Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
120 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 120

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Ground broken at 33 Park in Liberty Harbor
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JGJDNYCJC wrote:
I think you're splitting hairs over politi-speak. That's like trying to look for pearls of wisdom over realtor-speak.

I think you're right, but a politician fulfilling the stereotype may not be a good enough reason to give him or her a free pass.

Posted on: 2015/5/14 17:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

margel wrote:
Frank_M wrote:
Quote:

?Not true,? isn?t an answer to a question.

Not true.

True... but I didn't ask a true or false question.

Posted on: 2015/5/14 17:01

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/3 19:43
Group:
Registered Users
Frank_M wrote:
Quote:

Not true.

Posted on: 2015/5/14 16:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/16 11:22
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
Quote:

JGJDNYCJC wrote:
Not true. Construction jobs attract folks from far and near -- realtors, builders, electricians, plumbers, truckers, et al. Buildings require ongoing maintenance staff, many of whom are local. Again that's doorpeople, security staff, cleaners, electricians, plumbers, repair work, designers, et al. You also attract buyers/renters, which in turns generates demand for teachers, firemen, police officers, tutors, nannies, doctors. This is basic economics.

Of course development is financially beneficial to many people, myself included since I work in design and construction, but when the Mayor says that he ?couldn?t be more proud of? of job creation in Jersey City in process of glad-handing a developer, I have to wonder where the hyperbole is coming from. After all, reports of the initial proposal indicated that this ~$140 million project will directly create twenty permanent jobs.

I think you're splitting hairs over politi-speak. That's like trying to look for pearls of wisdom over realtor-speak.

Posted on: 2015/5/14 16:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JGJDNYCJC wrote:
Not true. Construction jobs attract folks from far and near -- realtors, builders, electricians, plumbers, truckers, et al. Buildings require ongoing maintenance staff, many of whom are local. Again that's doorpeople, security staff, cleaners, electricians, plumbers, repair work, designers, et al. You also attract buyers/renters, which in turns generates demand for teachers, firemen, police officers, tutors, nannies, doctors. This is basic economics.

Of course development is financially beneficial to many people, myself included since I work in design and construction, but when the Mayor says that he ?couldn?t be more proud of? of job creation in Jersey City in process of glad-handing a developer, I have to wonder where the hyperbole is coming from. After all, reports of the initial proposal indicated that this ~$140 million project will directly create twenty permanent jobs.

Posted on: 2015/5/14 15:23

Re: 33 Park Avenue, Two 44-Story Towers Coming to Jersey City
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
It doesn't make any sense, and neither does the grid itself, which is staggered instead of having streets go through. Jersey City should just say, "no, you cannot do this crazy shit".

Posted on: 2015/5/14 15:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
And to make it even more loony, why 7th Street??! Where is 1st-6th Streets? It's like a 3 year old kid named these streets completely randomly.

I took a look at the map and I think there WILL be streets 2nd - 6th. Take a look here: Marvel Architects. There are a few pictures that you can cycle through and two of them show the streetscape, as currently planned. If you start at Jersey Avenue - First Street, and you can count the streets at the bottom of the bird's eye view map, you will see that Second through Seventh would fit neatly there, and then you reach Marin Blvd. I am surprised they didn't rename that, as well. They could call it Marin Blvd - Eighth Street. CRAZY.

Posted on: 2015/5/14 14:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
And to make it even more loony, why 7th Street??! Where is 1st-6th Streets? It's like a 3 year old kid named these streets completely randomly.

Actually, crazily enough, they DO have a 1st Street (Jersey Avenue - First Street! I shit you not. That's the name, as of right now) and I believe there is a Second Street, as well. I need to look at the map again. But, as far as I could tell, no other numerical streets. They do have "letter" avenues (which are no different/wider than streets...) and they actually have a blurb on their website proclaiming the amount of effort and thought that went into the classification, hierarchy and naming of the roads in the development!! :o

Posted on: 2015/5/14 14:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/5/14 13:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
My goodness, the street naming in this area is absolutely bonkers. Having two 7th Streets in what is basically the same neighborhood is completely batshit absurd. Also, it should not be allowed to have Barrow Street renamed on that stretch to the suburban office park-sounding "Liberty View Drive". Seriously, what is that.

Posted on: 2015/5/14 13:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I hate to agree with Yvonne, but one thing that baffles me is that the city has allowed and adopted a streetscape plan that calls for street names already in use, less than two miles away. Why should downtown have TWO Seventh Streets?

Posted on: 2015/5/14 13:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JGJDNYCJC wrote:
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:

I can appreciate that large scale residential projects benefit developers, investors, financiers, planners, designers, contractors, and equipment/material manufacturers and vendors?a lot of people who already have jobs, very few of which are based in Jersey City?but can anyone help me understand what permanent, local jobs that are worthy of so much pride are created by them?

I was going to say something similar, but you did so much more clearly. I think people only look at the immediate/smaller picture. But, long term, all this development IS good. Lots of new jobs get generated, and others get improved.

Posted on: 2015/5/14 13:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/16 11:22
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:

I can appreciate that large scale residential projects benefit developers, investors, financiers, planners, designers, contractors, and equipment/material manufacturers and vendors?a lot of people who already have jobs, very few of which are based in Jersey City?but can anyone help me understand what permanent, local jobs that are worthy of so much pride are created by them?

Posted on: 2015/5/14 13:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Article linked.

From the article:
"We?d like to congratulate Fisher Development, which has built some of the premier buildings in Jersey City," Mayor Fulop said. "This is another step in Jersey City leading the state of New Jersey in job creation, which we couldn?t be more proud about. We hope that Fisher Development will build here for many more years in future developments and the door is open for that."

Posted on: 2015/5/14 12:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
I'm not certain, but I THINK that rendering is supposed to be from the vantage point of Liberty State Park, across the canal and to the south from the tower.

Posted on: 2015/5/14 4:30

Ground broken at 33 Park in Liberty Harbor
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users
Article linked.

What tickled me is the fact that in the "artist rendering", the building is surrounded by greenery, as if it's right next to a big park. Only if that's true!

Posted on: 2015/5/14 3:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
I'm confused about the LH doesn't use the existing grid talk.

Coming in from the north Barrow becomes Liberty View (same grid). Grove ran into the boys club, so they didn't exactly have a choice (and I think it will go through once they finish the 235 Grand development) , there is no grid south of the light rail as it is bounded by the inlet to the East.

I guess there is that street that parallels the light rail that doesn't go through.

Posted on: 2015/2/20 19:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/27 19:59
From journal square
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
That link is educational. What strikes me is Liberty Harbor does not continue the street grid. With a blank canvas, why not extend the existing street grid into the development? It makes no sense to avoid doing that. Is there some sort of advantage to not doing that?

I think the advantage is you dont have to use any brain power and you can hire interns who have no business designing a city grid which is cheaper perhaps. Im glad they are utilizing the land and the development is much better than Newport, but still some missed opportunity here to integrate the street grid and make this a cleaner, more easy to navigate development.

Posted on: 2015/2/20 18:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
The new roads in LHN north are private until they are deeded to the city. They can name the streets how they like, and the city only has control when they take control of the property. Newport is the same way. They have several streets that have been deeded over to the city such as Newport Parkway. These are now city roads. However, it seems that Lefrak has realized that by giving over the streets to the city, they lose some control and can't charge for parking meters. This is why there are maybe two dozen parking spaces on Newport Parkway with resident zone permits / 2 hour limits and the other street parking there is metered. Also note the "you are entering a private street at the corner of Newport Parkway and River Drive.

Posted on: 2015/2/20 5:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Alice to the Cheshire Cat: "Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here? Cheshire Cat: That depends on where you want get to. Alice: I don't much care. Cheshire Cat: Then it doesn't matter which way you go." And so that's pretty much the way Jersey City is evolving; into a place that is all things at once and nothing at once for all. Decipher that.

Posted on: 2015/2/20 2:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
The link is full of language that relates to nothing in the real world. Who proof read this? Graph 2: " were also be identified", Graph 4: "were be linked to the planning of pedestrian routes". Silly stuff.

This is so fresh... coming from you it is almost downright unbelievable. Right here on this board, you have (mistakenly) argued that WW11 was an appropriate way to refer to the Second World War, commonly referred to as WWII. And yet, when shown otherwise, you kept arguing. Not to mention that your posts are often akin to the ramblings of a person not quite in touch with reality, hard to understand and with a logic that is very hard to follow.

Posted on: 2015/2/19 22:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
The one big problem is that the citys agencies especially the first responder groups are not aware of these 'new' street names.

It is the responsibility of the city to control/manage/approve the naming of streets and to then distribute that information to the appropriate divisions.

Don't get it twisted. That unfortunate incident wasn't that the first responders were not aware of Grand St and Grant Avenue. They were simply dispatched to the wrong location.

Posted on: 2015/2/19 22:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Voyeur wrote:
Also, check out the stupid street names here: Avenue B, Avenue G and inexplicably, there is a Second Street. Also, why is Jersey Avenue hyphenated as "Jersey Avenue - First Street"? Are these developers planning to rename the entire streetscape downtown?

It can't possibly be that they are "reusing" existing street names. It wouldn't make sense to have a Second St and First St in the LHN development when two such streets already exists in DTJC. I have to assume those were used as placeholders in the images displayed on that site.

Quote:

If they had their way, the whole of JC would be lumbered with the god awful Soho West soubriquet...

That Soho West thing is the most ridiculous RE-speak I have seen around this area. I wonder how many people at Cast Iron Lofts actually refer to their "area" with that name.

Posted on: 2015/2/19 22:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The link is full of language that relates to nothing in the real world. Who proof read this? Graph 2: " were also be identified", Graph 4: "were be linked to the planning of pedestrian routes". Silly stuff.

Posted on: 2015/2/19 20:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah, I kind of feel like a developer has no business naming a city street anyway....?? Weird.

Posted on: 2015/2/19 20:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
That link is educational. What strikes me is Liberty Harbor does not continue the street grid. With a blank canvas, why not extend the existing street grid into the development? It makes no sense to avoid doing that. Is there some sort of advantage to not doing that?
I think the city should force the developer to use existing street names where practical. having another street with first street is very confusing.

Posted on: 2015/2/19 20:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/2/19 19:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Street names are a "hot button" issue ever since the tragic fire on Grant Avenue that was confused with a Grand Street address. There is no St. Peters Street in Jersey City. Councilwoman Osborne has expressed deep concern for these street namings by developers and I trust she will follow through on this issue. The one big problem is that the citys agencies especially the first responder groups are not aware of these 'new' street names.

Posted on: 2015/2/19 19:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/12 17:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JGJDNYCJC wrote:
It'll be next to 18 Park, either across (and thus South) from it, or next (and thus West) to it. I suspect St. Peter's street is one of the as yet unbuilt but planned LHN streets.

Yup - take a look at this link. You might have to scroll through the images to find the streetplan for LHN, but St. Peter's Street will be the one running north-south parallel to Marin. Meaning that these two towers will be going up on the plot directly to the south of 18 Park. I hope the new occupants like living in the shade.

Also, check out the stupid street names here: Avenue B, Avenue G and inexplicably, there is a Second Street. Also, why is Jersey Avenue hyphenated as "Jersey Avenue - First Street"? Are these developers planning to rename the entire streetscape downtown?

If they had their way, the whole of JC would be lumbered with the god awful Soho West soubriquet...

Posted on: 2015/2/19 16:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
yeah it'll be somewhere near the marin light rail stop

Posted on: 2015/2/19 15:27