Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
123 user(s) are online (112 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 123

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: JC Heights neighborhoods
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 23:09
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jmiz wrote:
Currently THE most underrated attraction in the Heights is the Live at the Lumberyard shows. Last one for the season is tomorrow. Check out Palisade Lumber at 7pm tomorrow (Friday).

Brown bag your drinks and get some tacos at the food trucks outside

+10. I want to say 1000 but shhhhhhh ;)

Posted on: 2015/9/8 4:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/25 7:33
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Chris_NJ wrote:
I live in the Heights (just west of JFK) and checked out the music at the lumber yard on Palisades last night. The music itself was ok but the large crowd of people was definitely a sign that there has been some demographic changes in that part of the heights in the past couple years. The thought that I had while walking away is that somebody in the very near future ought to open some type of beer garden in the heights (not sure how it would jive with the residential neighborhood but the demand seems like it would be there).

I have noticed changes in area around my house (pretty much 1 mile due west of the lumberyard event with more proximity to JSQ) but it is the Indian population that seems to have increased the most. It is hard to say what impact this has on local business/neighborhood but I can't help but notice there are several more vacant bodegas recently. Could this be because spendthrift Indian population generally buy most of their groceries etc around Newark ave rather then at local bodegas?

I agree. It has transformed amazingly over the past few years. I guess it was bound to happen once people caught on how easy it is to get to midtown from there. The skyline views are excellent if you live on an upper floor. What also helps a lot is all of the businesses that are now around the lite rail tracks in Hoboken. I guess it doesn't hurt that the mayor lives around there now, too, which suggests more of a police presence.

Posted on: 2015/9/8 1:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Chris_NJ wrote:
I live in the Heights (just west of JFK) and checked out the music at the lumber yard on Palisades last night. The music itself was ok but the large crowd of people was definitely a sign that there has been some demographic changes in that part of the heights in the past couple years. The thought that I had while walking away is that somebody in the very near future ought to open some type of beer garden in the heights (not sure how it would jive with the residential neighborhood but the demand seems like it would be there).

I have noticed changes in area around my house (pretty much 1 mile due west of the lumberyard event with more proximity to JSQ) but it is the Indian population that seems to have increased the most. It is hard to say what impact this has on local business/neighborhood but I can't help but notice there are several more vacant bodegas recently. Could this be because spendthrift Indian population generally buy most of their groceries etc around Newark ave rather then at local bodegas?
are you sure you live in the jc heights, and not north Bergen heights? praise jesus!

Posted on: 2015/9/8 0:02

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/3/27 20:21
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/9/5 12:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jmiz wrote:
Currently THE most underrated attraction in the Heights is the Live at the Lumberyard shows. Last one for the season is tomorrow. Check out Palisade Lumber at 7pm tomorrow (Friday).

Gonna try and make it for The Penniless Loafers. Saw them at Groove on Grove and thought them awesome. Ska & reggae.

Posted on: 2015/9/4 2:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/22 1:46
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/9/3 22:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Other up and coming areas to consider are around Pershing Field Park and between the Reservoir and Palisade. As is the rule in the Heights except for Ogden, niceness is block by block. Check out Sherman Place or Reservoir Ave just west of Palisade to see some stunning blocks.

Keep in mind that the JS PATH is ~20 min walking distance from both these areas of the southern Heights.

Posted on: 2015/9/3 14:53

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/5/25 15:19
Group:
Registered Users
Thank you all for the info! I am excited to start exploring these suggestions and see if i can find a new home. I LOVE downtown but we need some space, and a garage, and a yard!

Posted on: 2015/9/3 13:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
The east side of the Heights is def more hipster especially around Palisade and Ogden avenues. There are great little eateries scattered around such as Rizzo's, Renato's, and the Lincoln Inn and also a tea shop /vegan bakery. There are two farmer's markets Saturday in Mosquito Park, and Sundays in Riverview Park with yoga, and music along with specialty items. For a tranquil time check out The Reservoir for hiking and fishing. The Western Slope west of Kennedy is mostly residential and quiet with one and two family homes. The area is spread out so many attractions and amenities are not on top of each other. I would attend some block association meetings to get a feel of the area as well as walking around to gain an insight on we have to offer. And did I mention we have two bicycle shops too !

Posted on: 2015/9/3 2:56
Get on your bikes and ride !

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/2/27 22:17
Group:
Registered Users
I don't really know what the name of our part of the heights is (close to the 9th Street light rail and just below Union City), but we like it better all the time. We have Modcup over by Riverview Park, and some newcomer bar/restaurants (The Fox and Crow and the newly renovated Corkscrew) are nice additions. The streets are much livelier than they were when we moved here, and we are fortunate to have a backyard.

Posted on: 2015/9/3 1:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/2 21:22
Group:
Registered Users
You should also consider over by Lincoln park/mcgingly sq. I moved up here in may and love it! Lots of great old houses and more and more stuff is popping up. I bought a house for less than I sold my condo. I have a driveway and a backyard. Trains are super easy bc I can walk 15-20 minutes, bike 8 minutes or take a bus to jsq from Kennedy, west side, or Bergen. Since I don't have to walk through a building if I take my bike to jsq it's only 35-40 minutes to Chelsea. Same commute I had downtown.

Posted on: 2015/9/3 1:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/9/3 0:52

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/29 21:11
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
The Heights is a pretty big chunk of Jersey City and it definitely has different neighborhoods.

There's the Riverview neighbor, centered around Ogden (where Fulop just bought). Great access to Hoboken. Great Manhattan views. The lightrail to the PATH.

There's the Western Slope, the streets between Kennedy + the 1 and 9. Settled, traditional Jersey City.

There's the oldtime upscale Sherman Place (with some gorgeous Victorians) and also a few blocks of Summit and some very nice houses on a few of the surrounding blocks. Take the jitneys on Kennedy to Port Authority.

There are still other neighborhoods but those are the 3 I know

Posted on: 2015/9/2 22:57

JC Heights neighborhoods
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/5/25 15:19
Group:
Registered Users
Hi all,

I live in downtown and love the bars, restaurants, parks and everything else. I am constantly wondering what other great areas of JC are out there that I am missing. Are there different hoods in the heights? Maybe areas that are family oriented, areas that are more "hipster" like with cool bars and good eats? If a young couple was looking to move to the heights what section would you recommend?

Posted on: 2015/9/2 21:52

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017