Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
101 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 101

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Living in former firehouses -- Residents transform them into homes, possible theater
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/12/23 2:50
Group:
Registered Users
I am much more in favor of the city selling the building, getting taxes from it, and in the process hopefully getting all of the benefits that you mentioned. That is what happened at the firehouse I described in a previous post.

Furthermore, I'll take a trustifarian redoing the building at great cost over the notion that "the restoration is paid by someone else...the nonprofit group instead of taxpayers." The very nature of a nonprofit means that the remaining taxpayers are paying the tax bill.

Quote:

jcity wrote:
Yes Chief,
J CITY Theater is a non profit organization.
And the $1 a year lease program is a program that allows non profit groups the use of city owned buildings. It is a method that several municipalities use to provide support to the arts and other non profit organizations. It is by no means the only proposal we have discussed with the city, but it is a well researched way that allows cities to support groups in a responsible and measured way. There are several examples of these programs that you can read in our proposal, but one of the main features, is that it keeps the city in an ownership position thus allowing it to oversee the group and insure that the group is fulfilling it's mission of serving the community.

Interestingly, NYC just did this with one of it's firehouses and the Brooklyn Philharmonic. Here's the link:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/03/nyregion/03firehouses.html

Also, the city gains by having an historic building saved - and the restoration is paid by someone else...the nonprofit group instead of taxpayers.

And to answer your other question: the estimated economic impact is also explained in the proposal and based on the figure of ticket sales, facility rentals, and program fees. (No apartments, the entire facility will be used by the community.) And also factored in is the research that patrons spend twice the cost of their tickets in the local economy.

So in the end, the city benefits by:
* Gaining a performing arts center - with several community oriented programs.
* Saving a historical building (that someone else pays for.)
* Having a facility that is generating ongoing revenue for the city and the local economy.

Or...they could sell it and get a one time amount of money that would go to plug budget holes. Also, as the building is on the edge of the historic district, I do not believe that it is protected, and the developer could demo it.

Thanks for bringing these issues up Chief.

Posted on: 2008/8/13 1:00

Re: Living in former firehouses -- Residents transform them into homes, possible theater
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/18 15:54
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
What's with that small section on the front of the house that looks like an addition but it could only be about 3-4 ft wide? Doesn't make much sense for a 3ft addition to the side. It look a little weird and throws off the symmetry.

I was at the VVP meeting a couple months back and someone was asking Matsikoudis about the fire house. I called city hall about it and they said that they would send me some information that I have yet to receive.

Posted on: 2008/8/12 20:40

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/8/28 14:10
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for putting the Bright St. firehouse on the market. I've wanted to buy that for years.

Posted on: 2008/8/12 19:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/8 16:46
Group:
Registered Users
Yes Chief,
J CITY Theater is a non profit organization.
And the $1 a year lease program is a program that allows non profit groups the use of city owned buildings. It is a method that several municipalities use to provide support to the arts and other non profit organizations. It is by no means the only proposal we have discussed with the city, but it is a well researched way that allows cities to support groups in a responsible and measured way. There are several examples of these programs that you can read in our proposal, but one of the main features, is that it keeps the city in an ownership position thus allowing it to oversee the group and insure that the group is fulfilling it's mission of serving the community.

Interestingly, NYC just did this with one of it's firehouses and the Brooklyn Philharmonic. Here's the link:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/03/nyregion/03firehouses.html

Also, the city gains by having an historic building saved - and the restoration is paid by someone else...the nonprofit group instead of taxpayers.

And to answer your other question: the estimated economic impact is also explained in the proposal and based on the figure of ticket sales, facility rentals, and program fees. (No apartments, the entire facility will be used by the community.) And also factored in is the research that patrons spend twice the cost of their tickets in the local economy.

So in the end, the city benefits by:
* Gaining a performing arts center - with several community oriented programs.
* Saving a historical building (that someone else pays for.)
* Having a facility that is generating ongoing revenue for the city and the local economy.

Or...they could sell it and get a one time amount of money that would go to plug budget holes. Also, as the building is on the edge of the historic district, I do not believe that it is protected, and the developer could demo it.

Thanks for bringing these issues up Chief.

Posted on: 2008/8/12 16:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/18 15:54
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
But $1 per year? Is there going to be an apartment upstairs that you will live in? Is this a non-profit? That 420k revenue will be made how?

Please elaborate so we can make an informed decision. Hey I would love a firehouse for $1 per year.

Posted on: 2008/8/12 15:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/8 16:46
Group:
Registered Users
Many thanks to Richardo and The Hudson Reporter for mentioning our proposal in regards to 14 Bright Street. I thought I would post to add a few details of our project:

I think many people are aware that there is little to no available performance space in downtown Jersey City. Especially after Victory Hall closed. Many arts groups and theaters are using borrowed spaces in local schools or church basements.

When we noticed that the Fire House at 14 Bright was no longer being used by the day care center, we approached the city with a proposal and have received a lot of support, particularly from City Council President Mariano Vega.

We propose a full restoration of this amazing building with the purpose of developing it into a state of the art performance space.
We envision a theater for stage performances, acoustical concerts, screenings of independent and ?art house? films, and an art gallery.
But also a space that can host our proposed programs of:
Internships with local high schools and colleges ? programs to train the next generation of theater professionals.
Mentoring programs between Jersey City?s seniors and at risk youth.
Partnering with the Boys and Girls Clubs (across the street) for performance space and classes in acting, directing and playwriting.
Space for play readings and development.

At this point we have 5 Council members who have given us enthusiastic support for this proposal. We also have obtained the support of the Van Vorst Park Association and Mr. Gary Greenberg, Executive Director of The Boys and Girls Club. However, the mayor and the city administrator feel that the city needs to auction off the building to developers, as the city is in need of funding for upcoming budget issues.

Our proposal shows how the firehouse, if used as a performing arts center, can be a financial asset to the city, bringing in approximately $420,000 per year to the local economy. Our research into the economic impact of the arts in NJ shows that:
There were 25% more diners in local restaurants on performance nights in New Brunswick, NJ.
The nonprofit arts in New Jersey is a $1.5 billion dollar industry.
Theater patrons will spend more than twice the cost of their tickets in the local economy (restaurants, parking, cabs, etc.)
The mayor of Millville, NJ sites their arts scene as the single greatest factor in tripling property values.
A local arts scene is sited as one of the top 5 reasons corporations and businesses decide to locate, stay and expand into a particular city.

The article also mentions Mr. O?Reilly?s suggestions of using the theater at the Museum or the Lowes. Since the council meeting, I have had to opportunity of further discussions with Mr. O?Reilly ? explaining the museum?s theater space is not really an option as they are not open in the evenings and they have no backstage area. Also, while the Lowes is an amazing space ? it is cost prohibitive and too large. Also, these two spaces place us in a rental situation ? which would be prevent us from creating a home base where we could run many of our proposed programs.

We hope to develop the Fire House into a constantly active space where something is happening every night. Theater, film, music, classes?a hub of activity for the entire community.

To see the full proposal ? which includes pictures of the interior of the FireHouse ? please visit our website: www.jcity.org and click on the link at the bottom of the home page.

Also, if this is a project that you can support, please email the mayor to tell him what you think. MayorHealy@jcnj.org

Thanks,
Clay Cockrell
Executive Producer
J CITY Theater
www.jcity.org

Posted on: 2008/8/12 14:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/12/23 2:50
Group:
Registered Users
Here is an example of what can be done with a decommissioned firehouse if one has enough bank. I used to go by it and say, "that's my firehouse", but left New Haven before buying it would have been an option. I would have made it livable and used the bays to park and work on my vehicles. Instead, it is now a club (and residence) more in character with the current neighborhood. I went there and marveled at the money that the owners put into the place and the NYC-like crowd it attracted. Not my dream, but gentrification was good for this place...

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/09/realestate/09habi.html?fta=y

http://firehouse12.com/index.asp

Posted on: 2008/8/12 1:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/28 12:09
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

grovester wrote:
There was one on Wayne near the corner of Grove (I think), that was on the market forever.

I thought it was listed on Boyne Realty, but I don't see it on there now. So maybe it sold, or was just taken off the market. But the photos of it looked pretty cool.

It's on Mercer, just off Grove. Recently sold, I believe, but you are right, it was on the market for a long time.

Posted on: 2008/8/10 16:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/8 22:02
Group:
Registered Users
There was one on Wayne near the corner of Grove (I think), that was on the market forever.

I thought it was listed on Boyne Realty, but I don't see it on there now. So maybe it sold, or was just taken off the market. But the photos of it looked pretty cool.

Posted on: 2008/8/10 15:50
Thank you for making The Great Jersey City SOUP SWAP an annual success! See you in January 2013 for the next Soup Swap!

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/14 2:47
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Living in former firehouses -- Residents transform them into homes, possible theater

The J City Theater, if allowed to lease the firehouse from the city for $1 per year, would put in the financing to renovate the building into a 75-seat theater. It would also have a gymnasium, art gallery and community room where plays, films and art could be shown.

How can I get one of these firehouses? I've been hitting hard times as of late and this could turn things around.

Posted on: 2008/8/10 14:35

Living in former firehouses -- Residents transform them into homes, possible theater
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users

Ricardo Kaulessar
Reporter staff writer
08/09/2008

Around Jersey City, they are reminders of a time when firemen rushed to a flaming home on horse-drawn wagons.

Ira Rubin, archivist for the Jersey City Fire Department, estimates there are 13 firehouses in Jersey City that are no longer in use. Twelve inactive and active firehouses are listed on the New Jersey State Historic Register.

One firehouse is now home to a painter and his wife. Another is being sought by a local theatrical company to possibly host a new theater.

At 218 Central Ave., 520-526 Palisade Ave., and 14 Bright St., former firehouses sit empty. But there are plans by the city to sell the Central Avenue and Bright Street firehouses to developers.

The Palisade Avenue firehouse is owned by a California resident, but a Bayonne firm wants to buy the building to house 80 employees.

An old firehouse at 244 Bay St., which served as the headquarters of the Fire Department from 1871 to 1933, still maintains a connection to firefighting, as it is the home of the Gong Club, the Jersey City-based volunteer group that assists Jersey City and other Hudson County fire departments by offering beverages, food, and remedies while firefighting. Also, the firehouse is home to a museum with Fire Department memorabilia.

Rubin said people are interested in buying firehouses for a number of reasons.

"They are big spaces, especially if you need to put in a car, and they are usually well constructed," he said.

Living in a firehouse

Advertisement
Jeremy Smith is a painter, as well as a teacher in a suburban school. He lives with his wife in a two-family house at 278 Sixth St., formerly the station of Engine Company 5.

Smith and his wife purchased their current home about 10 years ago from the previous owner, who had bought it from the city in 1978 and had restored it.

What it is like living in a firehouse?

Smith said much of the space is a shell, and there are no reminders of its former existence.

But he said it is spacious enough for him to do his artwork.

He said that visitors usually ask him the same question about it.

"The first question I get is, 'Does it still have a pole?' "

City not fired up by change

The Jersey City-based J City Theater appeared at the June 25 City Council meeting, but it wasn't to encourage the council members to check out one of their plays. Instead, Clay Cockrell, one of the founders of the theater company, was trying to persuade the council to let them transform the old Passaic Hose Engine Company headquarters at 14 Bright St. into the group's new home.

The J City Theater, if allowed to lease the firehouse from the city for $1 per year, would put in the financing to renovate the building into a 75-seat theater. It would also have a gymnasium, art gallery and community room where plays, films and art could be shown.

But the city has other plans for the firehouse, as it is currently on the selling block.

City Business Administrator Brian O' Reilly responded to Cockrell.

"There are many people who want to open a restaurant there, open a professional business there, who want to build on the lot next door," he said.

He also encouraged Cockrell to consider the Jersey City Museum on Montgomery Street or the Loews Theater in Journal Square as possible locations for productions.

Could be reopened as...a firehouse?

The city has different plans for another firehouse, the old Engine Company 18 Firehouse at 218 Central Ave. At an October, 2006 meeting, the City Council rejected a bid of $382,000 from an auction.

They were convinced not to put the firehouse back on sale by veteran Jersey City firefighters, who said the fire station should be reopened for active service because it could serve Journal Square, the Heights, and parts of downtown Jersey City.

However, the city has not indicated at the present time what it plans to do with the 218 Central Ave. firehouse, according to City Councilman Bill Gaughan, who represents the area where the firehouse is located.

A love of firehouses

If there is anything that needs to be known about old time Jersey City firehouses, there's a good chance that Ira Rubin knows.

Rubin, who is a dispatcher for the Jersey City Fire Department, says a majority of the firehouse buildings in Jersey City were built before 1900.

Rubin said they contained common features such as poles, overhead doors, spiral staircases, and tin ceilings, as well as being built of brick - all of which contributes to his admiration of the structures.

"Personally, I like the traditional look of these pre-1900 firehouses," Rubin said. "Some of these firehouses were built by craftsmen who took pride in their product."

But Rubin said those firehouses can never be restored again to be active firehouses, because it is cost-prohibitive, and new regulations call for the one-story modern firehouses.

Examples of those are the fire stations on Marin Boulevard and on the corner of Palisade Avenue and Congress Street.

As for Rubin owning a firehouse of his own, he laments, "I didn't have the scratch years ago, and I don't have the millions to get one now."

Comments on this story can be sent to rkaulessar@hudsonreporter.com

Posted on: 2008/8/10 13:58

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017