Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
161 user(s) are online (136 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 161

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Re: 35-year tax break proposed for three-tower Journal Square project
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
When the city does many projects using one source of money, then one bond is written, this is different it has three separate bond ordinances. An example, when the city took left over bond money to do street signs for different streets. It involved one bond ordinance with different addresses. These three bond ordinances have the same addresses with three file numbers and are listed as Journal Square 1, Journal Square 11 and Journal Square 111.

Posted on: 2013/10/28 13:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/6/18 15:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Scroll down to the third page, you will see 3 separate ordinances with 3 different ordinances number. It is listed from 13.122, 13.23, and 13.24. It says to secures bonds or other obligations... http://www.cityofjerseycity.com/uploa ... _Agenda/Agenda%20Document(17).pdf

That is because each of the phases of the project is securing the one $10 million bond issue. One issue. $10 million. Not three issues. Again - because each financial agreement has to reference the same bond, it's understandable why you would read it as three bond issues, but it is not.

Posted on: 2013/10/28 12:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
For some reason, the link is not working, so go to the city's web site, click on government, city clerk, agenda, click the agenda date Oct. 23 and scroll down to the first reading ordinances. You will find 3 separate bond ordinances reflecting Journal Square 1, Journal Square 11, Journal Square 111.

Posted on: 2013/10/28 3:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Scroll down to the third page, you will see 3 separate ordinances with 3 different ordinances number. It is listed from 13.122, 13.23, and 13.24. It says to secures bonds or other obligations... http://www.cityofjerseycity.com/uploa ... _Agenda/Agenda%20Document(17).pdf

Posted on: 2013/10/28 2:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
The city is using the Redevelopment Agency to bond $30 million and the city council must approve. Which means taxpayers are responsible for the debt. Language from the ordinance "Whereas, the city further wishes to approve the execution and delivery of a pledge and assignment..." The city will say we will pay these bonds back through the abatement taxes. But no one can guarantee any developer will follow through.
I know of instances where taxpayers are on the hook to pay for development plans that went sour.

Yvonne - there are $10 million in bonds, not $30 million. Each of the three proposed towers for the project are subject to the indenture for the $10 million bond, however each of the phases has its own financial agreement. Again, one $10 million bond. Three towers. Three financial agreements. Since each financial agreement makes reference to the $10 million bond, its understandable how someone reading the ordinances could come to the conclusion that there are $30 million in bonds.

The bond is secured by the project, should the developer default. The land alone is worth multiples of the borrowing, let alone any improvements that may be completed at the time of default, should that occur.

KRE is Kushner. But not that Kushner. You are thinking of Charlie Kushner, the McGreevy financial backer. KRE is Murray Kushner. Their business interests are entirely separate.

The financial agreement governing the abatement is a 30-year agreement, not 35. This is consistent with the mayor's abatement policy released by the wall street journal a couple months ago.

Posted on: 2013/10/28 0:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
At the last budget hearing, taxpayers paid $59 million in debt service, in the early 1990s it was between $20 to $25 million annual debt service. We shouldn't be in the business of providing funding for developers, especially KRE, which has the money. If the city was to spend that type of money, then why don't they fix our sewerage? I would also like the idea, of paying my debt from my tax bill and I think everyone else would too. I forgot to mention KRE is Kushner, a friend of McGreevey.

Posted on: 2013/10/27 18:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/16 19:07
Group:
Registered Users
See this NYTimes article about how cities bankroll corporations and get zip in return:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/02/us/ ... ankroll-corporations.html

Here's list of incentive deals in New Jersey:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/20 ... rnment-incentives.html#NJ

Posted on: 2013/10/27 17:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
ordinance I put the three bond ordinances together, the taxpaying public, is on the hook.

Posted on: 2013/10/27 17:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The city is using the Redevelopment Agency to bond $30 million and the city council must approve. Which means taxpayers are responsible for the debt. Language from the ordinance "Whereas, the city further wishes to approve the execution and delivery of a pledge and assignment..." The city will say we will pay these bonds back through the abatement taxes. But no one can guarantee any developer will follow through.
I know of instances where taxpayers are on the hook to pay for development plans that went sour.

Posted on: 2013/10/26 22:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Taxpayers will be on the hook for 3 bond ordinances which will total $30 million for Journal Square 1, 11, 111. The ordinances are 13.122, 13.123, 13.124. So in addition to the 35 year abatements, the developer gets a bonus from taxpayers.

How so?

Posted on: 2013/10/26 21:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Taxpayers will be on the hook for 3 bond ordinances which will total $30 million for Journal Square 1, 11, 111. The ordinances are 13.122, 13.123, 13.124. So in addition to the 35 year abatements, the developer gets a bonus from taxpayers.

Posted on: 2013/10/26 20:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JPhurst wrote:
Which is, again, why I am skeptical of these "community benefit agreements" in tax abatements.

On it's face, it makes sense. The Loews is in proximity to the development, and the city wants to develop a signature entertainment venue to go along with the signature development in Journal Square.

But this can get into picking and choosing favorite non-profits. There was a period where Council President Vega was requiring contributions to the Jersey City Museum every time a developer wanted a tax break. Maybe next time it will be the animal shelter, or the Liberty Science Center, or whatever non-profit/community group is in favor with the negotiators at the time.

I'm not categorically against such contributions as part of the agreement, but it strikes me that the best thing to do is to try to negotiate the best financial package for the city, combined with appropriate affordable housing set asides (preferably on the site itself).

Having said that, I am glad FOTL will be getting funds to renovate the theater.

The whole prcoess is FUBAR'ed. Let's call it what it is. Fulop got an agreement to divert money into a pet project.

It was wrong when Healy did it and it is wrong when Fulop does it. The fact is, there should be NO ABATEMENTS, not in downtown JC, not in greenville, anywhere.

The land should be sold for what it is worth. Given that the these paths of land are close to the PATH and to NYC, they are worth a pretty penny.

The developer wants to be a good community citizen? Good, then donate the money the old fashioned way. They should not be forced to do so. Same with this affordable housing shenanigan. The whole "affordable housing for low income individuals" in a luxury high rise is beyond retarded. I didn't know people had a right to live in a luxury condo at a discounted price and enjoy a pool, and a roof deck. beyond ridiculous.

Some might argue that if this was the policy - no abatements, no affordable housing, no "gifts" to pet projects, then areas like greenville would be doomed. My answer is to let places like that wait it's turn! Did Harlem develop before the upper east was saturated? No. Once DTJC is all developed, ares like JSquare, heights, greenvilee will develop.

To enact all of these policies is perverse and breeds favoritism.

I do not want my tax dollars to go to the theater. What if I don't like theater and would rather want a sports arena? Thanks Fulop for deciding this for me.

Posted on: 2013/10/26 19:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

bill wrote:
When taking the ferry became a commute option I did not hesitate to switch. Sure, its 3x as much, but my morning and afternoon quality of life has increased exponentially.

1) Closer to my office!
2) Ferry arrival/departure can be predicted
3) No stress about fitting onto vessel
4) Other people not in my personal space
5) No panhandlers
6) I can sit if I want
7) Orderly boarding/disembarking vs Path free for all
8) Like minded pleasant voyagers, some even smile
9) Don't feel like a migrant laborer
10) Far fewer odors
11) Better looking women than Newark-WTC path line

I took the ferry after 9/11 for as long as the PATH was not running. The best part was that the temperature on the ferry was the same as the temperature I dressed for to walk to the ferry. None of that sudden change from 20 degrees to 80 degrees in the winter and no blasts of a/c in the summer.

Posted on: 2013/10/24 21:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
I would like to take the ferry. But it's so much less convenient and much longer of a commute unless you live very close to the ferry terminal on this side, and work very close to the terminal on the other side.

Posted on: 2013/10/24 19:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
When taking the ferry became a commute option I did not hesitate to switch. Sure, its 3x as much, but my morning and afternoon quality of life has increased exponentially.

1) Closer to my office!
2) Ferry arrival/departure can be predicted
3) No stress about fitting onto vessel
4) Other people not in my personal space
5) No panhandlers
6) I can sit if I want
7) Orderly boarding/disembarking vs Path free for all
8) Like minded pleasant voyagers, some even smile
9) Don't feel like a migrant laborer
10) Far fewer odors
11) Better looking women than Newark-WTC path line

Posted on: 2013/10/24 19:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
There was a time when tax abatements went to recreation fund. The fund was controlled by the council but under the Faulkner Act only the mayor can spend money while the council creates the law. Some members of the council used their funds for luncheon for seniors in their district after they voted on the abatement. I contact Local Finance Board and they removed the money from the city council. No action was taken against the administration during that time period. This happened in the late 1990s.

Posted on: 2013/10/24 16:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Which is, again, why I am skeptical of these "community benefit agreements" in tax abatements.

On it's face, it makes sense. The Loews is in proximity to the development, and the city wants to develop a signature entertainment venue to go along with the signature development in Journal Square.

But this can get into picking and choosing favorite non-profits. There was a period where Council President Vega was requiring contributions to the Jersey City Museum every time a developer wanted a tax break. Maybe next time it will be the animal shelter, or the Liberty Science Center, or whatever non-profit/community group is in favor with the negotiators at the time.

I'm not categorically against such contributions as part of the agreement, but it strikes me that the best thing to do is to try to negotiate the best financial package for the city, combined with appropriate affordable housing set asides (preferably on the site itself).

Having said that, I am glad FOTL will be getting funds to renovate the theater.

Posted on: 2013/10/24 14:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/24 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
I know this thread is about dollars and cents but I could not help but react to the concept of $2.5 million going to Loew's to make it a "first class, world class" place. I am not against making it a first class place. It should be. What I want to highlight is that Jersey City also needs a "first class animal shelter". And I hope that the forward thinking people in the Mayors office and business office think about getting some funding from developers to make not only the City the best mid size city, but also the best animal sheltering city in the tri-state area.

Quote:

Stringer wrote:
Jersey City delays introduction of ordinances for $600 million Journal Square development project

By Michaelangelo Conte/The Jersey Journal
October 23, 2013 at 10:26 PM

Jersey City has delayed introduction of ordinances which would create a 35-year tax abatement and issue a $10 million bond for infrastructure improvements in the area of a proposed $600 million, three-tower residential project that will transform Journal Square.

Tonight the council did adopt an ordinance the city says will revamp and streamline the way it works with filmmakers, making it a "premier destination" for New Jersey film productions and bringing tens of millions of dollars in revenue to local businesses.

?There has been some delay to finalize the ordinance to ensure it was fully prepared for the Local Finance Board,? Jersey City Corporate Council Jeremy Farrell told council members tonight of the three ordinances related the development project which were to have their first reading at tonight?s council meeting.

Farrell said Mayor Steven Fulop?s administration also wants to first ?meet with the Friends of the Loew?s Theatre because the ordinance includes a $2.5 million contribution to the (Landmark) Loew?s (Jersey Theatre) which will be held in trust and we are committed to assuring Loew?s management that it will be a first-class place, a world class place.?

The ordinances related to the development are now to be introduced at a special meeting to be held on Oct. 31 at 9 a.m. in the city council chambers on Grove Street.
The deal is the first market-rate project since Fulop implemented a new policy regarding the tax breaks he says will encourage development in areas outside the already lucrative waterfront.

Construction of the $240 million first tower, which will rise 54 stories and include 540 rental units and ground floor retail space is expected to take two years to complete. Farrell assured council members that the project will remain on track for a December groundbreaking.

The project is slated for a 2.5-acre lot at the northwest corner of Summit and Magnolia avenues. The developer has pledged to make improvements to the sewer lines and sidewalks, as well as creating and maintaining a new public plaza on the eastern side of the Journal Square PATH station. The developer has received $33 million in state tax credits for the first tower.

In addition, the developer will give $2.8 million to build affordable housing in the city. The $10 million in bonds will be issued by the Jersey City Redevelopment Agency, but city officials say the developer will be tasked with paying them back.

Former Jersey City mayoral candidate Abul Malik, Hudson County Journalist Pat O'Melia and a city photographer all expressed concerns that the film production ordinance might have the unintended effect of impacting the work of journalists, independent photographers, and amateur or small scale film and videographers.

?I have to apply 14 days ahead of time if I want to use three cameras? Come on,? O?Melia told council members, adding that he feared police might use the law in a way that would hinder journalism. ?They say the devil?s in the details - there a lot of devils in here. I?m not even sure if this applies indoors or outdoors. There?s a lot of holes in this.?

O?Melia and Malik asked that the filming ordinance be tabled for further consideration, but the council adopted it unanimously tonight, saying it would have no impact on the areas of concern raised and pertains only to large-scale productions.

Councilman Richard Boggiano suggested that those worried by the ordinance should sit down with a Fulop aide and discuss it. He and Councilman Michael Yun said the ordinance should be amended if there is a danger of unintended consequences.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... project.html#incart_river

Posted on: 2013/10/24 14:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
People are way too willing to bend over for developers just because they harbor fantasies of getting a Whole Foods or craft beers out of the deal. Meanwhile they won't be able to flush their toilets, drink the water or get to work in a couple of years.

Posted on: 2013/10/24 13:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/14 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
News flash: rising home values mean nothing until you GIVE UP your home. If you want to remain a resident of downtown Jersey City because you like living there, rising home values are basically irrelevant to your life.

Posted on: 2013/10/24 5:45

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/18 2:46
Group:
Registered Users
I agree that riders in Newport will have harder time after these rentals are built unless they add empty trains after JSQ. Trains already run every 4 min during rush hour and not sure how many more trains they can squeeze in. I used to live at JSQ and work in midtown. During rush hour in the morning 1/2 of the people on the Newport platform did not make it inside the 33rd st train if there was even a 5 min delay on the system. Even without a delay some did not make it depending on what car(cars by path station stairs of JSQ and Grove fill up faster, also 1st 2 cars because most people exit by 33rd st exit to transfer to NYC subway)

Posted on: 2013/10/24 3:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City delays introduction of ordinances for $600 million Journal Square development project

By Michaelangelo Conte/The Jersey Journal
October 23, 2013 at 10:26 PM

Jersey City has delayed introduction of ordinances which would create a 35-year tax abatement and issue a $10 million bond for infrastructure improvements in the area of a proposed $600 million, three-tower residential project that will transform Journal Square.

Tonight the council did adopt an ordinance the city says will revamp and streamline the way it works with filmmakers, making it a "premier destination" for New Jersey film productions and bringing tens of millions of dollars in revenue to local businesses.

?There has been some delay to finalize the ordinance to ensure it was fully prepared for the Local Finance Board,? Jersey City Corporate Council Jeremy Farrell told council members tonight of the three ordinances related the development project which were to have their first reading at tonight?s council meeting.

Farrell said Mayor Steven Fulop?s administration also wants to first ?meet with the Friends of the Loew?s Theatre because the ordinance includes a $2.5 million contribution to the (Landmark) Loew?s (Jersey Theatre) which will be held in trust and we are committed to assuring Loew?s management that it will be a first-class place, a world class place.?

The ordinances related to the development are now to be introduced at a special meeting to be held on Oct. 31 at 9 a.m. in the city council chambers on Grove Street.
The deal is the first market-rate project since Fulop implemented a new policy regarding the tax breaks he says will encourage development in areas outside the already lucrative waterfront.

Construction of the $240 million first tower, which will rise 54 stories and include 540 rental units and ground floor retail space is expected to take two years to complete. Farrell assured council members that the project will remain on track for a December groundbreaking.

The project is slated for a 2.5-acre lot at the northwest corner of Summit and Magnolia avenues. The developer has pledged to make improvements to the sewer lines and sidewalks, as well as creating and maintaining a new public plaza on the eastern side of the Journal Square PATH station. The developer has received $33 million in state tax credits for the first tower.

In addition, the developer will give $2.8 million to build affordable housing in the city. The $10 million in bonds will be issued by the Jersey City Redevelopment Agency, but city officials say the developer will be tasked with paying them back.

Former Jersey City mayoral candidate Abul Malik, Hudson County Journalist Pat O'Melia and a city photographer all expressed concerns that the film production ordinance might have the unintended effect of impacting the work of journalists, independent photographers, and amateur or small scale film and videographers.

?I have to apply 14 days ahead of time if I want to use three cameras? Come on,? O?Melia told council members, adding that he feared police might use the law in a way that would hinder journalism. ?They say the devil?s in the details - there a lot of devils in here. I?m not even sure if this applies indoors or outdoors. There?s a lot of holes in this.?

O?Melia and Malik asked that the filming ordinance be tabled for further consideration, but the council adopted it unanimously tonight, saying it would have no impact on the areas of concern raised and pertains only to large-scale productions.

Councilman Richard Boggiano suggested that those worried by the ordinance should sit down with a Fulop aide and discuss it. He and Councilman Michael Yun said the ordinance should be amended if there is a danger of unintended consequences.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... project.html#incart_river

Posted on: 2013/10/24 3:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
In two years you won't be able to get on a 33rd Street bound train at Pavonia Newport at rush hour. That's a promise.

based on what? show your numbers.

I use a sampling of 25 years of ridership. There's also articles like this one and it's 5 years old. Keep in mind that ridership went down in 2009 and then broke records in each succeeding year. What's the difference from years ago? I can see the local news and weather while watching the chromium ooze from the ceiling of the Newport Station. Been oozing since 1988! Yay!

http://www.nj.com/hobokennow/index.ss ... he_path_get_so_crowd.html

There's this too. No, it's not just me.

http://www.maximumdownforce.com/pathsux/

Posted on: 2013/10/24 1:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
In two years you won't be able to get on a 33rd Street bound train at Pavonia Newport at rush hour. That's a promise.

based on what? show your numbers.

Posted on: 2013/10/24 0:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2013/10/23 22:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
4/15 15:15
Group:
Registered Users
I found that when I adjusted my schedule to get to work 1/2 earlier (on by 7:45 AM) that PATH isn't bad at all. I manage to even get a seat often on the WTC train.

The more people that come into the JSQ area the better the economics will be to expand mass transit. What kills projects is often is the fact that they end up building trains routes that few people ride.

Beyond signal improvements on the PATH (increasing train frequency) you also have potential for more bus service. There is also an unused railroad right-of-way that could extend the HBLR to the JSQ area. That could take the load off people going to Exchange Place and / or allow people to connect to the ferries.

Development and density is not a bad thing for a city. In particular if the development is market rate housing.

Posted on: 2013/10/23 22:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
I guess the point is lost on you. Newark DOES have a Whole Foods. Hoboken does not.

Posted on: 2013/10/23 22:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
It's really not that crowded guys. At least when looking at it in perspective, ie comparing to other local subway lines during rush hour.

My main beef is the sparse service on weekends and after 10pm.

Yup. The rush hours are not nearly as bad as some are making them out to be.

Posted on: 2013/10/23 21:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JPhurst wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:

People here claim they want JC to succeed but are arguing for policies that make us more like Newark and less like Hoboken.

Just think about it...sheesh.

Yeah, I can't stand those people who clamor for Whole Foods either.

True, not like Whole foods does something significant like increase home values..

http://blogs.marketwatch.com/realtime ... -foods-boost-home-prices/

http://blog.fundrise.com/post/45266052344/the-whole-foods-effect

http://www.nwitimes.com/business/loca ... c6-ac9d-5a2fa9970f65.html

We need to keep those discount stores at all costs, makes us less "polished" and "hoboken-like"

Posted on: 2013/10/23 21:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
You don't receive a colonoscopy or give birth five days out of seven. If you work straight for 20, 30, or 40 years and take the PATH to NYC, five of the seven days then a colonoscopy or giving birth is a snap.

Gee! That's a great line I can use on my wife when it comes to discussing the various sacrifices we have made for the well being of our family. What do you think?

Posted on: 2013/10/23 21:19

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017