Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
137 user(s) are online (110 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 137

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: New tax bill
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/12 21:59
From Harsuimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
You don't fix the problem by increasing the budget. The council could have cut the budget, that is their right. Very soon, the city will sell that tax liens. These are folks who are losing their homes because they cannot afford the rising taxes. Waiting does not help them.

Yes Yvonne, but that's my issue. You throw around the words cut the budget, but you don't give any specifics. And you're mad that a council that was in office for a week didn't just go in and start slashing numbers even though they couldn't have begun to know what affects those cuts would have on everything else. It's all intertwined.

Why is it you can't give them the benefit of the doubt for at least a little while? You even said on this site that you voted for Steve Fulop. I assume that you voted for him because you thought he would do the right things in the long run. What exactly were you expecting to happen? Did you think that he would do everything in the manner that you have in your head (that by the way you don't share with us all)?

There doesn't seem to be any logic to it except you are used to complaining and now you have something new to complain about.

If things don't start turning around in the next year, of course you have legitimate gripes. But 4 weeks in? Really?

Posted on: 2013/7/26 23:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
You don't fix the problem by increasing the budget. The council could have cut the budget, that is their right. Very soon, the city will sell that tax liens. These are folks who are losing their homes because they cannot afford the rising taxes. Waiting does not help them.

Posted on: 2013/7/26 21:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Harsuimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
You realize that you're griping about her griping, right?

It's not the griping that bothers me so much. We all gripe from time to time, including me. It's the regularity and the unreasonable quality about it that I take issue with.

It seems every time I open a thread about taxes, or the new mayor, or the city council - anything civic related at this point - there is Yvonne griping about something. There never seems to be anything constructive about it, nor are there any real solutions offered. It's simply rhetoric and complaint after complaint.

And lately I've been feeling the same thing every time I come across it. It's generally, "Give it a rest. We get it already, you're not happy." Maybe she doesn't realize she even does it. Maybe she truly does have the best intentions, but if no one ever points it out, it will simply go on.

And...maybe I'm the only one that is bothered by it.

To be clear, I don't think Steve Fulop or Candice Osbourne (or had it been Dan Levin) are going to fix this mess overnight. They were left a huge mess and it's going to take some time to untangle everything to see exactly what the next steps are. There is something to be said for being reasonable about expectations. And harping (continually) on how crappy everyone is doing, particularly after only 4 weeks is far from reasonable to me. It just seems like an attempt to validate one's complaints.

In a years time, and maybe even less, I will re-evaluate. God knows if I'm not afraid of this thread, I won't have trouble calling out poor performance even if I did vote for these people.

Posted on: 2013/7/26 21:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Have you read the items on lines 312 and 314? I am talking about many non-bidding contracts. If you haven't seen this then, you have no right to comment. These contracts appear in many departments. I videotappped most of the debates. I heard zero based budgeting time and time again. Where is it?

Posted on: 2013/7/26 20:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HCResident wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I have on many occasions, I told the new council, who has the authority to cut the budget, it is now the council's budget (until the vote), not the mayor's budget, to investigate lines 312 and 314, which are contracts in the large budget book. Some of these contracts are non-bidding. They should be eliminated. The main job of the council is the budget. They should be using that power not waiting for the direction of the mayor. By the way, when I give my opinion, I use my name.

Those aren't specifics Yvonne and talk isn't action. I want some specifics, otherwise you're just griping.

And whether I used a word you like or don't like, or I use my name or not, those are simply distractions from the point - that you're simply griping to hear yourself gripe.

You realize that you're griping about her griping, right?

Posted on: 2013/7/26 20:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Harsuimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I have on many occasions, I told the new council, who has the authority to cut the budget, it is now the council's budget (until the vote), not the mayor's budget, to investigate lines 312 and 314, which are contracts in the large budget book. Some of these contracts are non-bidding. They should be eliminated. The main job of the council is the budget. They should be using that power not waiting for the direction of the mayor. By the way, when I give my opinion, I use my name.

Those aren't specifics Yvonne and talk isn't action. I want some specifics, otherwise you're just griping.

And whether I used a word you like or don't like, or I use my name or not, those are simply distractions from the point - that you're simply griping to hear yourself gripe.

Posted on: 2013/7/26 19:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/7/26 19:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Harsuimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Yes, I do speak what is on my mind, but neither do I curse or use inflaming language to get my point across.

The fact that some people find certain words offensive (and let's be perfectly clear, I wasn't calling you a name) and choose not to use them does not make constant whining any more pleasant or useful.

And I stand by my original point, it's not your opinions that bother me so much, it's the need to voice a variation of the same negative thing over and over, just because one can.

And lastly, if you're so unhappy about the way things are run in this city, and anyone who is a regular on this site and at council meetings knows darn well you are, why don't you step up to the plate and run for office? Don't simply scream about what's wrong all of the time, get in there and work for the solutions.

Honestly, I would love to hear how you would clean up the mess that is Jersey City government quickly and efficiently. And I don't just mean broad talking points that ultimately mean nothing, let's hear the specifics.

Posted on: 2013/7/26 18:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
4/15 15:15
Group:
Registered Users
I will give Fulop and the new council a pass until the next budget, after they have had time to push through reforms. Its too late to do much about the current budget.

The proposed review JC's energy costs looks interesting, because that is what my employer does. I wonder if my boss will be getting call at some point?

Posted on: 2013/7/26 17:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
You don't fix it by increasing the spending. Yes, I do speak what is on my mind, but neither do I curse or use inflaming language to get my point across. By the way, I was reminded by Candice Osborne was at the 2009 rally against Healy tax increase. This rally was actually started by Esther Wintner, she did the advertising. 2009 taxes are lowered than taxes today. Councilperson Osborne voted for the new taxes in the budget. You can speak against taxes increasing in 2009 but vote yes in 2013. The council could have cut the budget.

Posted on: 2013/7/26 17:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Harsuimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I just received my tax bill, while the city says the average bill will be $280.00 my increase in over $350.00. 95% is Healy but 5% is Fulop. I will be watching spending.

For God's sake Yvonne. We get it, over and over and over we get. Fulop is, surprise, surprise, a politician and doesn't walk on water. And how dare he, and the new council, not get everything fixed to your liking in 4 or so weeks.

But do you have to b*tch about it every single chance you get? Nearly every post you have on here seems to be more from a negative place than not. Are you ever happy about anything?

Don't get me wrong, you have the right to think and feel what you want. And you have a constitutional right to express it. But I have the same rights to express my thoughts and feelings about what others put out into the world.

And what I think and feel in this instance is that for as much good as you probably have done for this city, it gets a little tiring to hear (read) you whine constantly. Give it a rest from time to time. The chemicals our bodies produce when we're angry aren't good for us when there're constantly present in our bodies anyway.

Posted on: 2013/7/26 17:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Actually I sold my home, this is a condo in Journal Square. Besides taxes are services, tax abated will not go up, rent-control is fixed by the board, and affordable housing will not see an increase and public housing hasn't paid anything since the 1960s. The problem is - a fixed group only sees an increase.

Posted on: 2013/7/26 17:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Is your home worth more than the average home owner in JC? Mostly likely yes.

Posted on: 2013/7/26 17:04

New tax bill
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I just received my tax bill, while the city says the average bill will be $280.00 my increase in over $350.00. 95% is Healy but 5% is Fulop. I will be watching spending.

Posted on: 2013/7/26 17:01

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017