Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
105 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 105

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Club Metro v. Base Gym
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/4 19:30
Group:
Registered Users
I am a Club Metro member, and I am thinking of quitting..because 1. The equipment is beginning to show extreme wear and tear and they do not replace/repair the equipment. 2. You walk in at 8 AM Saturday and hear that awful music!! Why are they playing music when 90 percent of the members bring their own music.

Anyone know any good gyms under 30 dollars a month, just the basics, but where the equipment is maintained to at least an almost new standard.

Posted on: 2013/11/26 21:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
I used to go to Club Metro. Canceled my membership about a year ago, so if improvements have been made in the meantime I wouldn't know.

I wanted a basics gym - not interested in paying extra for the amenities at then Club H. I just need to arrive, workout, and leave. Occasionally showered if I was going out immediately thereafter but rarely.

So I was pleased to be paying less for "no amenities". What I wasn't pleased with was paying less for constantly broken cardio machines. If there were 12 treadmills, 8 could be broken at any time. Staff justified this by "they're not BROKEN - the monitor just isn't working". Come on give me a break. Even the start/speed/etc. settings would be broken. On weight machines, sometimes the padding (like where your elbows go) was cracked which made it very uncomfortable to be jabbed with that plastic.

Last but not least, it was just the icing on the cake that they seemed more interested in having a smoothie bar than doing any actual training on the floor.

That's must my two cents.

Posted on: 2013/11/24 23:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/18 14:36
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks JCwalking, I think I'm going to give the boxing gym a try. From what I recall from my last conversation with those guys, they don't have a yearly membership requirement. If that's still the case, I may try a one month membership.

Posted on: 2013/11/24 23:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/14 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
I was a member of the boxing gym a few years ago; also a member of Synergy but not Metro or Club H, so I can't really draw too many comparisons, but the boxing gym is definitely more of a weightlifting gym. But if that's your thing, then you'd probably love the place. There are alot of regulars who are both inspirational from an athletic standpoint and some of the most welcoming people you'll ever meet personality-wise. I never encountered the sense of arrogance that I've seen in some other gyms when I was a member there; a really good place all around between the monthly membership fee, parking, and equipment selection/layout.

Posted on: 2013/11/24 16:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks JC,

After posting this, I realized I should probably get a trial membership at each Metro and the Boxing Gym before making a decision. My unfortunately reality is after years of working out intensely, I suffer from a lot of shoulder, elbow pain and back pain. I had surgery on one shoulder, then the other one starting aching. So I don't train like I used to. Also, I almost never sat in the steam or sauna rooms. So those amenities aren't draws for me. Even when Club H was at its best, I rarely used their shaving cream or razors. Though I did like how at first the men's locker room was even cleaner than my own home. It had a very spa feel. I also liked the open space and all the natural sunlight. Even when a few machines were out of order I did not get too upset; because, lets face it they get a lot of use and are therefore prone to being damaged. That said it did get dirty and the towel issue became unacceptable in light of what I was paying.

Still I need to get some light cardio and very light strength training in. I think a less expensive gym maybe what meets my needs.

Posted on: 2013/11/24 15:40

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/23 12:14
Group:
Registered Users
I can't attest to the boxing gym, nor to Club Metro, since I've never been a member of either. Therefore I can't intentionally malign either. However, I am a member of Base, and was a member of Club H, as well. I can fully attest to the improvements made to the Base facility since its transition. It's almost always spotless (I say almost, because there have been a few times when the steam room was kind of funky, but it was during peak times, so I give them a pass). They are upgrading the cardio equipment between now and the end of the year, they brought back the shake bar, there are always ample towels, and I find the staff friendly and helpful. I've yet to be there when it was too crowded to get in a good workout.

Hope that helps.

Posted on: 2013/11/24 15:00

Club Metro v. Base Gym
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I have historically been fitness obsessed. But I did let my Club H membership expire before the Base Gym acquisition. Unfortunately, I haven't worked out much since. However, I'm wondering whether it's worth paying the premium to be a member of Base Gym or whether my needs may adequately be met at Club Metro. Of course there's also the boxing gym on Brunswick. I don't really need a lot of amenities, but I do like a clean gym and a place I could shower if I didn't want to come back home to shower before heading out.

Posted on: 2013/11/24 14:49

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017