with a private security firm to provide extra walking and bicycle patrols in the city of Camden's downtown business district, alongside the metro division police force.

According to Camden County Police Chief Scott Thomson, the security guards, who currently number about 60, will allow police officers to better focus on patrolling residential neighborhoods. Supplied by the firm Allied Barton, based in Conshohoken, Pennsylvania, the private security guards are completely unarmed ? they are equipped with only a radio ? and will not be making arrests. Instead, according to police and company officials, they are tasked with being "eyes and ears" for the police, as well as assisting residents and business owners who may need help or information.

"What we're doing is putting public safety ambassadors in these areas, which enables us to put greater concentrations of officers in the neighborhoods, to interact with neighbors and the children there," said Thomson. "It's important to note that we're not abandoning the business district in any way ? we'll still be there as well.

"(The private security guards) are not agents of the state, and we don't want them taking physical action against anyone," the chief later added. "Their role will be to let us know if anything is happening."

The county's one-year contract with Allied Barton is for $3 million, paid for with state funds, with an option for a two-year extension. Thomson said he is hoping for a longer term agreement with the company in the future.

Patrolling the areas along Broadway, Federal Street, Haddon Avenue and River Road, officials said the security guards will eventually number about 120, as more personnel are hired out of the company's new branch on Broadway. The current Camden County Police Metro Division numbers 376 officers, with another 32 now in the academy. The department's goal is 411 officers.

Tyrone Johnson, the Allied Barton account manager for Camden, said the guards, who had a heavy presence around the Walter Rand Transportation Center on Friday, donned in highly visible yellow and blue polo shirts, are trained chiefly in CPR, radio work and public relations.

According to company officials, Allied Barton also provides security in and around the University City area of West Philadelphia, and the Kensington neighborhood in northeast Philadelphia, as well as Georgetown in Washington, D.C., and a handful of malls in New Jersey and Pennsylvania.

Johnson, who was born and raised in Camden, said he did not know exactly how many of the guards will hail from the city, adding a "great percentage" will come from local towns.

"I think it's great for the city and for the residents," said Johnson, standing near the transportation center, where one of the guards stood by with a bicycle, and another gave directions to someone passing on the street. Nearby, county police officers surveyed the street from their Eye in the Sky tower. "We're happy to be in this partnership."

The guard with the bicycle, 24-year-old Russell Harris, a Camden native who currently lives in Sicklerville, said he signed up for the job a few months ago and hopes to eventually work his way to becoming a police officer.

"My passion is law enforcement, and I think this is a great opportunity to show what I can contribute," he said. "The response from the residents and other people has been fair ? they've been open and pretty welcoming. Basically, we're here to offer help, whether it's helping a homeless person find a shelter or even give directions."

Link

Posted on: 2014/8/26 20:16

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017