Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
160 user(s) are online (145 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 160

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: New police unit arrests three men allegedly involved in Hoboken/Jersey City bike theft ring
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Are we to believe that each of those stolen bikes was worth, on average, almost $800?? The 40K figure sounds high for bikes being stolen from the street. Unless they are are breaking into actual homes and apartments and stealing really nice bikes, I don't see how that figure is remotely close to accurate. I am sure people have enough sense not to leave expensive bikes chained outside. Or, maybe not?

Posted on: 2012/12/13 19:48

Re: New police unit arrests three men allegedly involved in Hoboken/Jersey City bike theft ring
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/1/7 4:11
Group:
Registered Users
Police have known about this van for years. In fact I mentioned it as common knowledge on JCList over a year ago. Glad they finally "moved" on the guys. Stuff that gets stolen around town usually gets boosted because the thief already has a place to sell it.

Posted on: 2012/12/13 15:28
I'm not perfect.....but I'm not all bad either.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
I would like to know how and where these bikes were locked up and to what. I am glad for the response of the Hoboken officers it shows that cyclists' property has important value. It is necessary to make sure you are not leaving your bikes in a vulnerable position so we do not waste the resources of out law enforcement.

Posted on: 2012/12/13 13:06
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
And that is why you should always report crime. Sometimes you get lucky and you get your sh*t back.

Posted on: 2012/12/13 5:26

New police unit arrests three men allegedly involved in Hoboken/Jersey City bike theft ring
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users
New police unit arrests three men allegedly involved in Hoboken/Jersey City bike theft ring; recovers dozens of bikes

By Charles Hack/The Jersey Journal
on December 12, 2012

HOBOKEN -- City police officers have arrested three men they say were involved in a bicycle theft ring in Jersey City and Hoboken.

Authorities also recovered roughly 50 stolen bicycles today that were packed into two vans.

Salah Mostefaoui, 46, was charged with fencing and receiving stolen property.

David Sarles, 49, of New York City was charged with conspiracy to fencing and receiving stolen property, police said.

A third unidentified man was charged with burglary and theft, officials said.

Members of a newly formed Street Crime Unit followed a known bike thief from the Hudson-Bergen Light Rail station at the Hoboken Terminal to Jefferson and Ninth streets where they saw him break into a garage and steal a mountain bike around noon today, said unit leader Detective Sgt. Edwin Pantoja.

After arresting the man -- whose identity has not been released-- he agreed to assist the police, and took Detectives William Vera and Michael DePalma, along with members of the Jersey City Police Department, to a house on Union Street near West Side Avenue in Jersey City.

Soon after arriving Mostefaoui and Sarles drove up in a white van filled to the roof with bicycles, officials said.

With the police watching, Mostefaoui purchased the bicycle stolen in Hoboken for $150 from the man the police first followed, officials said.

At that point cops swooped in and arrested Sarles and Mostefaoui, reports said.

Police soon discovered a red Dodge van that was also packed with stolen bicycles, Pantoja said.

Police estimate there were 52 bikes, worth $40,000, in the vans, reports said. The bikes were likely to be sold in New York City, Pantoja said.

?This is a lucrative operation,? Pantoja said. ?They steal quality bicycles.?

Police Chief Anthony Falco said he started the Street Crimes Unit Monday, and Pantoja decided to target bicycle theft because the city has faced high level thefts for several months, he said.

?I have every confidence in the team I put together,? Falco said. ?In just a few days they have produced. Kudos to them and the Hoboken Police Department.?

Pantoja said that several of the bikes have been identified as reported stolen from Hoboken..

?We have bike lanes all over Hoboken and we are encouraging people to go green,? Pantoja said. ?People spend big money on a bicycle only to have someone walk in and take it. It is a great feeling to be able to return their property.?

Anyone who has had a bicycle stolen recently should call the Hoboken Police Department at (201) 420 2100

http://www.nj.com/hobokennow/index.ss ... pects_i.html#incart_river

Posted on: 2012/12/13 5:06

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017