Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
123 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 123

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Expanders and braces - for an 8-year old?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/3/15 20:01
From Downtown - H.P. area
Group:
Registered Users
I don't recall offhand what the cost was, but in the meantime, check out some info on Dr Lombardi here: http://www.201braces.com/DrLombardi.html

He invented a positioning device called the LBB. Looks like a sports mouth-guard and is used with the expander during phase I. Very nice guy too.

Quote:

SRhia wrote:
Can anyone comment how much Dr Lombardi charges for Phase I? Pls feel free to PM me with the info. Just want to get an idea - the doctor I went to see was in Manhattan (perhaps that's why for the sky high prices).

Thanks for the feedback so far.

Posted on: 2013/1/8 21:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
I do not recall paying Lombardi for a phase I or II. He's not a bargain, but his work is perfect. His office also has a parking lot!!!!!!!!!

Posted on: 2013/1/8 19:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users
Can anyone comment how much Dr Lombardi charges for Phase I? Pls feel free to PM me with the info. Just want to get an idea - the doctor I went to see was in Manhattan (perhaps that's why for the sky high prices).

Thanks for the feedback so far.

Posted on: 2013/1/8 19:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
I guess every case is different, but 8 sounds young to me. I think I got them at 10, and my son at 12. And another vote for Lombardi. Bonus is he's down the street from LCCS and my son ducks out of school (with a note) for his brief tightening appointments.

Posted on: 2013/1/8 19:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/23 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
We use Bogdan Orthodontics in Bayonne for our 8 year old. http://www.bracesfornj.com/

His teeth are really bad though so he needs the braces now or things will get much worse. They widen the jaw.

Phase 1 is costing us $2,880. $4,500 seems very high.

I'm glad he is getting this done now so that when he hits puberty he can hopefully be at the tail end of this. I'm assuming that high school already causes enough stress to which braces don't need to be added. Straightening out the baby teeth helps the adult teeth grow in straight with plenty of room. Fungers crossed.

Posted on: 2013/1/8 17:01
soshin: Mention guns and bd pops up through a hole in the ground like a heavily armed meercat

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
More and more orthodontists are starting earlier. Here's a link explaining why -- http://www.dcdental.org/ortho.asp

And I second the rec of Dr. Drew Lomdardi.

Posted on: 2013/1/8 16:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/3/15 20:01
From Downtown - H.P. area
Group:
Registered Users
Going through this now with our 11 year old daughter. She had expansion bands put on when she was about 9, with headgear to wear at night. What that does is create room for remaining adult teeth to drop in without crowding, which can lead to the need to pull teeth later on. She will need braces as well, but not for a few months, when she will be almost 12.

The way it was explained to us, the expansion process is "elective" in the sense that braces can still be put on later even without it. However, the expansion process helps matters by making room for adult teeth to come in straight, and by helping to correct things like overbite. In the end, it makes the braces themselves more effective and means she will be wearing them for less time. She'll probably have the braces off within 2 years. Also, since the expansion has been working effectively, she will not need to have any adult teeth pulled.

Not sure who your orthodontist is, but we go to Dr. Drew Lombardi on JKF Blvd near Mcginley Square. He is excellent. If you don't use him and want a second opinion I would recommend seeing him.

Posted on: 2013/1/8 15:05

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/7/31 18:01
From In your dreams
Group:
Registered Users
My son is 12 and had braces put on in August. He had an overbite. They put the spacers over the back teeth-top and bottom. A week later they put on the braces. Word of advice- do not get the ceramic braces. They are extra in cost and break very easily. My son has the metal ones and hasn't had any problems with breaking.

I think 8 is a little too young considering all of his baby teeth (like you stated). If they put the braces on, they will only be applied to his adult teeth. When the baby teeth fall out and the adult teeth grow in, then the brackets will be glued on to those.
Then you have to worry about the baby teeth being pulled. They can tell you that if they don't fall out by a certain time, they will have to pull.

My son had 4 baby teeth left when his were put on. He sat there and constantly pushed them around so they wouldn't have to be pulled. Now they are grown in. He goes on Thursday to have the brackets put on those and the wires tightened.

As for the $$$. It all depends on the insurance you have. My son was fully covered. I had to pay nothing out of pocket.

Posted on: 2013/1/8 14:17

Expanders and braces - for an 8-year old?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users
Does anyone has experience going through orthodontal process with an 8 year old? We just came back from a consultation with an orthodontist, and he recommends my 8 year old get expanders, then braces for his front teeth. It will last roughly 1 year, and will cost $4500. Then in his teens, he may / may not go through a second phase to correct other teeth (if needed) which will cost $6000+. WHAT???

Growing up, I had always associated braces with teeangers, and was shocked to hear these procedures were recommended. Yes, my son's 2 adult front teeth are crooked a bit, and he grinds his teeth at night, but he's only 8, and he still has a mouth full of baby teeth.

I guess at the end of the day, I'm a bit weary about these "elective" procesdures, and these "experts" - who are in the business to make money, and I'm not sure if they can be entirely trusted.

I'm going to google and do some research myself, but I'm very interested to hear if anyone who has gone through this, or any advise they can provide.

Thank you in advance!

Posted on: 2013/1/8 14:01

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017