Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
119 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 119

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Tiger Mart / Exxon Gas Station - Credit Card Skimming
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/8/24 21:12
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned
This is awful.

About four years ago I started paying for gas strictly with cash. I know it can seem inconvenient sometimes but it's become second nature to me. I just make sure to get cash back with a purchase here and there. Easy to put a few bucks in the wallet for when I need to fill up.

Posted on: 2018/3/16 1:43

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/18 2:46
Group:
Registered Users
Been buying at BP on 14th St for years. No issues and good local prices for a big brand. Buy at costco when shopping there(don't have to be a member by the way. One at Teterboro even has diesel).

Posted on: 2018/3/15 3:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/7 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
@ Thirds Street, great advice, thanks.
I didn?t think that chips were easily replicated but berhaps the merchants were my stolen card was used have not implemented them? The Finnish Line and Game Stop over at the mall were hit up for $350/each.

If my understanding is correct: merchants who lack a chip are responsible for the loss.

I?ve been prompted for identification for less expensive purchases and have always been thankful when asked. Credit card fraud causes all of us to pay more than necessary.

I?d prefer to pump my own gas and monitor my card?s placement at all times. But hey, let?s face it...probably not an option in NJ anytime soon.

Posted on: 2018/3/15 2:33

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/29 21:36
Group:
Registered Users
Sorry to hear about. I had a string of these kind of skimming incidents about three years ago.

If Exxon is where you get your gas always, best way to pay them to download their speedpass app and do it through your phone. You can activate the pump through the app and pay right through the phone. It's really the only reason why I actually fill up at Exxon.

Posted on: 2018/3/15 0:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
I got hit twice in my life?.lucky I guess.

I used to pay for my gas with major credit cards. I swear I got skimmed or something at the Exxon up on Danforth and JFK when paying for gas. I recall the attendant had an open extra bulky winter coat on and turned his back to me?maybe he had a reader inside??? After that I enrolled and got an ExxonMobil Smart Card. That is all I use for gas purchases now. Of course only at Exxon.

I also feel I got skimmed or something at a Northern NJ Applebee?s. When the waitress came with my bill she said you can give me your credit card or use the brand new table top wireless payment box. Well I foolishly used it. A few days later the credit card company called me about approving purchases. Turns out a 1000 dollars of purchases were on my card from stores all over Northern NJ. Had to be that Applebee?s probably some dude sitting at another table hacking the wireless.

Posted on: 2018/3/14 18:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Open air places like stations and ATMs are the most likely place for skimmers, but when you don't insert the card yourself like at a gas station it's hard to protect yourself by being observant. The attendants on the other hand should know if a card reader looks odd.

Since chips are much harder to skim, maybe it's time to pressure businesses to finally update their equipment, it's years late.

Posted on: 2018/3/14 17:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jc_dweller wrote:
oh dear. I use that station most frequently. I will have to think twice.

Yes, I do too - thinking the same thing. The guy behind the counter in the convenience store (short, slightly heavy) has been there forever - he's a good egg - I hope he's not involved.

Posted on: 2018/3/14 14:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
oh dear. I use that station most frequently. I will have to think twice.

Posted on: 2018/3/14 14:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Yes, that's the one. I always pay at the pump. Tried contacting management there but no one ever picks up the phone. We frequently fill up at either the gas station near JC Medical on Montgomery or the one on 18th Street, near Hoboken. While 18th St. has more pumps and is efficiently layed out, I'm done with it. Twice within a year is unforgivable.

Posted on: 2018/3/14 1:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HamiltonParker wrote:
For the 2nd time this year my credit card has been skimmed and Chase noted that in both instances the Tiger Mart was the last stop before the thief went on a shopping spree. Coincidence? I'm not inclined to think so.

Oh jeez, is that the station with the Dunkin' Donuts? Did you pay inside or at the pump?

Posted on: 2018/3/13 23:17

Tiger Mart / Exxon Gas Station - Credit Card Skimming
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
For the 2nd time this year my credit card has been skimmed and Chase noted that in both instances the Tiger Mart was the last stop before the thief went on a shopping spree. Coincidence? I'm not inclined to think so.

Posted on: 2018/3/13 22:23

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017