Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
125 user(s) are online (112 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 125

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: JC: Robber poses as undercover cop to take driver's cash, phone, PIN number, keys, passport
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
(I found the Fish House Road piece..it was Feb 25,2010..same MO )

Kearny cops say man in silver VW posed as cop to rob two men in car of their wallets

By Tom Shortell
February 25, 2010, 6:50AM

KEARNY -- A brazen con man passing himself off as a police officer ripped off $1,000 from two Long Branch men Tuesday afternoon during a phony police stop.

Driving a silver Volkswagen, the fake cop pulled up alongside the men, who were driving on Fish House Road near Central Avenue at 4:30 p.m., reports said.

The phony officer, who wore no uniform, flashed some kind of badge and told the men to pull over, reports said.

After they pulled over, the con man asked to see their licenses and registrations. As they were fishing through their wallets to retrieve the documents, the fake cop told them to hand over their wallets to speed up the process, which they did, reports said.

The crook then returned to his Volkswagen, but returned in a few minutes and told the men their car had to be towed, so the driver needed to give him the car keys, which he did.
The con man then sped away in his Volkswagen with the car keys and wallets, which contained roughly $1,000.

The thief never showed a weapon, although the victims told police they saw handcuffs, reports said.

"These two guys weren't going to put up an argument. They were doing what they were told to do," said Kearny Police Sgt. John View.

"If someone is uncomfortable, they can always call 911 to ask and confirm if this person is an officer, especially in an industrial area," he added.

From www.nj.com JJ news section

PS ? I would never have stopped either...

Posted on: 2010/4/23 18:49

Re: JC: Robber poses as undercover cop to take driver's cash, phone, PIN number, keys, passport
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/21 20:55
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Since this is by the Tunnel, there are sh*t loads of camera the PA has.. I'm pretty sure with a bit of detective work the car can be traced...

Posted on: 2010/4/23 15:42

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/2/22 0:52
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

FDS_JC wrote:
I know its not nice to blame the victim, but what's wrong with this guy? He pulled over because someone honked at him? No streetsmarts whatsoever

Yeah. A brake-check or middle-finger is really all that's called for in this scenerio. ... I'm sure as heck not pulling over for anyone in a Jetta. Ever.

Posted on: 2010/4/23 14:20

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/2/18 14:37
From JSQ
Group:
Registered Users
I know its not nice to blame the victim, but what's wrong with this guy? He pulled over because someone honked at him? No streetsmarts whatsoever

Posted on: 2010/4/23 14:14

JC: Robber poses as undercover cop to take driver's cash, phone, PIN number, keys, passport
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
(heads up/watch out...a few weeks ago it also happened on Fish House Road (under the Wittpenn bridge). As I recall it was also a silver Jetta)

GOLD BADGE HANGING FROM NECK
Robber poses as undercover cop to take driver's cash, phone, PIN number, keys, passport

Friday, April 23, 2010
By MICHAELANGELO CONTE
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

Jersey City cops are looking for a police impersonator who pulled over a Union City man near the mouth of the Holland Tunnel Wednesday and robbed him of his wallet and bank PIN number, officials said.

The 53-year-old 12th Street man drove out of Home Depot at 9:50 a.m. when he pulled over because a man in a silver Volkswagen Jetta blew its horn, reports said.

The Jetta driver walked up with a gold badge hanging from his neck and demanded the victim's paperwork, reports said.

When the Union City man took out his wallet, the fake cop grabbed it and the man's cell phone, reports said, adding that he also demanded the PIN number for a credit card in the wallet and the victim gave it to him.

A friend of the victim stopped to see if everything was OK and the fake cop told the Bayonne man to leave or he would get in trouble, reports said.

The robber took the victim's keys and passport before telling him not to move, reports said, adding that 45 minutes later the victim called police.

Jersey City police said yesterday that vehicles used by plainclothes officers have lights, sirens and a two-way radio.

Officials said yesterday that if a driver is stopped by an unmarked car and suspects something is wrong, the driver should open the window enough to communicate and tell the person to send a marked car and a uniformed officer.

From www.nj.com JJ news section
Buy support the Jersey Journal

Posted on: 2010/4/23 13:34

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017