Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
104 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 104

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: JSQ: Woman walking to pick up grandchild after school is struck and killed on St. Paul's Avenue
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/17 19:13
Group:
Registered Users
The accident happened around 2:10. Unfortunately I was about half a block away and saw it happen.

Yes that is a dangerous intersection, but the truck did not seem to be speeding and it hit her without that much force.
She was dead on impact however.

It was too early for the crossing guard to be on duty. And fortunately not too many parents/kids yet (2 or 3).
That crossing guard takes her job very seriously and I'm sure she was devastated.

Posted on: 2011/11/22 21:08

Re: JSQ: Woman walking to pick up grandchild after school is struck and killed on St. Paul's Avenue
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/21 20:55
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
I still think if they reprogram the light for the left turn at tonelle the congestion on this road will go down.

Posted on: 2011/11/21 14:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Found the JCList post about the red fake brick crosswalks...there are not $50K a pop there are $120K an interection...

http://jclist.com/modules/newbb/viewt ... id=278691#forumpost278691

Posted on: 2011/11/20 18:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah would be nice if WE had some of those fake red brick crosswalks that they have DT ...I think someone posted that they are around $50K a pop.

Posted on: 2011/11/20 2:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Why should the city care about any other parts of the city.. They are too busy with newark ave..

Quote:

neverleft wrote:

Check out the condition of the painted crosswalk that is used by school children.. you can hardly see it. Great job JC!

Posted on: 2011/11/20 2:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
The JJ added some more to the piece in today?s print JJ.

It has the poor woman?s name, tow truck company, and it says she may have been hit by the truck he was towing(?), also a lot of complaints from neighbors about that intersection.

http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index ... y_grandmother_struck.html

Bad news spot that is the corner/ school where the poor guy who was here just a week from India was killed by two fool brother?s drag racing on the Blvd. They hit him so hard he flew into the side of the school and came down on the spiked metal fence.

Check out the condition of the painted crosswalk that is used by school children.. you can hardly see it. Great job JC!

Posted on: 2011/11/20 1:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

asdfdf23 wrote:
Jersey City Drivers, at least in the Heights and JS are very rude, inconsiderate and dangerous.
The number of times I am passed on the left while waiting at a crosswalk is astounding. On top of that I have people swinging around on my right when I want to make a left turn just to beat me by a car length. It is so blatant and pervasive.

I do agree with you and it's funny you mentioned this but I find the Downtown drivers to be timid, indecisive, blind, and slow thinking. It happens every time I'm down there I just don't get it. Even the pedestrians are not with it. Hey I guess we're not in Kansas anymore.

Posted on: 2011/11/20 0:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
No doubt that Tow-truck drivers are the worst. I constantly see the Truchan Bros. trucks flying around the streets in downtown JC.

Most of these hired drivers are uneducated and have no responsibilities to be concerned about. They drive like teenage cowboys. These are the only type of drivers that apply for these typr of jobs.

Posted on: 2011/11/20 0:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

asdfdf23 wrote:
Jersey City Drivers, at least in the Heights and JS are very rude, inconsiderate and dangerous.
I drive my kid daily from the Heights to a Charter on Broadway. The number of times I am passed on the left while waiting at a crosswalk is astounding. On top of that I have people swinging around on my right when I want to make a left turn just to beat me by a car length. I am not a slow driver, there is no excuse whatsoever for the actions of this douche bags. It is so blatant and pervasive. I truly think the only viable solution is more enforcement by police.
When I read the story above and found it involved a tow truck, my first thought was: "I wonder if it was the tow truck driver that made 3 illegal lane changes to get ahead of traffic about 3 weeks ago when a long line of cars was waiting to turn left from Broadway onto Tonelle."
In regards to that "crazy" crossing guard at St Paul's & JFK. Yes I agree she is crazy but she is very effective. Something tells me she was not at this corner when this accident happened.

She's always there by 2:30, so if she wasn't there then the PD should've been there. Since there is a no turn on red until 4 on school days, I would like know if the light was green.

Posted on: 2011/11/19 23:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
No doubt that Tow-truck drivers are the worst. I constantly see the Truchan Bros. trucks flying around the streets in downtown JC.

Posted on: 2011/11/19 22:59

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/8/12 11:58
Group:
Registered Users
I drive my kid daily from the Heights to a Charter on Broadway. The number of times I am passed on the left while waiting at a crosswalk is astounding. On top of that I have people swinging around on my right when I want to make a left turn just to beat me by a car length. I am not a slow driver, there is no excuse whatsoever for the actions of this douche bags. It is so blatant and pervasive. I truly think the only viable solution is more enforcement by police.
When I read the story above and found it involved a tow truck, my first thought was: "I wonder if it was the tow truck driver that made 3 illegal lane changes to get ahead of traffic about 3 weeks ago when a long line of cars was waiting to turn left from Broadway onto Tonelle."
In regards to that "crazy" crossing guard at St Paul's & JFK. Yes I agree she is crazy but she is very effective. Something tells me she was not at this corner when this accident happened.

Posted on: 2011/11/19 20:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
For reasons I don't know, the state decide to shut down access to a major highway without creating a viable detour. Traffic has picked up on the BLVD trying to get around the detour.

ST. Pauls ave with the new traffic has gotten really bad.. Manly because the left signal at tonnele ave, That cause most of the backup. Why can't they reprogram the light and allow people to make the left on green, instead the that turn only last enough for 4 cars. This cause a backup with goes all the way up to JFK.

Posted on: 2011/11/19 15:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/8/8 14:59
Group:
Banned
It's not just a short cut, it's the main route to 280 since they closed access from Tonnelle Circle and moved the onramp to St. Paul's Avenue by the railroad tracks.

I drive through this intersection every day, and it's extremely dangerous for pedestrians. The sidewalk dips down steeply towards the road and there is a traffic box and poles that obscures drivers' vision of pedestrians trying to cross.

There's always a crazy (but effective) crossing guard there at this time. I wonder what happened.

Posted on: 2011/11/19 15:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/8 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
sadly these accidents will become more frequent as JC refuses to address pedestrian safety in a serious fashion and the city continues to be a major thruway for distracted commuters...

Posted on: 2011/11/19 13:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
I'd say it is a shortcut from the HWY 1&9 Was the driver issued any tickets ? I notice lately that people tune things out around them disregarding anything as unimportant or silly. Or just plain not paying attention. Were any cell phones involved ?

Posted on: 2011/11/19 3:26

JSQ: Woman walking to pick up grandchild after school is struck and killed on St. Paul's Avenue
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
(Bless this poor grandmother and her grandchild..how sad. It looks like she was in the crosswalk. That is a bad corner..cars don't stop when making that right.)

Woman walking to pick up grandchild after school is struck and killed on St. Paul's Avenue in Jersey City

Updated: Friday, November 18, 2011, 4:10 PM

By Travis Fedschun/The Jersey Journal

A woman walking to pick up her grandchild from school was killed when she was struck by a vehicle on St. Paul's Avenue near Kennedy Boulevard at around 2:30 this afternoon.

The accident occurred next to School 31, which is attended by the woman's grandchild. The victim's son arrived at the school just before 3 p.m. and was rushed inside.

Police were seen taking photographs of a tow truck that had a United States Postal Service mail carrier van hitched to it. It is believed that the tow truck was involved in the accident.

Witnesses at the scene said that the vehicle was traveling south on Kennedy Boulevard and made a right turn onto St. Paul's Avenue before striking the woman.

From photos at the scene, it appears that the victim was carrying two bags with groceries at the time. The body of the victim had been covered with a large sheet and later police put up a canopy.

Parents at the school complained this afternoon that the intersection has become dangerous since changes to the Route 1&9 traffic pattern were implemented last month. They say more people are using St. Paul's Avenue as a shortcut to the highway.

Full JJ piece?.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... struck_and_killed_on.html

Buy the JJ..you know you want it gotta have it!

Posted on: 2011/11/18 21:42

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017