Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
121 user(s) are online (106 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 121

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: McGinley Square
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
$220M Saint Peter's University residential tower approved for McGinley Square

Jersey City's planning board last night unanimously approved the site plan of a 21-story residential tower proposed by Saint Peter's University and Maryland-based developer Sora Development for McGinley Square.

The approval of the $220 million tower, which is slated to house a movie theater, a rooftop swimming pool, upscale restaurants, 717 underground parking spaces, apartment units and a dorm area, marked yet another step forward in the city's recent wave of development.

"Lots of development has happened in the waterfront, has happened in Journal Square, but McGinley Square has long been a neglected stepchild of the city, and now this will change that forever," Saint Peter's University's president, Eugene J. Cornacchia, told The Jersey Journal shortly after project was approved.

More

Posted on: 2014/8/13 12:54

Re: McGinley Square Revitalization - Is it dead?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/7 2:57
Group:
Registered Users
for what's it worth, a huge St. Peter's University student union building is finishing construction up right off the sq. I guess that this is the largest new construction in the area in years.

Posted on: 2012/10/22 2:11

Re: McGinley Square Revitalization - Is it dead?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/14 23:51
From The West Side!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sam112 wrote:
Last I heard about the McGinley Sq Revitalization Project was that St. Peter's was pulling out and no eminent domain. Were those the nails in the coffin? Hope not. But, haven't heard of any progress.

Not dead, but not really among the living. Look for it while you're trick or treating.

Eminent domain is off the table, thanks to focused opposition by neighborhood residents. No, that did not kill the project. Both St. Peter's and the designated developer accepted that. It never seemed truly necessary for the project, and would be a noxious use of eminent domain, condemning unblighted private homes simply to increase the scale of development.

The developer, Gary Flocco, continued to acquire parcels and recently told me he is actively working on moving the project forward. Although he has also recently listed his major parcel for sale.

St. Peter's University canceled its agreement with Mr. Flocco, citing financing issues, and has said it plans to move forward with its portion of the plan, 500 units of student housing. The University has not yet announced an agreement with a new developer.

See Terrence McDonalds's Jersey Journal article, McGinley Square project at St. Peter's College put "on hold", Wednesday, June 06, 2012.

Unless something else comes along, the next change on the horizon is the Montgomery Gardens Choice Neighborhood plan, with a major decision about funding due in December. Sponsored by the Beacon developers in cooperation with the Jersey City Housing authority, it is a finalist for a large HUD grant. If that is awarded, development possibilities for the area become very "alive" again.

Posted on: 2012/10/22 1:51

McGinley Square Revitalization - Is it dead?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/2 2:11
Group:
Registered Users
Last I heard about the McGinley Sq Revitalization Project was that St. Peter's was pulling out and no eminent domain. Were those the nails in the coffin? Hope not. But, haven't heard of any progress.

Posted on: 2012/10/21 18:50

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/2/18 14:37
From JSQ
Group:
Registered Users
I believe St Peters is still involved, but without a developer its certainly at a stand still for the foreseeable future.
Remember the last mayoral election? Heavy machinery arrived at the journal sq lot and pushed dirt around for a few weeks, as soon as the election was over they were long gone and haven't been back since (big surprise). They must think we're idiots, and apparently they're right since we keep electing the same people to "represent" us.

Posted on: 2012/6/29 23:01

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/7 2:57
Group:
Registered Users
a pretty big st. peter's student union building is maybe 75% complete, right off McGinley Sq. probably the largest St. P. college building except for the gym.

Posted on: 2012/6/25 23:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
FDS_JC wrote: Quote:
Are you referring to the McG Sq redevelopment plan that St Peters is involved with, the one around Bergen and Montgomery? I'm not holding my breath for that to happen. The JSQ development has been a pathetic mess for years now, I don't expect this to go any differently. The city gov doesn't bother taking the time to really affect any kind of development outside downtown.

Correction you mean? St Peters WAS involved with. Funny after all of the grand standing and money they spent on getting the public and City Council to buy into the plan.

McGinley Square dorm project for St. Peter's College in Jersey City is put 'on hold'

Published: Wednesday, June 06, 2012, 6:30 AM
Updated: Wednesday, June 06, 2012, 6:33 AM
By The Jersey Journal

The much-anticipated $600 million redevelopment of Jersey City?s McGinley Square area has been dealt a blow, with St. Peter?s College announcing yesterday that it has severed ties with the developer who was set to construct a student housing and retail complex for the college, The Jersey Journal reports.

The proposed complex would have accommodated 500 beds for students and contained 80,000 square feet of retail on what is currently a college parking lot on Montgomery Street. It was one of the centerpieces of the redevelopment plan, which includes 8.8 acres of residential units, retail space and entertainment venues.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... quare_dorm_project_f.html

Hey jerseyguy56 don?t get any ideas about your McGinley Square Redevolpment cutting the line. It?s Journal Square first, then Bay Front, then McGinley Square get it! ( I wonder if All Star Sports will be coming back to McGinley?remember that was THE place to buy Converse and Puma?s back in the day. )

Ahh the sweet smell of bullsh*t a year before the JC Mayoral election. ..promises, promises.

Posted on: 2012/6/25 19:24

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/2/18 14:37
From JSQ
Group:
Registered Users
Are you referring to the McG Sq redevelopment plan that St Peters is involved with, the one around Bergen and Montgomery? I'm not holding my breath for that to happen. The JSQ development has been a pathetic mess for years now, I don't expect this to go any differently. The city gov doesn't bother taking the time to really affect any kind of development outside downtown.

Posted on: 2012/6/25 18:35

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/3/4 1:27
From 672 Bergen Ave., Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
We are also working toward being a part of the rebirth of McGinley Square.

Have you heard of Ed's Exchange? We are a weekly merchant market located at 672 Bergen Ave. between Reed & Fairview.

Posted on: 2012/6/23 23:46

McGinley Square

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/6/25 17:58
Group:
Registered Users
Grew up on Orchard St and looking forward to rebirth of McGinley Sq. The 'festival square' will feature small neighborhood type restaurants like the "Hill Top" in the 70's & 80's

Posted on: 2012/6/23 1:02

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017