Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
137 user(s) are online (113 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 137

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: A no-show at a council meeting

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/26 16:41
Group:
Registered Users
Hey, Fletcher. You lost.

Posted on: 2013/5/30 15:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Let's not divert from the issue. I do not believe in personal attacks. My comment was Fletcher attended the council meeting yesterday and where was the newly elected council person? Personal attacks don't count.

Posted on: 2013/5/30 14:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/5/8 0:52
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Oh and Yvonne, you dont know about 90% of the junk you talk about. Stick to telling stories about the "good old days" when the morris canal was being built and there were segregated water fountains.

Posted on: 2013/5/30 14:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
As ussual, you speak a lot about subjects you have no clue on and clearly haven't attempted to educate yourself on. Its a great example of why you should not be, and are not, our councilperson-elect.

Since you prefer to be ignorant and not educate yourself, I'll help you out...

Quote:

FGJCNJ1970 wrote:
And Mr. Donnelly made this whole thing about affordable housing. Well, affordable housing needs to extend to everyone including the middle class and when you have out of control property taxes, that makes living here un-affordable for a lot of folks who don't "qualify" for affordable housing.

When the city council passes a 30 year tax abatement for a project described as (from the agenda) "mixed-income, mixed-use housing" that will have many units at market rate... well that is not fair to the Middle Class who has to shoulder this give-away.

Q: Why is the project described and designated as mixed-income/mixed-use?
A: Urban planning & community development studies have found that when you develop housing in a distressed neighborhood, if no effort is made to incorporate a mixed-income strategy within the development and neighborhood, we end up with ghettos. The reason the duncan projects were razed is because they had been a cesspool of crime (crime that spills in to surrounding neighborhoods and across the city and lowers everyone's quality of life and property values, including yours); by developing the replacement affordable housing as having a small (8%... does that qualify as "many?") middle-income/market-rate component it increases the economic viability of the whole neighborhood/city. Having a small middle-income/market-rate component guarantees that not every resident will be living in the building on vouchers. Mixed-use may mean that some of the building has a home ownership, instead of just being purely rental, component. As with the middle-income component, this community redevelopment effort is designed to create a greater sense of neighborhood ownership and revitalize distressed communities.

As for "shouldering this give-away," the land currently has zero property taxes paid on it. Granting the abatement results in property taxes being paid. There is no give-away, you aren't shouldering anything. If anything you are being given something. You are receiving improved quality of life as your neighbors get the chance to live in a safer and affordable home which raises the value of your property.

Quote:

FGJCNJ1970 wrote:

Also, while they tout jobs - in particular Section 3 jobs for community, what came out in the conversation is only 30% of jobs are section 3 jobs in actuality. The rest wind up coming from elsewhere. We need an audit of where the workers are really coming from before the council grants any more abatements.

Q: Only 30% are Section 3 jobs?
A: At least 30% of jobs are section 3 jobs. You find me a neighborhood where 100%, or even more than 50%, of the neighborhood are unemployed/low-income and trained as skilled accountants/bookkeepers, carpenters, masons, maintenance person, etc so that they can work on construction of or for the property after its completed. Oh and btw, they arent eligible to be deemed section 3 employees according to the federal government if they have been unemployed for more than 3 years... which could make things more difficult for you. Luckily for us, you have seemingly volunteered to find 100% section 3 workers for the project! and for that I say THANK YOU! Finally you are doing a service to our community.

Quote:

FGJCNJ1970 wrote:

And the length of the abatements is just too long. 10-15 years tops.

Q: Why is the abatement 30 years? Why is it not 10-15 years tops?
A: The abatement must be 30 years because the FHA/HUD requirement for affordable housing properties being developed with tax credits is that they remain "affordable" for a minimum of 30 years. If property taxes rise on a property that is not designed to make a profit because its development is intended to help the poor (and it is being developed by a non-profit) to the point where property taxes exceed "affordable" rental income the property goes bankrupt. When the property goes bankrupt it becomes a slum. When it becomes a slum, crime will undoubtedly rise. When crime undoubtedly rises... your property value will drop and your fat ass will probably get robbed.

Quote:

FGJCNJ1970 wrote:

The Jersey Journal said that I should learn more about our government and try again in four years. I intend to do just that. And I will be attending council meetings regularly. And when I see those words "XX year tax exemption" you better believe I will show up and speak out.

See over the past four months, I talked to hundreds of folks in Ward E... and people are miffed that no one is looking out for the Middle Class. I hope to be that watch dog for the Middle Class.

Thanks

FG

Q: Will you learn more about government (and community development)?
A: Unlikely. You are more about sound clips and rhetoric than analysis and reason. I'm really not sure that you are capable of learning.

In closing, you stated that the city doesn't need an "IT person" sitting on the council. I strongly disagree. Our city needs to embrace technology so that we can address problems more efficiently and in a cost effective manner. What the city and the council does not need is someone who is an expert in junk-mail marketing.

Posted on: 2013/5/30 14:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The only way you know she sees the council meetings on TV is if you are with her. Stop making excuses for the newly elected councilperson. She is a grownup.

Posted on: 2013/5/30 13:32

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/25 7:29
Group:
Registered Users
Yvonne --

Candice doesn't sit on the Council until July 1 and the Council meetings are televised! Candice will watch it on the tee-vee!

Don't you know that? What a non-issue.

Matt Schapiro

Posted on: 2013/5/30 13:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
When reval happens, (Fulop cannot stop it) you need a proactive council person there fighting for Ward E. I truly admire Fletcher being there speaking about taxes and other issues that affects Ward E. Unfortunately, people are picked to be on slates because they are the correct ethnic for that particular ward but since we don't pick our ethnic group, I was never impressed by that. Now we are also seeing people dropping out from other races. They were picked because of their ethnic group or they have ties to some organization. It is unfortunate good people are not chosen to be on major slates. When I said good, I mean a person who wants to spend their time learning about the issues and being proactive before they are sworn in. I wish Fletcher good luck if he has any future political campaigns.

Posted on: 2013/5/30 13:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/15 3:35
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Just wanted to chime in.

Thanks to Yvonne for the words of support.

I wanted to come to last night's council meeting for a reason. I just knew there would be some post election surprise and drama and I was not disappointed.

One of the first pressing issues for the next administration that takes office on July 1 is going to be the budget.

The city has shown that its $16 million over already, and we're not even half way through the year yet. I fully expect that number to grow.

And, a lot of promises were made during the election on keeping taxes stable, to no tax increases, to also promises of stopping the tax reval that is looming.

I can't see how Fulop is not going to be able to NOT raise taxes. And unfortunately the Middle Class having already been abused by the Healy administration, just can't take any more tax increases. I think spending needs to be CUT.

With this very important issue taking prominence, I think it's important for Council-Woman Elect Osborne to be present at every meeting leading up to when she actually takes the oath of office. This way she will have some idea of what the issues really are. IT issues just are not a pressing issue at the moment. Sorry.

And Mr. Donnelly made this whole thing about affordable housing. Well, affordable housing needs to extend to everyone including the middle class and when you have out of control property taxes, that makes living here un-affordable for a lot of folks who don't "qualify" for affordable housing.

When the city council passes a 30 year tax abatement for a project described as (from the agenda) "mixed-income, mixed-use housing" that will have many units at market rate... well that is not fair to the Middle Class who has to shoulder this give-away.

Also, while they tout jobs - in particular Section 3 jobs for community, what came out in the conversation is only 30% of jobs are section 3 jobs in actuality. The rest wind up coming from elsewhere. We need an audit of where the workers are really coming from before the council grants any more abatements. And the length of the abatements is just too long. 10-15 years tops.

The Jersey Journal said that I should learn more about our government and try again in four years. I intend to do just that. And I will be attending council meetings regularly. And when I see those words "XX year tax exemption" you better believe I will show up and speak out.

See over the past four months, I talked to hundreds of folks in Ward E... and people are miffed that no one is looking out for the Middle Class. I hope to be that watch dog for the Middle Class.

Thanks

FG

Posted on: 2013/5/30 12:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Yvonne, STOP WHINING, its really tiring to hear an old woman act like a young kid EVERY WEEK. If you want to complain about someone not knowing procedure... how about you start with the travesty that is Viola Richardson or your boy Fletch who had to be corrected by Byrne a half dozen times when he tried to take the floor to talk about... who the heck knows what he was talking about.

Between you and Fletcher I dont know who is more insolent? Candice won, we elected her, its over.

Posted on: 2013/5/30 12:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
but I am disappointed in his choice for Ward E. Let's not forget one important thing, the councilperson votes for the entire city, so even if you are not in Ward E you are affected by a council person who has no or little knowledge. What a shame!

That is why I am not thrilled with Rivera.

Posted on: 2013/5/30 10:36
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Are we going to make Candice the new target since the Bret thing is wearing thin Yvonne? Let's be realistic. Where are/were -

Charles Epps
Frank Gajewski
Jermaine Robinson
Gerald Meyers
Chico
Janet Chevres
Sean Connors
Mike Yun
and whoever else I forgot

Don't you think that these potential candidates, movers & shakers in their respective wards should have at least started attending meetings when they announced? So get off the Candice-mobile, you are singling out the only person who won their seat outright & you're ragging because they missed the meeting after the election. I would start worrying if they started missing meetings after they are sworn in.

Posted on: 2013/5/30 10:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/3/10 21:37
From The Heights.
Group:
Registered Users
The fact that she will be taking office in a month most likely means she is tying up some things before she takes office. You know she did have a life before this. People would be agreeing with you if she was already in office. This is like sending back undercooked meat before it has reached your table.

Posted on: 2013/5/30 4:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I was around when development started so let me give you a history lesson. Dixon did not have an abatement. The first 4 Newport buildings did not have an abatement until then Mayor Cucci asked for affordable housing so LeFrak asked for an abatement. Colgate Redevelopment never asked for an abatement until Mayor Cucci asked Colgate to repay their taxes for the board of ed, so Colgate Redevelopment asked for an abatement. The developers saw how easy JC politicians were. These were the first abatements so stop changing history. Even Society Hill did not have a long term abatement. Personally, I believe Candice's job is to be ready to be a councilperson in order to make intelligent decisions. I should also mention Esther Wintner, a non-Fulop candidate also attended the meeting.

Posted on: 2013/5/30 3:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
what's the point of taking away abatements in dtjc when none of those developers will look at some of the other parts of the city - even if you paid for all of their construction and throw in a cookie.

so the new council will vote down any and all abatements in dtjc. How does that help jc? WIthout even acknowledging (many of you don't) that some of these areas are in horrible condition with mostly just gang rule in place, you don't help JC in the least bit.

Please, go ahead and tell newcomers to move to those areas. "It's just gritty, not dangerous."

Posted on: 2013/5/30 3:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/23 15:07
From Between Thought and Expression
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
you people are hilarious and I really wonder if any of you are real because how could any of you lack so much common sense?

You actually think that if no abatements came to downtown jc then these developments would go to bergen Lafayette or even more hilarious, greenville? rofl.

Yes, because abatements are a major reason why developers don't develop in those areas. Abatements are why developments like crystal point and 77 hudson are not in greenville rofl. Not lack of transportation to the city, not the median income of those living in those areas, not the homocide and armed robbery rates, not the gangs, not the horrible schools AND lack of any good private schools, and not the fear of getting shot in the face. It's abatements.

Please take away all abatements from downtown area and watch as the toll brothers will flock to greenville. There will be a 77 hudson 2 and crystal point: greenville edition.

you people should make a comedy show.

let's be honest. it's the "if I can't have it, then no one else can mentality." In your heart of hearts, you know without MAJOR changes and transportation connections to areas like greenville, there will never be the kind of development that downtown has experienced so if you can't have it, you don't want downtown to have it either. Just come out and say it...I know you want to

The problem with the abatement deals downtown is that too much was left on the table in favor of the developers. This will change starting in July.

Posted on: 2013/5/30 3:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
you people are hilarious and I really wonder if any of you are real because how could any of you lack so much common sense?

You actually think that if no abatements came to downtown jc then these developments would go to bergen Lafayette or even more hilarious, greenville? rofl.

Yes, because abatements are a major reason why developers don't develop in those areas. Abatements are why developments like crystal point and 77 hudson are not in greenville rofl. Not lack of transportation to the city, not the median income of those living in those areas, not the homocide and armed robbery rates, not the gangs, not the horrible schools AND lack of any good private schools, and not the fear of getting shot in the face. It's abatements.

Please take away all abatements from downtown area and watch as the toll brothers will flock to greenville. There will be a 77 hudson 2 and crystal point: greenville edition.

you people should make a comedy show.

let's be honest. it's the "if I can't have it, then no one else can mentality." In your heart of hearts, you know without MAJOR changes and transportation connections to areas like greenville, there will never be the kind of development that downtown has experienced so if you can't have it, you don't want downtown to have it either. Just come out and say it...I know you want to

Posted on: 2013/5/30 3:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/23 15:07
From Between Thought and Expression
Group:
Registered Users
I'm glad that Candice understands priorities. The top order of business for her tonight was to fight to get the Fulop at-large candidates elected. Richardson has been on the council too long.

Posted on: 2013/5/30 3:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Why not? Don't you want a better informed elected official? I was amazed by Fletcher, he had a lot to say. By the way if you think you are not paying enough taxes, don't worry, revaluation will solve that problem. As it is, you are paying for the 30 year abatement for mixed used housing that was voted on tonight.

Posted on: 2013/5/30 3:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/1 19:35
Group:
Registered Users
Why does the one elected council person have to attend a meeting in May? The new council and new mayor don't take office until July 1st.

Posted on: 2013/5/30 3:06

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/29 17:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:

If my $300k building paying $10k is the yardstick, then that brownstone is STILL undertaxed!

I totally agree with you!!!

Posted on: 2013/5/30 3:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

ProgressJC wrote:
You just brought up some great points. These are real problems in downtown. Lack of air on the PATH trains, million dollar brownstones with taxes around $20,000, and those horrible traffic jams at Newark & Grove. Wow that's a lot to take in.

If my $300k building paying $10k is the yardstick, then that brownstone is STILL undertaxed!

What a high standard you're setting Yvonne, we're lucky if sitting councilpeople all show up and you're dinging her for not making one before she's even in office?

I've been amazed at the low attendance of the various boards, people wait months for a variance hearing and then there's no quorum!

Posted on: 2013/5/30 2:57

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
You just brought up some great points. These are real problems in downtown. Lack of air on the PATH trains, million dollar brownstones with taxes around $20,000, and those horrible traffic jams at Newark & Grove. Wow that's a lot to take in.

Posted on: 2013/5/30 2:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/4 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
downtown is underdeveloped and taxed less than most other parts of the city.

I've been living in DTJC for 23 years. It's plenty developed! No developer needs tax abatements to build here. If abatements are to be given then they should go to areas like Greenville and Bergen-Lafayette.

Are you kidding me? There are people in Port Liberte who pay less taxes than I did when I bought in 1997!

Posted on: 2013/5/30 2:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
So downtown is underdeveloped? Could you please write a "letter to the editor" with your real name. I don't want to laugh but have you ridden the PATH lately? I know a person who nearly fainted from the number of riders in the car. She didn't have enough air. If you think downtown does not pay enough taxes, I personally know two building in the Van Vorst Park area that are paying $20,000 in taxes. I can only guess you don't own a car and was not stuck on Newark Avenue near the Grove Path Station for nearly 20 minutes especially when there are festival. 20 minutes on one block. By the way, the public is insulted when a newly elected official does not show up.

Posted on: 2013/5/30 2:35

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Way to insult Candice by saying she has little to no knowledge of the city process. I think Candice will be a great councilwomen. BTW downtown is underdeveloped and taxed less than most other parts of the city.

Posted on: 2013/5/30 2:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The budget was discussed which is the job of the council. An abatement was given, another job of the council. Another abatement was deferred which means it will return. The council job is to make decision on legislation. But, and this is an important but - you must have knowledge in order to make those decisions. The council does not represent the mayor, according the Faulkner Act, the council represent the public. The only person I saw from Ward E, speaking for the overtaxed citizen was Fletcher.

Posted on: 2013/5/30 2:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
So you are judging her for not showing up to 1 council meeting? Was there an important vote?

Shouldn't you wait for a few council meetings to happen first...?

Are you christian by any chance? You've never missed going to church 1 Sunday?

Posted on: 2013/5/30 2:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
You don't like the question so you dismiss the answer, how convenient.

Posted on: 2013/5/30 2:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
In the fine tradition of the Facebook Political Insider, I declare this thread stillborn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRnRX85tQu4

Posted on: 2013/5/30 2:01

A no-show at a council meeting
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
One of the reasons I thought Candice was wrong for the council job - she does not attend council meetings. Now that she won, who did I see - Fletcher, and he spoke well on many issues. Dan Levin wasn't there but I am sure he will be back because Dan has a history of attending council meetings for many years. So the most overtaxed, overdeveloped ward had a missing councilperson to be. This doesn't surprise me because she will probably vote according to the mayor's wishes. By the way, Fulop is/was a great councilman but I am disappointed in his choice for Ward E. Let's not forget one important thing, the councilperson votes for the entire city, so even if you are not in Ward E you are affected by a council person who has no or little knowledge. What a shame!

Posted on: 2013/5/30 1:55

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017