Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
46 user(s) are online (36 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 1
Guests: 45

Strawhat, more...

Browsing this Thread:  Strawhat    3 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Teacher Protests Disturbing Neighborhood
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

thomash844 wrote:
I have been a JC resident and invested in Jersey City long before it was hip, happening or cool. I have also worked as a Jersey City public school teacher for 12 years, about half the time I’ve lived here. I am still at a salary on which it is increasingly difficult to continue living here. My 2018 workload is compensated with a 2009 paycheck, due to the extremely harsh increases in health benefit premiums, and with each new contract being set back on the steps of the pay scale. I have dedicated the last 12 years for the good of the children of this city. I was Teacher Of the Year in my school in 2014. At this point I feel WHAT THE HELL DO I HAVE TO LOSE. I, and others, are picketing so people like the haters on here will know we have a valid complaint. I don’t want to strike but I WILL if I’m pushed to it. With my real estate taxes about to explode and premiums skyrocketing every year what the hell am I supposed to do ? Take on ANOTHER side job?? (I already have THREE: i work before school, after school and on Saturdays). Don’t tell me to go find something that pays better—- pay me better! Don’t tell me to “find a job I’m happier with,” because I happen to love my job.

Since 2006 until 2017, the nation's wages have not gone up, education is not the exception. People depended on Social Security have not have an increase. People depended on interests from banks have seen income go down. I watched an interview after Nancy Pelosi said the $1,000 bonus were crumbs. The person they interviewed in a diner said he did not have an increase since 2008 and was lucky to have a job. I will repeat it again, one third of Jersey City do not pay school taxes. The school unions should fight against this. The new tax abatement program gives 10% to the schools but that is future abatements. The old agreements will continue to give nothing but their children still goes to the school system.

Posted on: 2/7 13:07
Print Top

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I have been a JC resident and invested in Jersey City long before it was hip, happening or cool. I have also worked as a Jersey City public school teacher for 12 years, about half the time I’ve lived here. I am still at a salary on which it is increasingly difficult to continue living here. My 2018 workload is compensated with a 2009 paycheck, due to the extremely harsh increases in health benefit premiums, and with each new contract being set back on the steps of the pay scale. I have dedicated the last 12 years for the good of the children of this city. I was Teacher Of the Year in my school in 2014. At this point I feel WHAT THE HELL DO I HAVE TO LOSE. I, and others, are picketing so people like the haters on here will know we have a valid complaint. I don’t want to strike but I WILL if I’m pushed to it. With my real estate taxes about to explode and premiums skyrocketing every year what the hell am I supposed to do ? Take on ANOTHER side job?? (I already have THREE: i work before school, after school and on Saturdays). Don’t tell me to go find something that pays better—- pay me better! Don’t tell me to “find a job I’m happier with,” because I happen to love my job.

Posted on: 2/6 20:16
Print Top

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
No contract for 2017-2018 and yet only in the last ten days have teachers stood in front of schools to demand a fair contract (did you know that the majority of them earn less than they did six years ago ?) At 8 am they go back in and prepare to teach their students. Without a contract, as they have done since the beginning of the school year !

Posted on: 2/6 11:04
Print Top

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
From The Heights!
Group:
Registered Users
Please provide the details of this sweet contract offer...

Posted on: 2/6 8:10
Print Top

Hide User information
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Wow can you post it here?

Posted on: 2/5 20:58
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Maybe they should quit and get a job they'd be happier with. They've had a sweet contract offer dangling in front of them forever.

Posted on: 2/5 19:36
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From the village
Group:
Registered Users
Wow protesting is disruptive? It’s almost like they want to draw attention to a certain issue. Maybe look into what they are protesting before complaining??

Posted on: 2/5 18:45
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Those without tax abatements are paying into the system. In 2005, taxpayers gave the local school system around $72 million, it is now in the range of $116 million. Those families that have children in tax abated buildings are not paying their fair share which is nearly a third of the city. Even with the new proposal of ten percent of tax abatements going to the public schools, that is only new tax abatement agreements. The old ones still pay nothing. If you are in favor of the contract, make sure your building is paying school taxes and do not push your obligations off on others.

Posted on: 2/5 18:36
Print Top

Re: Support Your Teachers
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
From Marion
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCityTeach wrote:
Join the fight for a fair contract. Stop taking videos and complaining and go down and protest with your teachers. They'll appreciate it. Maybe instead of calling the cops on them you could come down from your ivory towers of your abated buildings and speak with them.

AMEN!

I remember when it was just crying about sirens on here. Now we're gonna cuss those whom mold the future for demanding a fair contract like they deserve.

Posted on: 2/5 17:29
Print Top

Hide User information
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Nope not a teacher in JC at all. Support them 100% though. Time for the Jersey City to start paying for your schools. downtown residents in particular.

Posted on: 2/5 17:20
Print Top

Hide User information
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City residents barely pay for the school system. Not sure what you're feeding.

Posted on: 2/5 17:18
Print Top

Hide User information
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
No. Actually don't know who that is?

Posted on: 2/5 17:17
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCityTeach wrote:
Join the fight for a fair contract. Stop taking videos and complaining and go down and protest with your teachers. They'll appreciate it. Maybe instead of calling the cops on them you could come down from your ivory towers of your abated buildings and speak with them.

Hope you are not a spokesperson for the union because you won't garner much public support with your douchey comments.

Posted on: 2/5 17:14
Print Top

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Have to assume JCityTeach is none other than Ron Greco

Posted on: 2/5 14:25
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Agreed. Biting the hand that feeds you is never a winning strategy.

Posted on: 2/5 13:42
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
This is a bad response.

Posted on: 2/5 13:30
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Besides calling the police daily...any other suggestions to make them move or stop? There's literally nothing my neighbors and I can do about their contracts so it seems silly to disrupt our lives. Would be happy to write to school board.

If every resident called the school board (elected officials, I might remind you) to demand contracts, methinks the protests would stop sooner than later. So, yes you can do something, and yes that's the point of their behavior.

Posted on: 2/5 13:21
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
you do realize that the point of a protest is to be disruptive?

Posted on: 2/5 13:19
Print Top

Support Your Teachers

Hide User information
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2/5 13:19
Print Top

Hide User information
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
You should contact the Mayor, Superintendent and school board and tell them to settle the contract. Doesn't seem like this is going to stop anytime soon.

Posted on: 2/5 13:14
Print Top

Hide User information
From Jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Call their superintendent at 2019156000 and ask her to give them a fair contract.

Posted on: 2/5 13:10
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I think you're missing the point of protesting. If this was happening in front of my house I'd be supportive.

Posted on: 2/5 12:45
Print Top

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
To my knowledge, no. They're literally in the street, so I can't imagine the police is OK with that.

Just spoke with the union president - next step is superintendent and mayor's office.

Posted on: 2/5 12:10
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Do they have a permit from the police? I have video protests and organizers always tell me they must get a permit.

Posted on: 2/5 11:54
Print Top

Teacher Protests Disturbing Neighborhood

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Live across the street from Conwell Middle School (Bright & Varick in downtown) and each morning for the past 3 weeks, teachers have been outside protesting. Loudly.

While I respect their right to assemble and of course, they should have contracts - they're outside, in a residential neighborhood, early in the morning with bullhorns, drums, shouting, amplified music and cars honking constantly from 7-8 am.

I've called the police on more than one occasion, as have my other neighbors. They either don't arrive in time to take action or are disinterested in doing anything.

Anyone else experiencing this in the same neighborhood? Near other local schools?

Besides calling the police daily...any other suggestions to make them move or stop? There's literally nothing my neighbors and I can do about their contracts so it seems silly to disrupt our lives. Would be happy to write to school board.

Posted on: 2/5 11:50
Print Top

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017