Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
56 user(s) are online (47 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 56

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: basement storage rules - paulus hook rent controlled - fire regulations???
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
Storage in hallways, foyers, etc. is definitely a violation of fire code. (We do it in our building with the realization that sooner or later we will have to stop.)

In the basement, I would suspect it's more a matter of the landlord wanting to (a) clean things up, (b) be consistent throughout the building about all possessions being in your unit, and/or (c) fwiw, assuming there is no actual code violation, the landlord (and I'm assuming you rent) is perfectly entitled to charge a fee.

If you are actually looking to find a way to handle this in a way to benefit everyone, you may suggest to the landlord that everyone clear out the space as requested and then cages be built, and tenants who are interested pay a nominal monthly fee to use them. If storage is that important to you, I would think that this may be agreeable. (Price depends on size of cage, of course.)

I get where you're coming from - units are small and old buildings have limited (if any) closet space. I'm in the same boat 100%. But, I also get where the landlord is coming from - if a fire starts because people are keeping stuff down there (even as benign as newspapers) he's liable. If someone stumbles and falls, he's liable. And, just from an economic position, you're getting more sf then he's charging you for.

If code isn't really the issue, I hope you can all work something out!

Posted on: 2013/4/10 23:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users
I agree with Fat-ass-bike: perhaps it's a matter of order, vs fire regulations.

We live in a brownstone downtown, and we have storage in the basement per unit - but we have "cages" (studs + chicken wire) so everything is contained within the alotted area for each unit. We do not allow for anything else in the common areas, and enforce that strictly.

Lastly, also check your bylaws to see what it states. If everyone likes the storage space in basement, perhaps "vote" that into the bylaws as an addendum to alocate space for each unit, and spend some money to build cages (or equivalent). It may be money upfront, but that shouldn't be too expensive, and could be a win-win for everyone.

Posted on: 2013/4/10 23:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Ask the property manager for a copy of the 'fire safety' regulations he is referring to. I would have thought combustible / flammable items would be a big no no and any items that might block access to doors or passages would also be of concern. Basements are designed for storage and the place for water- heaters, appliances etc.

The parity of strollers in the foyer would be a good arguement if the property manager is stubborn - Then again the property manager is just an employee, so as a collective you could have him removed.

Could it be that another tenant is upset about the clutter - Could the basement be divided up via painted lines for each apartment that also highlight a walkway / passage that must be kept clear ?

Posted on: 2013/4/10 23:02
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/5/31 3:07
Group:
Registered Users
Never heard of this, but honestly don't know all the fire code regulations. We have 16 unit condo in PH (self-managed) and store items (non-combustibles) in the basement. Our basement has a sprinkler system. There are definitely regs about storing items in the halls/blocking egress. FWIW, the JCFD has inspected our bldg every year over the past three years and we've never been cited for basement storage. Seems like the management company could be pulling your chain for whatever reason.

Posted on: 2013/4/10 22:51

basement storage rules - paulus hook rent controlled - fire regulations???
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/1/10 1:54
Group:
Registered Users
Hey all...

The situation is this. The property manager left a note in the common entry about all residents moving anything stored in the basement within 15 days. After that it will be considered abandoned and tossed. (of course they also mentioned all common areas as well, so probably strollers in the foyer will have to find a new home too)

They say that no one can store anything down there from this point forward due to fire (state / city) regulations.

My questions are many.
Is there actually a law specifically for this?
I can understand not having anything combustible near the water heaters and water heat furnaces (both are only on one side of the basement), but its a huge basement that encompasses the entire bottom of the building (8 unit walkup non-historic), has windows at each end and egress from front, back, of building and stairs from 1st floor landing.

I am mainly bummed about having no place to store the bikes (and kid trailers) and seasonal gear (snow shovels etc)

It sucks, and i'm not wanting to be adverserial, just wanting to see if there is a potential solution.

anyone have any thoughts on this or been in the same boat?

Posted on: 2013/4/10 22:25

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017