Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
65 user(s) are online (61 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 65

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 »

Re: Jersey City planning $20M City Hall annex on MLK Drive
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

Jersey City Council OKs plan for new City Hall annex buildings at Hub

An $81 million plan to construct a second municipal office building and a parking garage near the City Hall annex on Martin Luther King Drive won final approval from the City Council Wednesday night.

The council voted 7-2 to adopt the plan, which administration officials and their council allies say will add another boost to an area of the city that needs an economic jolt. Council members Rich Boggiano and Michael Yun voted no, saying they believe the deal is a poor one for taxpayers.

http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index ... y_council_oks_plan_f.html

Posted on: 2018/5/15 0:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Jersey City council to consider new City Hall annex project

JERSEY CITY — An $81 million plan to build municipal offices and a parking deck at the Hub shopping center is up for final approval by the City Council on Wednesday night.

The new municipal buildings would rise next to the City Hall annex at the shopping center, located on Martin Luther King Drive. City officials have touted the annex as a major financial investment in an area of the city that struggles with crime and economic malaise.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... r_new_city_hall_anne.html

Posted on: 2018/5/9 3:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
12/27 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Only in JC do we pay $6 million in bonds plus pay rent during construction.

Posted on: 2018/4/22 16:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/1 14:07
From Earth
Group:
Registered Users
Spending those new tax dollars pretty quickly.

Posted on: 2018/4/22 16:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
By The Jersey Journal
Yesterday, at a ribbon cutting for the City Hall Annex in Bergen-Lafayette, Jersey City Mayor Steven Fulop announced a second phase of the project that will see the area known as the Hub renamed "Jackson Square," according to a press release.

The mayor was joined by Sen. Sandra B. Cunningham, Assemblywoman Angela McKnight, and the Jersey City Council.

It was announced that the City Hall Annex will be joined by two new buildings that when done encompass Jackson Square and "a $68 million dollar investment in the area."

According to the city's press release, it's the largest public investment the city has seen in decades.
http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index ... 1.html#incart_river_index

Posted on: 2018/4/21 21:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
By Elana Knopp, April 20, 2018 at 12:22 PM
Jersey City is celebrating the completion of its $24 million City Hall Annex, which will soon house the Department of Health and Human Services and the Department of Housing, Economic Development & Commerce.

The departments had previously rented office space throughout the city.

The project is the largest public investment to occur in the neighborhood in decades and is expected to encourage economic activity in the area.

http://www.njbiz.com/article/20180420 ... -in-jersey-city-completed

Posted on: 2018/4/21 21:02

Bonds and City Hall Annex
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The mayor has been touting that the City Hall Annex will not cost taxpayers money, well that is not true. City ordinance 18-014 transfers $1.8 million to the cost of this annex which is the proceeds of bonds ?not needed for the original purpose.? This follows previous bonds in previous years in which bond money was transferred to approximately $6 million. No other administration had excessive bonds money that was not needed for the original purpose in that amount. Previous administrations transferred extra money in the range of $30,000 or less. Mayor Fulop is over bonding so he can have the cash to transfer to City Hall Annex.

Posted on: 2018/3/5 1:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Jersey City delays ribbon cutting of City Hall annex

JERSEY CITY -- Mayor Steve Fulop was hoping to head into the final weekend of his re-election campaign with a big feather in his cap: the opening of the City Hall annex on Martin Luther King Drive.

The $20 million building, which has quotes from the civil rights leader carved onto its exterior, is one of Fulop's signature achievements for the south side of the city, along with Berry Lane Park and increased police patrols.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... ing_of_city_hall_ann.html

Posted on: 2017/11/2 23:42

Re: MLK City Hall Annex unfinished but taxpayers paying $80,250/month rent
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/28 17:23
From McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

neverleft wrote:
Quote:

mia wrote:
No, the initial date was February 2017, never 2018. Why would we be paying rent if the date was not until 2018? Really... You are confused... A second ordinance was passed about 7 months later, which I cited in the show, to postpone the date to Septemeber 30, 2017.

Let me get this straight the ground breaking for the project was in July 2016 and you are saying it was to be ready in February 2017? Wow they must have planned to have Superman build it like when he put together his Fortress of Solitude in the Arctic Ice.

7/19/2016 JJ : ?a City Hall annex that will house about 300 workers when it opens in February 2018.?

??. will build the 45,000-square-foot annex and lease it to the city for 20 years at a cost of $36 million. After the lease expires, the city will own the building. The city has said if it built the annex on its own, the cost would be $43 million.?

When you interviewed The Healy Clone what did you mean by ?he?s going to be telling a little bit about us?? Oh yeah and nice dig on how crowded the ballot is going to be because of ?Mayor Fulop?s misinformation about the election move?. We are not dumb we can all read/study the ballots when they are mailed to our homes and on election day push the buttons. I am pushing all of mine for Mayor Fulop and his Team, we cannot go backwards to the Healy/ Matsikoudis days of NOTHINGNESS. I guess you and the other Clonettes can.

Steve Fulop for Mayor ? 1A TEAM FULOP: MOVING JERSEY CITY FOWARD

Rolando Lavarro for At-Large Council ? 1B TEAM FULOP
Joyce Waterman for At-Large Council ? 2B TEAM FULOP
Daniel Rivera for At-Large Council ? 3B TEAM FULOP

Denise Ridley FORWARD A Council ? 7C TEAM FULOP
Mira Prinz-Arey FORWARD B Council ? 3C TEAM FULOP
John Hanussak FORWARD C Council ? 3C TEAM FULOP
Moriah "Mo" Kinberg FORWARD D Council ? 5C TEAM FULOP
Jermaine Robinson FORWARD F Council ? 5C TEAM FULOP

PS - I figured out what the name of your show is from it's initials "TP" because that is all it is good for when you have guesses like The Healy Clone on.

You're entitled to your opinion but don't misrepresent the facts. Read the ordinances, which are online. Even when they passed the 2nd ordinance to extend the date to September 30, 2017, it was still less than the minimum 18 months that the Asst Bus Administrator Corrado kept quoting.

Terrence tells me they're having a ribbon cutting tomorrow and the building isn't close to being done.... I think Steve is getting delusional....

As for all the name calling, doesn't add to your credibility.

TP is just short for Talking Politics, the Comcast TV show, which is in my signature....

As for moving the Mayor/ Council race from May to November and the resulting ballot, yes Mayor Fulop kept emailing everyone the City would save $400,000 / year! The Mayor & Council elections are every FOUR years and DO NOT COST $1.6 million but more like $500,000. He also admitted he wanted to do away with the run-off elections. So now we have a run-off in December and not June, when people would be more engaged. Yes, the ballot is huge & confusing....

Posted on: 2017/11/2 1:49
Check out Talking Politics --- See 31 shows on YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/user/JCtalkingpolitics/videos.
The shows broadcast on Comcast's Channel 51, Mon @ 9:30pm and Wed @ 8:30pm

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/15 0:21
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mia wrote:
No, the initial date was February 2017, never 2018. Why would we be paying rent if the date was not until 2018? Really... You are confused... A second ordinance was passed about 7 months later, which I cited in the show, to postpone the date to Septemeber 30, 2017.

Let me get this straight the ground breaking for the project was in July 2016 and you are saying it was to be ready in February 2017? Wow they must have planned to have Superman build it like when he put together his Fortress of Solitude in the Arctic Ice.

7/19/2016 JJ : ?a City Hall annex that will house about 300 workers when it opens in February 2018.?

??. will build the 45,000-square-foot annex and lease it to the city for 20 years at a cost of $36 million. After the lease expires, the city will own the building. The city has said if it built the annex on its own, the cost would be $43 million.?

When you interviewed The Healy Clone what did you mean by ?he?s going to be telling a little bit about us?? Oh yeah and nice dig on how crowded the ballot is going to be because of ?Mayor Fulop?s misinformation about the election move?. We are not dumb we can all read/study the ballots when they are mailed to our homes and on election day push the buttons. I am pushing all of mine for Mayor Fulop and his Team, we cannot go backwards to the Healy/ Matsikoudis days of NOTHINGNESS. I guess you and the other Clonettes can.

Steve Fulop for Mayor ? 1A TEAM FULOP: MOVING JERSEY CITY FOWARD

Rolando Lavarro for At-Large Council ? 1B TEAM FULOP
Joyce Waterman for At-Large Council ? 2B TEAM FULOP
Daniel Rivera for At-Large Council ? 3B TEAM FULOP

Denise Ridley FORWARD A Council ? 7C TEAM FULOP
Mira Prinz-Arey FORWARD B Council ? 3C TEAM FULOP
John Hanussak FORWARD C Council ? 3C TEAM FULOP
Moriah "Mo" Kinberg FORWARD D Council ? 5C TEAM FULOP
Jermaine Robinson FORWARD F Council ? 5C TEAM FULOP

PS - I figured out what the name of your show is from it's initials "TP" because that is all it is good for when you have guesses like The Healy Clone on.

Posted on: 2017/11/1 12:38

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

neverleft wrote:
Quote:
mia wrote
Rent began September 30th. See the video of the March 2015 Council meeting where we opposed the project as there was no due diligence done by the City. We knew it wouldn't get done on time and it wasn't. There was no penalty for the developer, Brandywine, to complete the building on time. Taxpayers pay no matter what... Another gift from the taxpayers.

Wait I am confused wasn?t the opening planned for February 2018 but that date was pushed up to late October early November 2017 because construction was moving at a fast pace?

Isn?t it a lease to own deal and after the 20 year lease is up the city will own the building?

Are you the woman who I see night after night on Local Cable Access ?interviewing? The Healy Clone making up all sorts of BS about Mayor Fulop? What?s up with the Clones hands?

No, the initial date was February 2017, never 2018. Why would we be paying rent if the date was not until 2018? Really... You are confused... A second ordinance was passed about 7 months later, which I cited in the show, to postpone the date to Septemeber 30, 2017. As the City had done NO due diligence, didn't know they had to transfer some of the HUD Section 108 loan, which took months to do so further backlogged the project. They didn't subdivide the parking lot until June 2015. It's a $36+ Million building with a 25-year lease. The City has already spent almost $4 million in interior work so looks like the $50/sq foot has also proven to be very inadequate. They're about 70% over budget and the building isn't done.

You should watch the show again....

As for that woman, I don't know what you're talking about but I don't think you do either.... I hope you're not planting all this nonsense while you're supposed to be working. I've heard complaints from City workers about all the campaigning that's expected of them...

Posted on: 2017/11/1 9:40
Check out Talking Politics --- See 31 shows on YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/user/JCtalkingpolitics/videos.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/15 0:21
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
mia wrote
Rent began September 30th. See the video of the March 2015 Council meeting where we opposed the project as there was no due diligence done by the City. We knew it wouldn't get done on time and it wasn't. There was no penalty for the developer, Brandywine, to complete the building on time. Taxpayers pay no matter what... Another gift from the taxpayers.

Wait I am confused wasn?t the opening planned for February 2018 but that date was pushed up to late October early November 2017 because construction was moving at a fast pace?

Isn?t it a lease to own deal and after the 20 year lease is up the city will own the building?

Are you the woman who I see night after night on Local Cable Access ?interviewing? The Healy Clone making up all sorts of BS about Mayor Fulop? What?s up with the Clones hands?

Posted on: 2017/11/1 2:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/29 17:59
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mia wrote:

As long as the envelopes get delivered by the first each month.. nothing to see here.

Posted on: 2017/10/31 22:36

MLK City Hall Annex unfinished but taxpayers paying $80,250/month rent
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2017/10/31 21:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Terrence T. McDonald | The Jersey Journal

JERSEY CITY ? Edwin Davis moved to Orient Avenue from Manhattan about a year ago and felt some initial trepidation about the area.

Located near the Hub shopping center on Martin Luther King Drive, the neighborhood struggles with poverty, unemployment and crime. Residents nicknamed the local McDonald's "Smackdonald's" because of drug addicts they see congregating there in the early-morning hours.

But Davis, 57, who was steered to the area by a real-estate broker, said he's "happy to be here." He's even more excited now that the city plans to open a new municipal building in the Hub plaza.

"This gives me hope that this will be a really interesting area and I'm here at the beginning of it," he said.

Davis was one of about three dozen residents and public officials who attended this afternoon's groundbreaking ceremony for the $20 million new municipal building, a City Hall annex that will house about 300 workers when it opens in February 2018.

More

Posted on: 2016/7/19 23:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
My letter published in the Jersey Journal 3/17/15

With the approval of the City Hall annex construction at the Hub, taxpayers will have a new building or perhaps the biggest tax increase in the not too distance future.

This increase will be based on the soil test that must be done before construction. Before any agreement was negotiated, the city should have contacted the DEP to find out if the lot and block are considered a brownsfield. I find it perplexing that this step was ignored.

The site is now a parking lot and the state allows contaminated soil to be used as parking lots. This was evident in Newark when a parking lot later became housing and 19 homes are now sitting on contaminated soil causing health problems for buyers.

The council's job is to protect the financial health of the citizens. Perhaps, we will be lucky and there will be little or no contamination, if not we will be bonding tens of millions to clean up the site.

It is actions like this that makes Jersey City unaffordable, as the bonding debt grows more property owners are struggling to maintain their homes.

Since common sense did not prevail, we can only hope and even pray that little or no contamination will be in the soil.

YVONNE BALCER
JERSEY CITY
http://www.nj.com/opinion/index.ssf/2 ... l_annex.html#incart_river

Posted on: 2015/3/17 20:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Raiz Wahid spoke on the ordinance and asked why there was no "pay to play" attachment. He raised a good question, why was this missing?

Posted on: 2015/3/12 19:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

deja vu all over again

Posted on: 2015/3/12 12:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I spoke on this ordinance and asked about the contamination. The city said they will test for contamination after the deal is signed. We, the taxpayers, are now on the hook for clean up.

Posted on: 2015/3/12 2:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Jersey City council approves $36M plan to build City Hall annex

By Terrence T. McDonald | The Jersey Journal The Jersey Journal
March 11, 2015 at 10:18 PM

JERSEY CITY - The City Council tonight approved a $35 million plan to build a City Hall annex on Martin Luther King Drive, one the Fulop administration touts as the largest investment in the city's black community in decades.

The 7-2 vote came after a roughly two-hour public hearing that saw supporters express hope that the annex will rejuvenate the economy of the commercial strip near the Hub shopping center, and opponents slam the deal as a giveaway to the developer, Brandywine.

Council President Rolando Lavarro, who voted in favor, said the annex will be a "catalyst" for more redevelopment in an area that has been "distressed for decades."

"Hell yeah," Lavarro said when the time came to vote.

Lavarro was joined in support by Mayor Steve Fulop's other allies on the council: Joyce Watterman, Daniel Rivera, Frank Gajewski, Khemraj "Chico" Ramchal, Candice Osborne and Diane Coleman. The two regular Fulop critics, Rich Boggiano and Michael Yun, voted against.

Read more:  http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... ity_hal.html#incart_river

Posted on: 2015/3/12 2:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I went to the Caucus meeting two weeks ago when this came up. Councilman Yun questioned the contamination of soil. Greg Corrado said, the property in question is now a parking lot, so there is no need to worry. There are homeowners in Newark who brought new homes that was a parking lot and they are sick from the contaminated soil.
http://www.nj.com/essex/index.ssf/201 ... apors_seeping_inside.html

Posted on: 2015/3/8 21:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Something is missing from the articles, or the explanations of this. On the face of it - the city builds it itself for $10M, saving many millions over the long term vs. leasing, seems like a no brainer. Are there other advantages in leasing? Writing off certain costs? Not needing to require union wages in construction/cleaning contracts?

Posted on: 2015/3/8 20:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Interesting that the Police Department has opted out of going to the Annex at MLK Drive saying they were reluctant to establishing a new central headquarters in a building with mixed uses, calling it a security nightmare. So where have they been for the past couple of years since 8 Erie Street closed? They are at 1 Journal Square though you'd never know it from passing by. By the way what about the "security nightmare" for the rest of the city agencies in the building. They're gonna be just fine right?

Posted on: 2015/3/8 12:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Smaller building, but the deal’s the same City to reduce size of City Hall Annex on MLK Drive but still lease it for 25 years

by  Al Sullivan Reporter staff writer                                         
Mar 08, 2015
Residents who attend a hearing about the controversial City Hall Annex proposed for Martin Luther King Drive during the March 11 City Council meeting will discover the project has been reduced in size, but the lease purchase arrangement between the developer and city remains the same.

The annex will be built by Brandywine Jersey City LLC through a public-private partnership with the city and the Jersey City Redevelopment Agency (JCRA).

However, the size of the structure wasn’t the cause of the controversy; the cause is the lease purchase under which the city would acquire the facility.

The annex, in the neighborhood popularly known as The Hub, would be rented to the city by Brandywine with an option to buy it for a nominal price at the end of the 25 years.

Originally proposed to cost $14 million to build, the project has been scaled back from 60,000 square feet to 45,000, said Eric Moore of Brandywine. This reduces the city’s overall cost by about $10 million, from about $45 million to about $36 million, after the city’s lease purchase agreement expires.

Read more:  Hudson Reporter - Smaller building but the deal s the same br font size 2 i City to reduce size of City Hall Annex on MLK Drive but still lease it for 25 years font i br

Posted on: 2015/3/8 7:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
City council postpones vote on controversial City Hall Annex project

By Michaelangelo Conte | The Jersey Journal
December 15, 2014 at 9:51 PM

As expected, the Jersey City City Council yanked a controversial ordinance from Wednesday?s council meeting agenda aimed at clearing the way for a 25-year lease/purchase agreement to building a $24 million City Hall Annex at a total cost to the city of about $45 million.

State officials were set to review the deal for possible approval today, but that has been tabled until at least next month. The council cannot take a final vote on the ordinance it until the state gives the plan it?s OK.

The city ?has a need for office space for the Department of Health and Human Services, the Department of Public Safety, and the Department of Housing, Economic Development & Commerce,? reads the ordinance which was to have a public hearing and vote on final passage at the next council meeting. It was pulled from the agenda at tonight?s caucus meeting without comment.

Read more:
http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... y_hall_annex_project.html

Posted on: 2014/12/16 3:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I remember when City Hall condemned the property across the street on Montgomery St. (a small church was there ). The city, then plan on building an annex there. It became a parking lot.

Posted on: 2014/12/12 16:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
a friend of my commented this evening that this lease is like a "blank check" to the developer", a 5 year arm with no limits.

Posted on: 2014/12/12 3:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
This will be on the council agenda December 17, 2014.

Posted on: 2014/11/11 1:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
i agree that playing the floating rate game is VERY dangerous!

+1 There are a lot of provisions in that lease which look like the standard landlord-tenant commercial lease, where the landlord pushes various risks onto the tenant. In this case, the city should use its leverage to get a more favorable deal.

Posted on: 2014/10/6 19:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
i agree that playing the floating rate game is VERY dangerous!

Posted on: 2014/10/6 18:23

(1) 2 3 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017