Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
111 user(s) are online (106 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 111

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: should the city council ban political fundraising in government offices?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
thank you Althea for illustrating the issue better than I.

this could be done through legislation or policy (executive order)

for more info - http://thecitizenscampaign.com/local- ... ore-needs-to-be-done.html

http://civicjc.org/modules/AMS/article.php?storyid=36

and yes, I did work on the survey back in '08

Posted on: 2011/10/25 15:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Althea wrote:
It is my understanding that at least some of it such as the use of campaign colors at tax payer funded, city sponsored events is without a doubt illegal. However, no one does anything about it and it isn't reported on in the press.

They weren't using campaign colors at a tax payer funded event. They were using the tax payer funded event colors on the campaign mailers.

Or put another way, while its one of those scumbag things machine politicians do, there isn't anything you can do about using a color scheme.

Posted on: 2011/10/25 15:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/23 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CatDog wrote:
Quote:

Althea wrote:
In my time working at City Hall I have seen administrators go around with bundles of fundraiser tickets that they plop on employees desks and ask them to sell. I've seen emails about political fundraisers sent through the email system. Heck, if you notice Healy's campaign colors from the 2009 mayoral campaign and you look at the colors used for all tax payer paid for cultural affairs events, you will see the color scheme was identical during that period! People want transparency, i think it is far too transparent at times.
Isn't it already illegal at the federal level to do things like this?

It is my understanding that at least some of it such as the use of campaign colors at tax payer funded, city sponsored events is without a doubt illegal. However, no one does anything about it and it isn't reported on in the press.

How much the rest of this is covered under state or federal law is something I have never looked into due to lack of time.

Someone at City hall must have misplaced the memo telling them so... I mean really if Big Rig isn't going to bring you down and the voters keep voting these people in, then pretty much you know you can do what you want.

There should be a policy set in place for the gray areas. I just thought all that Dan was suggesting was a way of shining light on this and making a strong statement. It's always good to get our elected officials to say things on the record so you can either point out their inconsistencies or hold their feet to the flame. It sends the message that the voters are aware and not willing to tolerate business as usual.

Posted on: 2011/10/25 14:22
soshin: Mention guns and bd pops up through a hole in the ground like a heavily armed meercat

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Althea wrote:
In my time working at City Hall I have seen administrators go around with bundles of fundraiser tickets that they plop on employees desks and ask them to sell. I've seen emails about political fundraisers sent through the email system. Heck, if you notice Healy's campaign colors from the 2009 mayoral campaign and you look at the colors used for all tax payer paid for cultural affairs events, you will see the color scheme was identical during that period! People want transparency, i think it is far too transparent at times.
Isn't it already illegal at the federal level to do things like this?

Posted on: 2011/10/25 14:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/23 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
At the very least this should be done as a policy. The mayor sets the tone for this. In my time working at City Hall I have seen administrators go around with bundles of fundraiser tickets that they plop on employees desks and ask them to sell. I've seen emails about political fundraisers sent through the email system. Heck, if you notice Healy's campaign colors from the 2009 mayoral campaign and you look at the colors used for all tax payer paid for cultural affairs events, you will see the color scheme was identical during that period! People want transparency, i think it is far too transparent at times.

I don't think there is an issue with someone from the public coming in to drop off a check for a fundraiser because it is easy for that person or the use of private cell phones or email accounts. I see that as publicly driven.

However, when it comes from the administration or is employee driven at the higher levels, that is an issue. This sets the culture and tone of the City's workforce.

Unfortunately, these initiatives, whether there are already laws regulating this activity or not, lies in the hands of the executive, not legislative branch of our municipal government.

The Council could draft a resolution stating that they do not condone certain ways political fundraising is conducted during working hours on City property, but it would have little to no impact.

You need to actually change the culture before you can change the perception.

Posted on: 2011/10/25 13:44
soshin: Mention guns and bd pops up through a hole in the ground like a heavily armed meercat

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/25 11:06
Group:
Registered Users
Sorry bud i am usually with you on things like this but there is already a state statute about using public property. Also any employee approached can say no and have a nice whistleblower. Lawsuit if they are retaliated.

Posted on: 2011/10/25 11:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
In my experience, elected officials do not use public telephones or public email addresses for soliciting contributions but instead keep personal email addresses and personal cellular phones for these purposes.

If you are suggesting that elected officials should leave City Hall to make calls on their personal cellular phones or communicate using personal email adresses, I think this is an unreasonable expectation.

First of all, the wireless revolution has changed the way we all interact with communications devices; we live in an always on world. The wireless signal inside of city hall is the same signal ten feet outside the door.

Second, is the public interest better served with elected officials spending more time outside of city hall using personal communications devices or is the public interest served having them available in their offices with access to personal devices in those offices? I suspect its better they are available to the public rather than sequestered off site.

Third, is insisting a public official leave a public building really going to prevent a corrupt official from being corrupt? Probably not. At least if they wheeling and dealing inside city hall, the Feds know where to plant the recording devices.

Posted on: 2011/10/25 3:03

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/25 23:53
Group:
Registered Users
Can you give any examples of where this type of activity has occurred ?

Posted on: 2011/10/25 1:08

should the city council ban political fundraising in government offices?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
should the city council ban political fundraising in government offices?

there is presently no ban on solicitation or acceptance of political contributions by public office holders, candidates and/or employees while in any government building in the discharge of official duties or while using public property.

solicitation and/or acceptance of political contributions in any government building in the discharge of official duties or while using public property can undermine the efficiency of government by taking officials and employees away from the people's business, and leads to the appearance of improper influence of political contributions on government functions.

is it now time to root out conflicts of interest and the appearance of conflicts of interest that undermine the efficiency of government and erode the pubic trust in Jersey City government?

-

Posted on: 2011/10/25 0:12

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017