Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
163 user(s) are online (143 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 163

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: JC police officer doesn't even know pedestrian law
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/15 23:01
Group:
Banned
Well, if you read further, here is the official rule for marked and unmarked:

The driver of a vehicle must stop and stay stopped for a pedestrian crossing the roadway within any marked crosswalk, but shall yield the right-of-way to a pedestrian crossing the roadway within an unmarked crosswalk at an intersection, except at crosswalks when the movement of traffic is being regulated by police officers or traffic control signals, or where otherwise prohibited by municipal, county, or State regulation, and except where a pedestrian tunnel or overhead pedestrian crossing has been provided, but no pedestrian shall suddenly leave a curb or other place of safety and walk or run into the path of a vehicle which is so close that it is impossible for the driver to yield.

Whenever any vehicle is stopped to permit a pedestrian to cross the roadway, the driver of any other vehicle approaching from the rear shall not overtake and pass such stopped vehicle.

Every pedestrian upon a roadway at any point other than within a marked crosswalk or within an unmarked crosswalk at an intersection shall yield the right-of-way to all vehicles upon the roadway.

So it's not required to stop, but rather to yield when it's unmarked.

Did you get the officer's badge number?

Posted on: 2013/8/20 15:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
sign or not, ped has the right of way in the crosswalk. Always.

Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
Well, then per the OP links, the officer wasn't wrong, correct? Crosswalks don't mean pedestrian right of way. The intersection has to be clearly marked with the signs in the OP's links, no?

Quote:

arcy wrote:
There was no sign there. Just a crosswalk. We need signs like those in Jersey City though.

The Lieutenant just called me. He was very helpful and supportive.

Thanks for all your responses.

Posted on: 2013/8/20 15:38

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/8/23 19:32
From hamilton park
Group:
Registered Users
The law is that cars must stopped for pedestrians in a crosswalk ( NEW JERSEY STATUTE 39:4-36
Driver to stop for pedestrian:
exceptions, violations. penalties.
) . The signs are just an added measure. The law is about the crosswalk and not the signs. Cities like Hoboken have the signs as an added measure. There have been recommendations for Jersey City to invest in the signs. A police officer should know that a pedestrian in a crosswalk has the right of way.
MOTORISTS in New Jersey MUST stop for pedestrians in a marked crosswalk. Failure to observe the law may subject you to one or more of the following:

2 POINTS

$200 FINE (plus court costs)

15 DAYS COMMUNITY SERVICE

INSURANCE SURCHARGES

NEW JERSEY STATUTE 39:4-36
Driver to stop for pedestrian:
exceptions, violations. penalties.

Posted on: 2013/8/20 15:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Well, then per the OP links, the officer wasn't wrong, correct? Crosswalks don't mean pedestrian right of way. The intersection has to be clearly marked with the signs in the OP's links, no?

Quote:

arcy wrote:
There was no sign there. Just a crosswalk. We need signs like those in Jersey City though.

Posted on: 2013/8/20 15:26

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From hamilton park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/8/20 15:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Right, but was the intersection marked with the pedestrian signs to which you linked?

Better yet....if it was marked, did you the officer's badge #?

Posted on: 2013/8/20 15:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/12/18 14:09
Group:
Registered Users
Well, that right there is very representative of everything that's wrong with the driving culture in Jersey City. That cop deserves a reprimand at the very least. I wouldn't be surprised if there's quite a bit of tension between the JCPD and the mayor's office / city council since the transition; perhaps this bad apple was using you as a punching bag to blow off steam.

Quote:

arcy wrote:

I was just crossing the street on Manila and 2nd (8:50 something) and a police car was coming down the street (about a block away). So I assumed I have the right of way (I was two feet off the curb). Well, I walked across the street (going east), politely waved to the officer and after I crossed street the young officer stopped the car just gave me a lecture and said that automobiles have the right of way. He was angry. I politely said, "that was not my understanding but you're a police officer so I take your word for it." He continued to argue with me. I kept saying, "yes Officer." He told me that I was "obstructing traffic." He would not let the matter go. He threatened to give me a ticket. I apologized and said I must have misunderstood the law. I apologized and said I intentionally walked across the street since I saw it was a police car. When I told him this, he said I was "testing him." I said that was not my motive. He said something like I could get my legs cut off by cars and I need to give the cars the right of way.
When I told him that when I'm driving a vehicle, I always stop for pedestrians, he told me that I should have never got a license and that I'm blocking traffic. I said I thought the pedestrian had to be off the curb and then we would give them the right of way.
He stopped traffic for 5 minutes while giving me this lecture.
I googled NJ and pedestrian law. The pedestrians do have the right of way. And there is even a $200 penalty for violating the law. http://www.nj.gov/lps/hts/pedestrian.html
The officer was wrong.
This is why we need "stop to pedestrians" signs at crosswalks, raised crosswalks, and enforcement for pedestrian safety.
I immediately contacted my councilperson, Candice Osborne. She got back to me right away. She also said that on Sunday, they drove around the neighborhood re: street safety. They will be presenting their proposals soon.

Posted on: 2013/8/20 15:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/21 20:55
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
I wont be surprised if it's the same cop I wrote about on here two weeks back.

Posted on: 2013/8/20 14:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Is that intersection marked with a sign?

Posted on: 2013/8/20 14:38

JC police officer doesn't even know pedestrian law
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From hamilton park
Group:
Registered Users

I was just crossing the street on Manila and 2nd (8:50 something) and a police car was coming down the street (about a block away). So I assumed I have the right of way (I was two feet off the curb). Well, I walked across the street (going east), politely waved to the officer and after I crossed street the young officer stopped the car just gave me a lecture and said that automobiles have the right of way. He was angry. I politely said, "that was not my understanding but you're a police officer so I take your word for it." He continued to argue with me. I kept saying, "yes Officer." He told me that I was "obstructing traffic." He would not let the matter go. He threatened to give me a ticket. I apologized and said I must have misunderstood the law. I apologized and said I intentionally walked across the street since I saw it was a police car. When I told him this, he said I was "testing him." I said that was not my motive. He said something like I could get my legs cut off by cars and I need to give the cars the right of way.
When I told him that when I'm driving a vehicle, I always stop for pedestrians, he told me that I should have never got a license and that I'm blocking traffic. I said I thought the pedestrian had to be off the curb and then we would give them the right of way.
He stopped traffic for 5 minutes while giving me this lecture.
I googled NJ and pedestrian law. The pedestrians do have the right of way. And there is even a $200 penalty for violating the law. http://www.nj.gov/lps/hts/pedestrian.html
The officer was wrong.
This is why we need "stop to pedestrians" signs at crosswalks, raised crosswalks, and enforcement for pedestrian safety.
I immediately contacted my councilperson, Candice Osborne. She got back to me right away. She also said that on Sunday, they drove around the neighborhood re: street safety. They will be presenting their proposals soon.

Posted on: 2013/8/20 14:20

« 1 2 3 (4)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017