Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
132 user(s) are online (122 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 132

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Downtown (Johnston Avenue and Grand Street) Federal fugitive takes 2 bullets
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/26 19:42
From Chilltown, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jc_dweller wrote:
Aside from maybe those who live in Morris Canal, pretty much everyone (and everything - signs, maps) in today's era would agree, downtown starts/ends at the turnpike.

It bothers me too when Grove Path gets the neighborhoods wrong but this time he is only off by a block. Downtown doesnt end at the turnpike thats what mostly people that didnt grow up in downtown say. Past the turnpike the borders of downtown are Wayne(north) and Grand(south), with Amity and Forence(both west) with the intersection of Grand and Fairmount as the south west border. A good way to remember is if its east of Montgomery projects and north of Grand until Fairmount its downtown. The area of the shooting Id say is more towards the junction area. Why do you think this area goes to Ferris high school, has a 07302 zipcode and is part of the east police district, thats because it is downtown.

Check the map.

http://www.destinationjerseycity.com/maps.php

Posted on: 2008/8/1 2:57

Re: Downtown (Johnston Avenue and Grand Street) Federal fugitive takes 2 bullets
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
Aside from maybe those who live in Morris Canal, pretty much everyone (and everything - signs, maps) in today's era would agree, downtown starts/ends at the turnpike.

Posted on: 2008/7/31 19:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/27 17:44
From Van Vorst Park Historical District
Group:
Registered Users
Hmmm...

The more I think about it...

Maybe it did all go down...

DOWNTOWN.

(Even though it's a few blocks west of the I-78 NJ Turnpike Extension along Grand Street AND it's outside of 07302!)

Posted on: 2008/7/31 0:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/13 23:12
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
UrbanRenewal wrote: I know the borders of Jersey City's neighborhoods tend to be blurry and can even seem to morph. But in my view, especially since this incident happened a number of blocks west of the I-78 NJ Turnpike Extension, I wouldn't consider it Downtown.
No, it is DOWNTOWN. It is east of Baldwin/Summit/Garfield and south of Hoboken therefore it is DOWNTOWN. Those are the boundries of DOWNTOWN. You can look it up on a map but there is really no need to because I said it's true. It is most definately DOWNTOWN. That is where the shootout involving the federal fugitive occurred, in DOWNTOWN. Incidentally, that is where most of the federal fugitives like to spend their time, DOWNTOWN. They especially like the Van Vorst Park Historic District. They like it there because it has nice things and a dog run. They often gather in the park in the afternoons to chat and play checkers. They like DOWNTOWN because the lights are much brighter there. They can forget all their troubles forget all their cares and go DOWNTOWN.

Posted on: 2008/7/31 0:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
No worries.

I just figured it couldn't hurt to mention it.

Posted on: 2008/7/30 18:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

UrbanRenewal wrote:
Hi GrovePath,

Thanks for continuing to post news stories to JCList.com.

It's a great service and I really appreciate it.

One little observation though...

...it sort of feels like a stretch to label this particular area as part of Downtown (though I wouldn't be surprised if realtors start calling it "Downtown West" or something along those lines over the next decade or two!)...

Sorry and I do agree with you -- the border areas of JC are often in dispute ( "map to map" or "old timer to old timer") but most Downtowners now think of the turnpike overpass as the natural / "man made" boundary for the downtown area.

Posted on: 2008/7/30 18:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Hi GrovePath,

Thanks for continuing to post news stories to JCList.com.

It's a great service and I really appreciate it.

One little observation though...

I know the borders of Jersey City's neighborhoods tend to be blurry and can even seem to morph.

But in my view, especially since this incident happened a number of blocks west of the I-78 NJ Turnpike Extension, I wouldn't consider it Downtown.

According to this map, it would be the McGinley Square neighborhood if it happened on the north side of Grand Street.

Or possibly the Bergen/Lafayette neighborhood if it occured on the south side of Grand Street.

So it sort of feels like a stretch to label this particular area as part of Downtown (though I wouldn't be surprised if realtors start calling it "Downtown West" or something along those lines over the next decade or two!).

Just my two cents,

UrbanRenewal

Posted on: 2008/7/30 18:24

Downtown (Johnston Avenue and Grand Street) Federal fugitive takes 2 bullets
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Federal fugitive takes 2 bullets

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

An escapee from a halfway house was shot twice last night at the corner of Johnston Avenue and Grand Street, Jersey City authorities said.

The man, who was not identified by law enforcement agencies, was shot once in the lower back and once in the chest at about 7:20 p.m., said Jersey City police spokesman Lt. Edgar Martinez. The victim was rushed to the Jersey City Medical Center, where he was in critical condition last night at press time.

Since the man is an escapee from a federal halfway house, Martinez said, the U.S. Marshals Service is taking over the investigation. The U.S. Marshals Service did not return calls last night.

The man was uncooperative with officers questioning him, Martinez said.

ABRAM MANALASTAS

Posted on: 2008/7/30 14:30

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017