Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
54 user(s) are online (47 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 54

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Faster Light Rail Service?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Lightrail is back in service today.

Posted on: 2016/1/24 19:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/20 23:45
From gone
Group:
Registered Users
Agree they're usually on time and following the schedule helps, except on the NWK-WTC line during weekend construction.

With the modified weekend schedule on the NWK-WTC line, you have to plan not just on the reduced frequency of service, but also the trip takes much, much longer in the westbound direction. On a typical weekday, you can travel from Grove Street to Newark in about 15 minutes. It?s about double that on the weekends. Westbound trains stop at JSQ for about 10 minutes waiting for an eastbound train to pass from Harrison to JSQ. Once the eastbound train passes, the westbound train crawls over the Hackensack River bridge and through the PATH maintenance facility in Kearny before reaching Harrison. So in addition to the once-every-20-minutes departure, westbound train trips take about 15-20 minutes longer than normal to reach Newark. On three of the past four weekends I?ve had to take PATH to Newark and the trip each time has been painfully long for these reasons. So if you?re planning on connecting to NJT or Amtrak at Newark, build in A LOT of extra time in your schedule (or just use Uber to get to Nwk).

Posted on: 2015/11/20 16:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
Are those schedules reliable for evenings/weekends? I always just go down and wait for the PATH, but if I can avoid a 15 minute wait underground, that would be great.

As much as everyone loves to hate on the PATH, they do have one really positive plus, and that's their published schedules. Outside of the weekends wackiness, and the on going issue of delays related to "police activity" and "signal problems", I would say that the PATH runs remarkably on time. I use the timetables as a reference whenever I am out in the city at night, and very rarely have I found myself having to wait for a train past its scheduled arrival time. For weekends, I definitely arrive at the train station a few minutes early (say, two to three minutes) as the trains sometimes run fast really early in the morning (around 6 AM to 8 AM) and other times I have to wait because of unexpected/unexplained delays.

Posted on: 2015/11/18 17:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users
Are those schedules reliable for evenings/weekends? I always just go down and wait for the PATH, but if I can avoid a 15 minute wait underground, that would be great.

Posted on: 2015/11/18 16:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

stuff wrote:
Hi! I was waiting about 9:10 - 9:15. Also, yes, during rush hour I hate to see the Bayonne Flyer coming...it seems to run more regularly than the 8th Street one too. I won't be able to make the Thursday night meeting, although I'd really like to.

Thanks for letting me know about the app and timetables!

For the benefit of everyone, here are direct links to both timetables:

PATH Timetable (effective 4/26/2015)
HBLR Timetable (effective 10/1/2015)

Posted on: 2015/11/18 14:16

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/19 18:56
From Greenville
Group:
Registered Users
Hi! I was waiting about 9:10 - 9:15. Also, yes, during rush hour I hate to see the Bayonne Flyer coming...it seems to run more regularly than the 8th Street one too. I won't be able to make the Thursday night meeting, although I'd really like to.

Thanks for letting me know about the app and timetables!

Posted on: 2015/11/18 13:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Hi Stuff!

You don't mention a time when you were waiting... Was it 8 PM? 11 PM? Also the Bayonne flyer has been an annoyance for us GV residents for some time, and we have been trying to get less flyers and more local service... There is a community meeting coming up, and I believe the rail will be discussed.

Do have the NJT Light app? This may help and ease the waiting, with this app. I have not waited more than 10 min due to this app
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/njt-li ... sit-rail/id401291643?mt=8

I would also add that a good idea is to download the PDF versions of the light rail and PATH timetables to your phone. I keep current versions of both on my iPhone and it is tremendously helpful when trying to plan and coordinate trips, particularly when outside of cell signal reception. The light rail is great in some regards, but the late night schedules are severely lacking.

Posted on: 2015/11/17 17:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Hi Stuff!

You don't mention a time when you were waiting... Was it 8 PM? 11 PM? Also the Bayonne flyer has been an annoyance for us GV residents for some time, and we have been trying to get less flyers and more local service... There is a community meeting coming up, and I believe the rail will be discussed.

Do have the NJT Light app? This may help and ease the waiting, with this app. I have not waited more than 10 min due to this app
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/njt-li ... sit-rail/id401291643?mt=8

Posted on: 2015/11/17 12:44

Faster Light Rail Service?

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/19 18:56
From Greenville
Group:
Registered Users
It took me an hour and 15 minutes to get home tonight on the path and light rail. It normally takes me about 35 minutes during rush hour. The PATH was fine, but I waited 23 minutes for an light rail.

I noticed the wait was about 20 minutes in between trains for all directions. Why don't they add another train for each line to cut everyone's wait time down to 10 minutes? Has there been any push to increase service on the light rail? I did a search on this forum and on google but couldn't find anything.

During rush hour, the light rail is fine, but I wish they would up the service after rush hour and on weekends. I'm new to using the light rail so this is frustrating, especially after moving from Brooklyn

Posted on: 2015/11/17 3:39

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017