Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
155 user(s) are online (131 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 155

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: DNA: WTC Underground Passageway to Open Thursday
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/30 14:17
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ConstantReader wrote:
The crowds at the Vesey corridor/Church St. crossing were especially bad this morning. Took me two changes of the light to get across the street. It would help a LOT if the construction fences along Church St. were moved west slightly, restoring a city street lane that could be used as a sidewalk by pedestrians exiting the Vesey corridor and heading south on Church. That would drastically reduce the number of people trying to cross Church at that intersection. Quite possibly there would be no need for crossing guards to yell at commuters every day.

From what I can see through the gate at the Vesey/Church intersection, there's plenty of space within the construction zone. Maybe having that Church St. lane was more important earlier in the construction process, but not now. Other big construction sites in the city seem to manage fine without having to encroach on city streets.

For what it's worth, I doubt this is related to the WFC tunnel opening, simply because the tunnel looks like it's barely used. Walking by it last night and again this morning, I only saw one or two people going in or out. With time, commuting patterns may change so that more BPC residents use the tunnel, but right now it's almost totally unused.

Posted on: 2013/10/25 14:38

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/19 19:16
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ConstantReader wrote:
The crowds at the Vesey corridor/Church St. crossing were especially bad this morning. Took me two changes of the light to get across the street. It would help a LOT if the construction fences along Church St. were moved west slightly, restoring a city street lane that could be used as a sidewalk by pedestrians exiting the Vesey corridor and heading south on Church. That would drastically reduce the number of people trying to cross Church at that intersection. Quite possibly there would be no need for crossing guards to yell at commuters every day.

From what I can see through the gate at the Vesey/Church intersection, there's plenty of space within the construction zone. Maybe having that Church St. lane was more important earlier in the construction process, but not now. Other big construction sites in the city seem to manage fine without having to encroach on city streets.

Just walk a block north to Barclay St, its empty every day and no need to deal with the chains or crossing guards. Theres also an entrance to the train on the corner of Barclay and Church

Posted on: 2013/10/25 14:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/28 15:39
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
I know there;s an unwritten rule about never saying anything positive on JCList, but the new passageway is absolutely stunning. Even my most jaded co-workers were blown away by it. The transportation hub is ridiculously overdue and criminally overpriced, but it's clearly going to be beautiful.

how dare you say something positive here! you are hereby banned and will immediately undergo negativity training before having your posting permissions considered for reapplication.

Posted on: 2013/10/25 14:11

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/9 14:35
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/10/25 14:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users
I know there;s an unwritten rule about never saying anything positive on JCList, but the new passageway is absolutely stunning. Even my most jaded co-workers were blown away by it. The transportation hub is ridiculously overdue and criminally overpriced, but it's clearly going to be beautiful.

Posted on: 2013/10/25 13:28

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/5/4 2:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SwitchboardGirl wrote:
Hopefully this will alleviate some of the crowding on the Escalators once the passageway is open. Anything they can do to reduce the insane cattle car crowds on any part of the WTC station is ok with me. Now if they can just open some sort of temporary passageway to the Southeast of the site for pedestrians until the permanent PATH station gets built would be fantastic. The hoards of people going through Vesey and Church (southbound) is just insane and I'm surprised no one has gotten hurt yet.

There is no way that someone hasn't been trampled sometime in the years since the "Corridor of Horror" has been in use by pedestrians. I think the PAPD just withholds news of such incidents from the public. I am always afraid to drop my water bottle or--even worse--an electronic gizmo while stumbling along during the morning/evening rush. I mean--do I stop to pick it up and risk getting run over by the dudes with massively overloaded backpacks and the ladies with stilettos cackling on their iphones? Ironically, I think the passageway will only make things worse since the commuters from WFC and regular crowd will all converge at the same spot in front of the turnstiles. Seems like a good place to play Where's Waldo...

Posted on: 2013/10/25 0:51

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/18 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Hopefully this will alleviate some of the crowding on the Escalators once the passageway is open. Anything they can do to reduce the insane cattle car crowds on any part of the WTC station is ok with me. Now if they can just open some sort of temporary passageway to the Southeast of the site for pedestrians until the permanent PATH station gets built would be fantastic. The hoards of people going through Vesey and Church (southbound) is just insane and I'm surprised no one has gotten hurt yet.

Posted on: 2013/10/24 19:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/7 23:14
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:

When I read the article, I imagined that the only connection point would be behind the wall that is to the right of the turnstiles as you are entering.

I thought the same thing - and, passing it this morning, I believe you're correct. I can't say I'm looking forward to the mess of people heading in all sorts of different directions, between the escalators and the turnstiles... It's already bad enough, now that they blocked off the stairs on the east side of the handicapped ramp.

Posted on: 2013/10/24 17:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Toonces wrote:
Quote:

Azul_the_Cat wrote:

Sure did. With the rate the Fulton Center construction is going I doubt they will meet their 2015 timeline.

FWIW, Fulton Center = MTA, where the Calatrava albatross = Port Authority.

I'm curious to see where the underground walkway connects to the PATH station - and does it actually go under Tower 1? Obviously we'll find out tomorrow...

When I read the article, I imagined that the only connection point would be behind the wall that is to the right of the turnstiles as you are entering.

Posted on: 2013/10/23 21:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
I would be much happier with the existing WTC PATH station and a new rail tunnel under the Hudson

Posted on: 2013/10/23 20:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/7 23:14
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Azul_the_Cat wrote:

Sure did. With the rate the Fulton Center construction is going I doubt they will meet their 2015 timeline.

FWIW, Fulton Center = MTA, where the Calatrava albatross = Port Authority.

I'm curious to see where the underground walkway connects to the PATH station - and does it actually go under Tower 1? Obviously we'll find out tomorrow...

Posted on: 2013/10/23 20:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/6/2 11:06
From Scenic McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jmiz wrote:
Did you read the article?

Posted on: 2013/10/23 18:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/22 1:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Azul_the_Cat wrote:
... but I wish they would open the tunnel that's going to connect to the NYC Subway.

Did you read the article?

Quote:
The pavilion and passageway will eventually lead to the much-anticipated Santiago Calatrava-designed $3.9 billion WTC transportation hub and the nearby Fulton Center, which are both still under construction.

And I'll never call the World Financial Center "Brookfield Place"
Quote:
The pavilion is also part of Brookfield Place's $250 million revamp of the former World Financial Center buildings, which will include high-end retail shops and dining.

Posted on: 2013/10/23 17:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/6/2 11:06
From Scenic McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
It's good they are making progress with the station, but I wish they would open the tunnel that's going to connect to the NYC Subway.

Posted on: 2013/10/23 17:39

DNA: WTC Underground Passageway to Open Thursday
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/8/23 19:32
From hamilton park
Group:
Registered Users
http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20131 ... -passageway-open-thursday

World Trade Center's Underground Passageway to Open Thursday

By Irene Plagianos on October 23, 2013
LOWER MANHATTAN ? Pedestrians trying to cross the busy West Side Highway near the World Trade Center will soon be able to make their way underground.

The long-anticipated World Trade Center west concourse, an underground walkway linking the WTC site with Brookfield Place at Vesey Street, is slated to open Thursday at 11 a.m., the Port Authority announced Tuesday.

The passageway will connect the WTC PATH station, which has an entrance at West Broadway and Vesey Street, with the new glass-enclosed Brookfield Place Pavilion across West Street, which is also opening for the first time Thursday.

The 8,000-square-foot pavilion, supported by two massive steel lattice towers, will have six escalators leading to the underground passage, along with revolving doors opening to West Street.

The pavilion and passageway will eventually lead to the much-anticipated Santiago Calatrava-designed $3.9 billion WTC transportation hub and the nearby Fulton Center, which are both still under construction.

The pavilion is also part of Brookfield Place's $250 million revamp of the former World Financial Center buildings, which will include high-end retail shops and dining.

Posted on: 2013/10/23 15:49

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017