Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
151 user(s) are online (138 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 151

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Bleecker Street?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/3/4 2:56
Group:
Registered Users
Anywhere from Congress to Charles, maybe sometimes Bowers, is a nice area. Especially from Central to Kennedy Blvd.

Nightlife not good in this area? That may actually be a good thing. lol However, there a local pub that's very friendly, and has tons of old timers there called New Moon on Manhatten Ave, I hear it's pretty chill there.

Also, not sure how much you know about the Heights, but avoid Ringside on Tonelle Ave, at all costs!

Posted on: 2010/5/24 14:06

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/1/23 2:17
Group:
Registered Users
There is a listing for Community Lines, Inc. If it's the same Community Lines, they're based at 1 Oxford Avenue (corner of Sackett Street) (the address of the old Downtown Bus Company). Telephone number listed is (201) 309-0006.

Posted on: 2010/5/23 2:58

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/5/22 19:44
Group:
Registered Users
thanks!

Posted on: 2010/5/22 19:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/16 15:40
From Village
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Rays wrote:
I only know the schedule because I've been using the jitneys for a very long time, but have never looked it up anywhere.

I believe they're called Community Lines. There are jitneys every few seconds running to Journal Square and Port Authority during AM and PM rush hour. They run maybe every 5 minutes during normal hours on the weekends. You can catch them at the regular bus stop, there is one on each side of the blvd on Bleeker so you won't have to walk much.

You'll be able to catch the jitney to Journal Square very early in the morning, the earliest I've every taken it is 6:00am. It will leave you directly inside Journal Square and costs $1.50. I believe they stop running at 9 or 9:30pm from Journal Square so you'll have to take a cab home.

The jitney to Port Authority: There's the 51 or 56, both will take you inside Port Authority's terminal, gates 51 or 56. You can purchase a ticket inside Port Authority, by all the ticket booths, it's the one that says Community Lines. Tickets are $2.00 each. If you don't purchase the ticket in advance, you'll have to pay $2.50 each way.

There's the 7th Ave. Jitney that takes you to 7th Avenue and 40th Street. There's also the Kennedy Blvd Jitney that will take you towards North Bergen so do not take that one if you're going into New York City. They all have signs so just make sure you're in one of the NY ones or just ask the driver before you get on.

These also run constantly. When you're coming home from the city, there's never a wait, there are several jitneys waiting at the gate, you might just have to wait till it gets filled up. The last one out of Port Authority every day is 1am by gate 51.

This is probably all the info you need but here's the link to the relevant Port Authority page: http://www.tstc.org/bus/bus_list.html#hudson (you'll notice the jitney doesn't have a website, just a phone number, but you can get info about other bus transit options).

Posted on: 2010/5/22 18:33

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/1/27 20:34
Group:
Registered Users
And fyi, I mentioned safety earlier so just want to let you know a little about the way they run. I don't think they're regulated so they're kind of just all over the place. Sometimes drivers in the morning compete for riders so they'll go really slow or really fast, really depends. They also sometimes stop at places other than bus stops to pick people up, which can create issues on the blvd with the other cars.

Police have been cracking down on them lately so I've noticed that they're only stopping at the bus stops and aren't letting people off just anywhere.

For the most part, they're safe and efficient, however, once in a while, you might get a loony. Welcome to the world of jitneys, if you decide to take them, they're a daily part of my life now.

Posted on: 2010/5/22 14:03

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I only know the schedule because I've been using the jitneys for a very long time, but have never looked it up anywhere.

I believe they're called Community Lines. There are jitneys every few seconds running to Journal Square and Port Authority during AM and PM rush hour. They run maybe every 5 minutes during normal hours on the weekends. You can catch them at the regular bus stop, there is one on each side of the blvd on Bleeker so you won't have to walk much.

You'll be able to catch the jitney to Journal Square very early in the morning, the earliest I've every taken it is 6:00am. It will leave you directly inside Journal Square and costs $1.50. I believe they stop running at 9 or 9:30pm from Journal Square so you'll have to take a cab home.

The jitney to Port Authority: There's the 51 or 56, both will take you inside Port Authority's terminal, gates 51 or 56. You can purchase a ticket inside Port Authority, by all the ticket booths, it's the one that says Community Lines. Tickets are $2.00 each. If you don't purchase the ticket in advance, you'll have to pay $2.50 each way.

There's the 7th Ave. Jitney that takes you to 7th Avenue and 40th Street. There's also the Kennedy Blvd Jitney that will take you towards North Bergen so do not take that one if you're going into New York City. They all have signs so just make sure you're in one of the NY ones or just ask the driver before you get on.

These also run constantly. When you're coming home from the city, there's never a wait, there are several jitneys waiting at the gate, you might just have to wait till it gets filled up. The last one out of Port Authority every day is 1am by gate 51.

Posted on: 2010/5/22 13:41

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
ok, so i was able to find a schedule for all of the buses noted in everyone's post--thank you--and i am familiar with the light rail and path of course, but i haven't been able to find the schedule(s) for the jitney--I googled it bc, well, until reading the post above, i've never heard of it. where can i find the schedule for it and the fees? i would like to find out about all of my transportation options into and out of the city for when i move later in the summer. can i find info about it at port authority bc google wasn't helpful in finding the schedule/fare. thanks

Posted on: 2010/5/22 1:53

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I might get slammed by other posters on this one, but I've probably only used a bus once or twice since I've been living in the heights. The second i walk onto the corner, there's a jitney passing by to take me to journal square or port authority. They're cheaper and much faster, though I know some people worry about their safety. Either way, congratuations!

Posted on: 2010/5/21 18:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HudsonCity wrote:
Glad you like it. Bleecker Street near the Boulevard is a nice area and you've the #88 to Journal Square or North Bergen and the #125 to PABT and on Summit the #83 to Journal Square or Hackensack.

Just for the record PABT is the Port Authority Bus Terminal in New York City midtown (Manhattan)

Posted on: 2010/5/21 17:03

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/1/23 2:17
Group:
Registered Users
Glad you like it. Bleecker Street near the Boulevard is a nice area and you've the #88 to Journal Square or North Bergen and the #125 to PABT and on Summit the #83 to Journal Square or Hackensack.

Posted on: 2010/5/21 16:00

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Thank you so much everyone for all of the replies. We signed the contract today! I am so excited! Heights thank you for the recommendation, I will check out the Heights Police Captain's Community Meeting. I work in NYC--im an attorney--and I often get off after 7 but I am going to try to make some of the meetings.

and yes, while i don't have a family yet, i prefer to live around families instead of bars--i'm not much of a night life person.

thank you everyone again for the replies! I'm so happy and the condo is sooo nice. Im trying not to get too excited.

Posted on: 2010/5/21 1:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
no night clubs, bars and the like is a good thing........I'd relate that to less people loitering around and gangs.........more families the better in an area.........even a park near by doesn't do people a favor..........just look at the ongoing crap happening around the 2 main ones downtown !

Posted on: 2010/5/21 0:48
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/25 1:50
Group:
Registered Users
i grew up a few blocks south of that area. it's relatively quiet and safe, unlike other portions of the heights farther east, which people tend to have mixed feelings about. you shouldn't have any major safety problems walking around there at night. good luck

Posted on: 2010/5/20 21:08

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/9/13 18:47
Group:
Registered Users
I live near there. It's a nice area, I have some really nice neighbors. Like someone else said it's residential, so there are more families and less nightlife, but the heights isn't isolated lol, so going to other places for nightlife like hoboken or downtown isn't really a problem. It's also pretty convenient if you travel to Manhattan. I've lived in the heights since I was 12 and by the slopes since I was 16, so from my experience I would say they area is nice.

Posted on: 2010/5/20 19:45

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I live on South and like the area a lot. I work in the city and sometimes come home late at night, never a problem. It's true that there's not much going on at night in terms of bars, but there are plenty of restaurants on Central, the light rail is about a 15 minute walk from where you would be and journal square is only 5-10 minute ride away.

Go for it.

Posted on: 2010/5/20 16:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/18 15:54
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bm40 wrote:
It is in the heights, which is a fine area (specifically your block). I just graduated njcu and all of my classmates lived in the area. I visit them frequently and feel totally comfortable walking around. The only thing I don't like about the area is there is not much to do at night in terms of bars you can walk to. I just got a place on wayne st and i wish people would respond to my questions about it being a safe block or not. congrats on finding a place you like.

What are you talking about? Just use the search button on the upper right hand side of the page and you will find plenty of topics on wayne street. There was a thread a day or so ago about Wayne St. Wayne St stinks but is getting better, I live on Wayne St just not on the block in question which is btwn Jersey and Barrow.

Posted on: 2010/5/20 12:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
I am a life long resident of the Heights. The area you mention is a decent area; at least you are near a major intersection so if you do decide to walk around there people should be near by. The pediatrician's office is around the corner as well as the gas station. St. Anne?s church is also in the area their street festival is usually the last weekend in July. The Heights is mainly a residential area so it is usually quiet when it comes to nightlife. Businesses are contained on Central Ave., which by the way is having their Everything J.C. Festival street fair this Saturday from 11am till 6pm.
http://www.jcheights.com/
Tonight is the Heights Police Captain's Community Meeting at P.S. #28 School on Hancock Ave east of Central Ave. between South & Bowers streets, start time at 7:00 pm. every third Thursday of the month. It is tied in with the local block association. Generally most residents have 2 monthly community meetings to attend, their local block association, and the district Captain's Meeting, we are in the North District so tonight is the captain's meeting mentioned above.
This is a good way to immerse youself so you can get the jist of how the area is. I bike around the Heights a lot so I kind of know where the safe spots are. There are some problem areas but all in all the Heights is a decent place to live.

Posted on: 2010/5/20 12:17

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
thank you so much for the response. i know someone who is familiar with certain areas of jc and i will ask her about wayne street. what area of jc is that?

Posted on: 2010/5/20 11:43

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/1/30 1:48
Group:
Registered Users
It is in the heights, which is a fine area (specifically your block). I just graduated njcu and all of my classmates lived in the area. I visit them frequently and feel totally comfortable walking around. The only thing I don't like about the area is there is not much to do at night in terms of bars you can walk to. I just got a place on wayne st and i wish people would respond to my questions about it being a safe block or not. congrats on finding a place you like.

Posted on: 2010/5/20 6:27

Bleecker Street?

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I am thinking of buying a condo on bleecker street near jfk blvd and am trying to find out as much as possibe about this area. i really love the condo and its a plus that there is a bus to nyc right on the corner. i am a single female and would appreciate if anyone familiar with this street could give me their thoughts on the area. i've googled the street and searched this forum but found nothing. again, would greatly appreciate any thoughts, particularly on safety, etc.

thank you

Posted on: 2010/5/20 4:56

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017