Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
126 user(s) are online (111 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 126

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Handyman: mounting a flatscreen TV on a wall

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/9/22 23:36
Group:
Registered Users
Please send me a PM and I can help out with some handyman projects.

thanks!

Posted on: 2013/7/19 21:52

Re: TV Mounting
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 18:00
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
So -- um -- as a girlie-girl with absolutely no handy skills -- seriously, none -- piggybacking on this thread with a "second" of the question -- does anyone know of a reliable handyman? I really need to periodically hire somebody to come in and handle all sorts of stupid stuff I prefer not to deal with myself. Whether I should be able to or not ;)

Posted on: 2013/7/19 18:54

TV Mounting

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/1/10 1:12
Group:
Registered Users
Does anyone have a recommendation on mounting a TV to a wall along with hiding all the wires? I know some may suggest to DIY, but not interested in that. Appreciate and recommendations.

Posted on: 2013/7/19 18:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HPYC wrote:
Running wires (vertically) from one place in a wall to another (e.g. from TV to near the floor) isn't technically hard. It doesn't require expensive tools, just a small saw to cut the holes and a wire snake (which is basically just a stiff steel tape on a reel). It doesn't require a lot of skill, just patience.

Running wires horizontally or from one floor to another is more difficult - another ball of wax entirely - since you have to cut through studs and/or sills and headers.

I would give it a try as the previous poster suggests.

it's not technically up to code, though. and it could void your insurance in case of a fire, even an unrelated one.

Posted on: 2013/1/15 18:51

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/7/31 18:01
From In your dreams
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks HPYC. Happy that you think my idea was good. Just because I'm female, that doesn't mean I do not know what I'm doing. In my home, since its only me and my son, someone has to do it. I'm very handy. Love my tools. LOL. I do not like depending on people to do things I know how to do. If I don't know how, then it's a different story. But, I am never afraid to try first.

Posted on: 2013/1/15 17:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/3/15 20:01
From Downtown - H.P. area
Group:
Registered Users
Running wires (vertically) from one place in a wall to another (e.g. from TV to near the floor) isn't technically hard. It doesn't require expensive tools, just a small saw to cut the holes and a wire snake (which is basically just a stiff steel tape on a reel). It doesn't require a lot of skill, just patience.

Running wires horizontally or from one floor to another is more difficult - another ball of wax entirely - since you have to cut through studs and/or sills and headers.

I would give it a try as the previous poster suggests.

Posted on: 2013/1/15 16:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/8 21:51
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for the comments. I am pretty confident that I can mount the TV on the wall myself, but I'm a lot less confident about managing the cables. I wish I knew how to deal with drywall. Then I can hide the cables neatly behind the wall.
I mean, wouldn't that be an ultimate home improvement skill? But I freely admit that I'm intimidated by it mostly because I've never done it (and what if I screw up?!).

I do use an Ikea pannel in my living room, but I was thinking of doing something different for the TV in the bedroom.

Posted on: 2013/1/15 15:32

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
From In your dreams
Group:
Registered Users
It's really not that hard. Cut an outlet size hole where the bracket is going. Cut another one a few feet below, closer to the floor. Get your wires and tape around each end with electrical tape. Using a metal snake rod, snake the wires thru the top hole down to the bottom hole. Be careful because they might get stuck. it might take a few times before they find their way down. As the wires are being snaked down, you will know where they are in the wall. you will hear them scraping inside. grab a pair of needlenose pliers and pull out. Buy a wall plate and drill a hole large enough so the wires fit tightly through it. Connect the wires and all cables to the back of your flat screen. If the TV is mounted over an entertainment stand, set up all your equipment then plug those wires in. If its above a fireplace and between baseboards (like mine) you cut the hole for the bottom wires next to the baseboard. Snake the wires down and run under the baseboard and tiestrap the wires. Grab a corner entertainment stand, set up all equipment and plug in. Boom- no wires.

Just make sure all wires and cables are long enough. If not, go buy new ones.

Also, I prefer the swivel mounts. Once the TV is up, all you do is move the bracket out and connect everything. So much easier.

Posted on: 2013/1/15 14:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/3/15 20:01
From Downtown - H.P. area
Group:
Registered Users
The brackets are usually made so that you can mount them through drywall into two studs (spaced 16" on center) with lag screws, if you don't have exposed brick. This could actually be better since holes in drywall are easier to completely repair than in brick, once you take the TV down eventually.

The wires can be hidden with a plastic cable channel that you mount on the wall under the TV, and paint to match the wall.

An alternative, with fewer holes in the wall. IKEA makes TV stands with a rear panel on which the flat TV is mounted. It puts the TV in the same position as if it were in the wall, but the TV is mounted on the stand and not on the wall. http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S89862712/

Posted on: 2013/1/15 13:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Don't do it! Personally I hate those wall-mounts. It's not easily undoable and you still have to put the cable box and DVD player somewhere so you probably need a TV stand or similar type of furniture. If you own your place you'll end up probably selling the TV with it. If you rent then you gotta undo everything when you move or leave your expensive TV behind.

What are you talking about? It's barely harder than hanging a framed picture! Mine was 2 lag bolts into the exposed brick wall for the frame, Bolt the bracket to the back of the TV, hang it. Done. Get the hardware from Monoprice.com for a fraction of WorstBuy's price.

True but not everyone has exposed brick. A lot of people go into the drywall or whatever. I think it looks terrible because all the wires are running somewhere anyway.

Posted on: 2013/1/15 2:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Don't do it! Personally I hate those wall-mounts. It's not easily undoable and you still have to put the cable box and DVD player somewhere so you probably need a TV stand or similar type of furniture. If you own your place you'll end up probably selling the TV with it. If you rent then you gotta undo everything when you move or leave your expensive TV behind.

What are you talking about? It's barely harder than hanging a framed picture! Mine was 2 lag bolts into the exposed brick wall for the frame, Bolt the bracket to the back of the TV, hang it. Done. Get the hardware from Monoprice.com for a fraction of WorstBuy's price.

Posted on: 2013/1/15 1:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
I agree -- you can DIY this -- get a stud finder (under $10) and a wall mount -- and for safety get a friend to help you!

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_nos ... k%3Awall+mount+tv+habitat

Posted on: 2013/1/15 0:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2013/1/15 0:34

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
From In your dreams
Group:
Registered Users
You really don't have to be handy to do this. Get the wall bracket (I prefer the swivel one), locate the beam in the wall, position the bracket where you want it, grab the Dewalt and screw it in. Move the bracket out, mount the TV (an extra pair of hands would help), screw the top in first but not too tight then the bottom. Adjust the TV to make sure it's even and then tighten all screws. Don't use a screwdriver. Drill works best. If I can do it myself, you can too :)

Posted on: 2013/1/14 21:58

Handyman: mounting a flatscreen TV on a wall
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/8 21:51
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Hi,

I'm not handy, obviously. Has anyone used a handyman for such task and had a good result? Any recommendation?

Thanks,

Atsushi

Posted on: 2013/1/14 21:49

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017