Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
104 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 104

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Jersey City mayor releases endorsements, launches website for 2013 reelection bid
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/6/13 15:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TSmith wrote:
I wonder if Fulop will release any more endorsements. Any article that mentions a Fulop endorsement will definitely mention Healys, which isnt good for Fulop.

Also, what union leader would back Fulop after the President endorsed Healy, who he called a friend. Union leaders that make dumb endorsements are replaced and nobody wants to lose their job.

Please tell us about your extensive experience with the press and with unions.

TSmith, we know that you know Dan, but you don't know Jack.

Posted on: 2013/3/23 3:09

Re: Jersey City mayor releases endorsements, launches website for 2013 reelection bid

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/3/23 2:39
Group:
Registered Users
I wonder if Fulop will release any more endorsements. Any article that mentions a Fulop endorsement will definitely mention Healys, which isnt good for Fulop. Also, what union leader would back Fulop after the President endorsed Healy, who he called a friend. Union leaders that make dumb endorsements are replaced and nobody wants to lose their job.

Posted on: 2013/3/23 2:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users

Quote:

SOS wrote:
Do you share Healy's vision for Jersey City? Join the Healy team:

link

brilliant.

Posted on: 2013/3/22 17:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/16 19:07
Group:
Registered Users
Just got a Healy robocall informing me of the Obama endorsement.

Posted on: 2013/3/21 22:22

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/5 17:35
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TSmith wrote:
Terrence M confirmed that its real. It's hard to fight this but the Fulop people try. Bless their hearts. Could this be the beginning of the end? hmmm

Saw that. Assume it real (though JJ=truth? never met TM but will assume he is an upstanding and ethical journalist?)

In any cae, regarding the beginning of the end. Hardly- maybe the beginning of the beginning. Healy is sooooooo going down!!!!!!!!

Posted on: 2013/3/21 20:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City election 2013: healthcare workers union endorses Healy

By Terrence T. McDonald/The Jersey Journal
March 21, 2013 at 3:24 PM

A healthcare workers union that bills itself as the ?largest local union? on the globe today endorsed Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah Healy in his bid for re-election.

Milly Silva, executive vice president of 1199SEIU, which represents 400,000 healthcare workers, appeared at a Montgomery Street nursing home this morning to formally back the mayor.

?He understands how critical it is to have nursing homes that are well-funded, safely staffed and which provide its employees with fair compensation and a voice at work,? Silva said.

Healy is seeking his third full term. He is being challenged by City Councilman Steve Fulop; Abdul Malik, a doctor in his native Pakistan; and Jerry Walker, the former local basketball star who now runs a popular afterschool program.

The mayor is on a roll with endorsements. This week the Laborers? International Union of North America, which represents 20,000 laborers, gave Healy its nod, and yesterday the mayor stunned Jersey City when he announced the support of President Obama.

The election is on May 14. The mayoralty and all nine council seats are up for grabs.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... _heal_5.html#incart_river

Posted on: 2013/3/21 20:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/5/8 0:52
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Its funny, obama and milly silva said nearly the same thing... Its almost as if the same person is scripting a statement for them... That makes for a very genuine sounding endorsement. Well i concede, jerry can stop campaigning now. Btw, do you think obama knew that gonzalez preaches against obamacare, that brennan is a racist, or about his PAC legal issues?

Posted on: 2013/3/21 0:34

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Healy to get SEIU 1199 endrosement
By Darryl R. Isherwood | March 20th, 2013 - 2:53pm
Share on facebookShare on twitterShare on favoritesShare on print|More Sharing ServicesMore

Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah Healy is set to receive the endorsement of the 1199 SEIU United Healthcare Workers East, according to a statement from the local.

The announcement from the country's largest local comes on the same day Healy scored the backing of President Obama in what will likely be the most significant endorsement of the race.

The union is scheduled to a make a formal announcement at an event held at Liberty House Nursing Home on Thursday, March 21 at 10 a.m.

Certified nursing assistants, dietary aides, and housekeepers who work at nursing homes in Jersey City interviewed the mayor prior to making their final decision

"Time and again, Mayor Healy has been a staunch advocate for Jersey City?s working families," said Milly Silva, 1199SEIU Executive Vice President for New Jersey. "From his efforts to get illegal guns out of our neighborhoods, to defending the rights of homeowners facing foreclosure, to standing alongside caregivers as they advocate for their patients, we?ve come to know Mayor Healy as a champion for working people and for Jersey City's elderly population."

Read more at http://www.politickernj.com/64123/hea ... endrosement#ixzz2O84P77UR
or sign up for a free trial of State Street Wire at http://www.politickernj.com/freetrial

Posted on: 2013/3/21 0:22

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Terrence M confirmed that its real. It's hard to fight this but the Fulop people try. Bless their hearts. Could this be the beginning of the end? hmmm

Posted on: 2013/3/21 0:04

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/5 17:35
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Stringer wrote:
President Obama endorses Jersey City mayor's re-election bid

March 20, 2013 at 9:55 AM

In a surprise coup that is sure to help Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah Healy in this Democratic stronghold, President Obama has endorsed Healy's bid for re-election, the Healy campaign announced today.

In a statement from the Healy camp, Obama called the mayor one of the "leading voices on urban sustainability and getting illegal guns off our street."
?To continue moving America forward, we need more leaders like my friend, Jerry Healy,? Obama said. ?He?s made Jersey City a vital engine for economic growth, innovation and opportunity."....

Just putting it out there since I trust nothing without seeing it with my own eyes- has anyone actually "seen" the endorsement? This does not seem unreasonable to ask- a citation from the JJ is not necessarily "truth". We are talking the president of the most powerful and influential country in the world, not a really a "local" politician. Remember- this new is coming from the campaign of a man who has more than one colleague in prison. Maybe worth a thought or maybe I'm the ignorant one here- please educate me.

Posted on: 2013/3/20 22:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Healy and his biggest endorsers Obama, Bloomberg and Lautenberg have two things in common:

1. The same script-writer.
2. None of them will be re-elected.

Posted on: 2013/3/20 19:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/16 20:23
From not downtown
Group:
Registered Users
+1

NAILED IT.

Quote:

SOS wrote:

link

Posted on: 2013/3/20 18:54
I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food.
W. C. Fields

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/6/11 5:14
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Stringer wrote:
Healy in 2007 was one of Obama's early backers in his bid to win the Democratic nomination for president over then-Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton. Healy was co-chair of Obama's New Jersey campaign.

Hardly surprising. This is a straight quid pro quo for past favors.

You gotta give the mayor credit for making the right pick in 2008. Cynical voices at the time suggested it was a straight bid for African American votes. That's not the whole story.

The real question for JC voters is which candidate has the vision and the skills to lead us forward. Healy's tired and has already failed. It's time for new leadership.

Posted on: 2013/3/20 14:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/23 15:07
From Between Thought and Expression
Group:
Registered Users

link

Posted on: 2013/3/20 14:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
President Obama endorses Jersey City mayor's re-election bid

March 20, 2013 at 9:55 AM

In a surprise coup that is sure to help Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah Healy in this Democratic stronghold, President Obama has endorsed Healy's bid for re-election, the Healy campaign announced today.

In a statement from the Healy camp, Obama called the mayor one of the "leading voices on urban sustainability and getting illegal guns off our street."
?To continue moving America forward, we need more leaders like my friend, Jerry Healy,? Obama said. ?He?s made Jersey City a vital engine for economic growth, innovation and opportunity."
Healy in 2007 was one of Obama's early backers in his bid to win the Democratic nomination for president over then-Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton. Healy was co-chair of Obama's New Jersey campaign.

Healy, who faces three challengers in the May 14 citywide race, called Obama's endorsement "one of the proudest moments of my career."

?When I first met President Obama six years ago, I immediately knew we shared the same vision and values, and that?s why I endorsed him. This past year, I was honored to play a small role in keeping America?s progress going by working on his re-election," the mayor said. "And today, I am honored to have his support in the fight to keep the progress going here in Jersey City.?

Healy on May 14 will ask voters to give him a third full term. His challengers are City Councilman Steve Fulop; Jerry Walker, a former local basketball star who runs a popular afterschool program; and Pakistani doctor Abdul Malik.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... s_jerse.html#incart_river

Posted on: 2013/3/20 14:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City mayor accepts endorsement of union workers

on February 01, 2013 at 3:58 PM

Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah Healy, seeking a third full term in office, today received the endorsement of the various labor unions that represent some city, county and Jersey City Medical Center workers.

Sherryl Gordon and Rich Gollin, executive directors of Council 1 and Council 52 of the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees, said Healy is ?truly concerned with the well-being of the working people,? in a statement released from the Healy campaign.

?Mayor Healy clearly represents not only traditional democratic values, but also supports uplifting as well as maintaining a strong middle class in our state,? said Gordon. ?Supporting Mayor Healy certainly is a good step in the right direction in assisting working families throughout the region.?

Healy, first elected in a November 2004 special election, is facing Ward E City Councilman Steve Fulop and former college basketball star Jerry Walker in the May 14 city election, when the mayoralty and all nine council seats are up for grabs.

The AFSCME locals included in today?s endorsement include employees of the Jersey City Medical Center, the Jersey City Free Public Library, and the Hudson County Division of Welfare. Healy has previously received the endorsement of the Jersey City Education Association and an AFSCME local that represent some school district workers.

?I am deeply honored to have AFSCME?s endorsement to keep the progress going in Jersey City,? Healy said. ?I?ve always worked hard to support Jersey City's working families, and they will always be at the forefront of all that I do.?

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... y_mayor_accepts_endo.html

Posted on: 2013/2/2 6:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Joan Quigley endorses Jersey City mayor's re-election bid

on January 14, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Former assemblywoman Joan Quigley last week endorsed Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah Healy?s re-election bid, saying in an open letter to Healy that his eight-year record as mayor is ?unmatched.?

"Quite frankly, I can?t understand why you would want to continue to serve in the extremely difficult job of mayor, but I am glad you do,? Quigley writes. ?And I am proud to support you.?

Quigley, a Democrat who was rumored to be a possible City Council candidate on Healy?s ticket, retired from the state Assembly last year after redistricting left her Jersey City home outside the boundaries of the district she represented. She served 18 years in that body.

Healy, who is gunning for a third full term as Jersey City?s mayor, faces competition from Ward E Councilman Steve Fulop and former St. Anthony hoops star Jerry Walker.

Quigley?s letter praises Healy for his record on property taxes and crime, adding that he treats people ?with dignity and respect.?

?I believe that attitude is essential in a civic leader,? she writes.

The election is set for Tuesday, May 14. The mayoralty and all nine council seats are up for grabs.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... ersey_c.html#incart_river

Posted on: 2013/1/15 7:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City Mayor Healy's re-election bid endorsed by two Puerto Rican leaders

December 07, 2012 at 9:34 AM

Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah Healy raked up the endorsements of Freeholder Chairman Eliu Rivera and a Puerto Rican senator yesterday, with the senator saying Healy is ?good for all Puerto Ricans.?

Rivera and Puerto Rican Sen. Jorge Suarez Caceres also gave a nod of approval to former mayoral aide Omar Perez, who Healy announced Wednesday is running on his ticket as an at-large City Council candidate.

?I think you have chosen an individual who is going to make a difference,? Rivera told Healy last night inside the Manila Avenue apartment complex Villa Borinquen.

Healy will face Ward E Councilman Steve Fulop in next May?s mayoral race. The mayor, seeking his third full term, has a ticket comprised so far of Perez and Ward E council candidate Dan Levin.

Caceres yesterday said Healy ?0?is ?a big supporter of the Latino community.?

?We are happy to support you,? he said.

Rivera, meanwhile, whom Healy called ?the godfather of the Puerto Rican community,? said he thinks Latinos should support Healy?s re-election bid because of the ?many changes? in the community under Healy?s leadership.

?He has held the fort together,? he said.

Last week, Fulop earned nods from a half-dozen black pastors and Freeholder Bill O?Dea. This week, Fulop received support from a slew of Latino leaders, while Healy won endorsements from two unions representing thousands of teachers and school workers.

Fulop campaign spokesman Bruno Tedeschi wasn?t impressed by Healy?s latest news.

?This is just a desperate man on a sinking ship,? Tedeschi said. ?He had to fly in a politician from Puerto Rico who has no ties to Jersey City.?

http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index ... y_mayor_healys_re-el.html

Posted on: 2012/12/7 18:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Jerry's drunken buffoonery is what helps Jersey City keep that 40 years behind NYC feel. The rank and file in city services are quaking in their boots. The worst possible scenario for them is a Mayor backed by taxpayers who hold them accountable. It was a lot easier for them to push around poor people while buying off their leaders with no show city jobs and phony political positions. The cops and firemen and every other city employee is not looking forward to dealing with residents who actually know their rights and what they are paying for with the ridiculous tax rates. Ever been to Montclair? The residents there are smart, wealthy and tell the city what they want. In other words, they don't take crap from political hacks and city goons. Jersey City is moving in that direction slowly but surely. No more "I'll talk to my cousin Sean about hooking you up with a city job". Healy represents the past. Fulop is the future.

Posted on: 2012/12/5 5:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City mayor's reelection bid receives endorsement of local teachers union

December 04, 2012 at 12:40 PM

The 4,000-member Jersey City teachers union today endorsed Mayor Jerramiah Healy in his bid for reelection.

The Jersey City Education Association was joined in their support of Healy by the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees Local 2262.

JCEA President Ron Greco said Healy is ?motivated by what?s best for Jersey City.?

?He?s always had Jersey City?s back, and we?re proud to have his back against an opponent who seems to care less about Jersey City?s children and more about what?s best for his own political gain,? Grecco said in a statement today released by Healy?s campaign.

Healy, who is seeking his third full term, will face Ward E City Councilman Steve Fulop in the 2013 mayor?s race.

Bill Murawski, president of AFSCME Local 2262, called the mayor ?a man of his word who understands Jersey City?s working families.? The union represents over 600 custodial workers, bus drivers, security and maintenance staff at Jersey City schools.

Healy said he is "honored" to have the support of the two unions.

?Everything I do as mayor is motivated by what?s best for Jersey City and the future of all the families who live here,? he said in the statement. ?Nothing is more important than looking out for Jersey City?s children."

Fulop's camp said that, notwithstanding today's Healy endorsements, the Fulop campaign has a "tremendous amount of respect" for school teachers and staff.

?While this endorsement is similar to the endorsement supporting Healy?s team in the last Board of Education election that we ended up winning, we still look forward to working with the unions representing our teachers and staff," Fulop said.

Fulop last week was endorsed by a group of black ministers, and today announced the endorsement of some high-profile leaders of the city?s Latino community.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... ves_end.html#incart_river

Posted on: 2012/12/5 5:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/10 19:14
Group:
Registered Users
Looks like too much bad baggage, lack of accountability, dismal performance during and after Hurricane Sandy and the FBI's national corruption sting is finally catching up with Jerry. His Press Secretary puppet, Jennifer Morrill will be working over time to spin why all his former backers are now jumping ship.

Surely anyone with a conscious or any sort of moral compass will not vote for him and his party. The ones who do are either ignorant or they are in his administration's back pocket.

How many of you can actually stomach what Jerry let happen to his elderly former Deputy Mayor, Leona Beldini? Did he give it one ounce of thought or did he run with tail between his legs? Loyalty rarely flows down but I sure bet the Alka-Seltzer was flowing at Jerry's house. Her sad, dejected, grimmace below must send shivers down his "turncoat." Those eyes speak volumes.

Resized Image

Of course what Beldini did was abhorrant and against the law but did she really do this all by her sweet lonesome? She will be lonesome alright locked up in Texas. And I am not implying Jerry was at all involved but it does give one pause, no? Hope that pause happens at the ballot box in 2013.

Meanwhile, I encourage all Jersey City citizens to revist the scandal that rocked our city and helped cast a further repugnant corrupt cloud over it. All done under Healy's watch. Keep in mind that Beldini started her 3 year prison sentence just 7 months ago.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... _city_deputy_mayo_15.html

Posted on: 2012/12/4 15:16

Edited by 81905 on 2012/12/4 15:37:26
Edited by 81905 on 2012/12/4 15:38:07
Edited by 81905 on 2012/12/4 15:39:02
Edited by 81905 on 2012/12/4 15:44:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Political Insider: Healy left trying to convince backers to go down with ship

December 03, 2012, 4:25 PM
By Agustin C. Torres/The Jersey Journal

Assemblyman Sean Connors of the 33rd Legislative District by way of Jersey City is being tagged this week with the nickname "Robert the Bruce" after taking back his endorsement of Mayor Jerramiah Healy.

All those fans of the movie "Braveheart" know the political implications of the moniker. In the popular 1995 flick that stars Mel Gibson as Scottish warrior William Wallace, the nobleman Robert the Bruce, who becomes king of Scotland, sides with Wallace in his fight against England. In a key battle, Robert the Bruce -- obviously cognizant of his political future -- doesn't follow Wallace onto the bloody field, guaranteeing the heroic rebel's defeat, torture, and death.

While I understand the Connors analogy, perhaps "Robert the Bruce's" "dis-endorsement" is more epic than most realize.

This whole thing started with Healy's early September announcement that he is indeed seeking re-election. At the same time, the mayor produces nearly a half-dozen endorsements from the same pols who either work for him or are part of the same Hudson County Democratic Organization or Jersey City Democratic Organization pea pods that they all inhabit -- including Connors.

Healy's archenemy, Downtown Councilman Steven Fulop, makes light of the endorsements, noting that they come from career pols who had been living on more than one paycheck and padding pensions, even while the councilman was with the Marines in the Middle East.

After being wined and dined on the Jersey Shore by a couple of Healy acolytes, Connors is talked into attacking Fulop. The assemblyman then publicly calls Fulop "un-American" for saying bad things about pols who he says worked hard at becoming public servants.

Since then, the Healy ship of state "Re-elect" has been taking on water, even before Hurricane Sandy. In recent columns I?ve suggested there would be people jumping ship about now.

Early this week, there were endorsements from several African-American pastors. Then came the big surprise -- Connors announced he was taking back his endorsement of the mayor, mostly based on what he called Healy's dismal performance during the hurricane aftermath. The assemblyman said he heard the complaints of residents of chaos and looting in the cold, dark neighborhoods.

He did not say he was backing Fulop, so it seems the assemblyman was anxious to put himself back on neutral ground, a return to the factory default settings. Connors has to start back on the bottom rung of the ladder, but at least he will not be underwater.

The administration immediately went on the offensive and attacked Connors publicly, saying Healy worked 24 hours a day during the hurricane crisis. Privately, they tried to sell the story that Connors was trying to leverage his endorsement for a job, which is against the law, and then that the assemblyman wanted Healy to fire Police Chief Tom Comey and Chief of Staff Rosemary McFadden. It is hard to believe that Connors, who was never taken seriously by the Healy administration, would really think he could make those requests.

Connors is capable in the Heights section of the city, which is considered the center of the administration's political strength. The withdrawal of "Robert the Bruce" is a serious blow, a move that could "gut" -- well, depress -- Healy's base.

Then the snowball got bigger Thursday when Freeholder Bill O'Dea sneaked in a hook by endorsing Fulop's bid for mayor. The freeholder called Fulop and his followers young and energetic, something that could only help the city. O'Dea is a powerful influence on West Side, Marion and even Journal Square voters. The former councilman also has strong name recognition in other sections of the city.

There are two ways Healy and company will try to stop the bleeding -- money and one big endorsement.

Funding starts tonight when McFadden hosts some Democrats from Monmouth and Ocean counties at her Allenhurst home at $200 a pop. Hope it's a big house.

The big one is on Thursday. The Healy fundraiser is at Casino in the Park on Thursday, starting at 5 p.m. It will cost $150 per ticket.

Will they close off some of the hall to make the crowd look bigger? There is some panic. Parking Authority front office workers are getting some pressure -- forget Christmas -- to attend, according to city sources.

Contrast this with Fulop scheduling three fundraising events this month with no problems.

Finally, Healy and company are planning a meeting with Sen. Sandra Cunningham, rumored to be a last-minute hat in the mayoral ring (it will never happen), and her political guru Joe Cardwell in the mayor's effort to solicit her endorsement. The mayor will come with a big shopping list for the senator to pick her holiday gifts in return for an immediate endorsement.

Negotiations should be short. Healy no longer has a majority of votes on the City Council. He can not offer 40 to a million pre-election promotions in the Police and Fire departments. Even if he can do something for the senator and her followers, it may only be available for five to six months, until the May election.

Last-minute source report: This morning the Healy Team plans a pep rally at the Liberty House Restaurant in Liberty State Park to toughen up the jellied backbones of some political followers. The campaign can ill afford the cost, but there are several more "Robert the Bruces" ready to walk in the Healy camp.

A Healy speech at the rally may resemble the one below from "Braveheart."

Wallace: "I am William Wallace. And I see a whole army of my countrymen, here in defiance of tyranny! You have come to fight as free men. And free man you are! What will you do without freedom? Will you fight?"

A Scottish warrior responds: "Two thousand against ten? No! We will run -- and live!"

http://www.nj.com/hudson/voices/index ... _left_t.html#incart_river

Posted on: 2012/12/4 7:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

In a statement from his campaign, Healy said he ?Not once did Sean Connors bring up any critique of our response - privately or publicly - until today's orchestrated political press release,? he said. ?Frankly, it smacks of sheer opportunism to take this tragic situation that had such a profound impact on so many lives and to use it for personal, political gain."

This has got to be the funniest thing I have read in a very long time. Smacks of opportunism? Beg your pardon Jerry but wasn't it you & your group of loyalists who sat Conners down in 2008, at Christmas time, & promised him a seat on the BOE, a City vehicle, an inside job at 8 Erie with free rein to do whatever he wanted, then made him the booby prize on Stack's ticket guaranteeing him the assembly seat? Takes one to know one.

Posted on: 2012/11/27 12:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City assemblyman withdraws support for mayor's reelection bid, citing 'dismal' performance

November 26, 2012 at 4:51 PM

Citing Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah Healy?s ?dismal performance? in the wake of Hurricane Sandy, Assemblyman Sean Connors withdrew his support for Healy?s reelection bid this afternoon.

Connors announced the unusual move in a statement he released at just after 1 p.m. today, saying it?s time for ?a change of leadership? in Jersey City.

Healy?s performance following Sandy was ?simply inexcusable,? the assemblyman said.

?There were many parts of the city where the mayor never even appeared,? Connors said. ?In a crisis, a true leader must provide a strong sense that he has the situation under control. What I heard from many residents is they felt a sense of growing chaos in the wake of Hurricane Sandy, with looting in some neighborhoods.?

Connors, a Jersey City police detective and former Board of Education member, stopped short of endorsing Healy?s main rival, Ward E Councilman Steve Fulop, but the assemblyman said he is ?looking for an alternative? to the mayor.

In a statement from his campaign, Healy said he worked ?around-the-clock? during the storm and its aftermath to get Jersey City families and businesses ?back on their feet.? Connors was with the mayor ?throughout much of the process,? the mayor said.

?Not once did Sean Connors bring up any critique of our response - privately or publicly - until today's orchestrated political press release,? he said. ?Frankly, it smacks of sheer opportunism to take this tragic situation that had such a profound impact on so many lives and to use it for personal, political gain."

Connors statement seemed to take two Healy loyalists contacted by The Jersey Journal by surprise. Earlier this month, the assemblyman was rumored to be joining Healy's ticket to represent Ward D on the City Council.

In August, Connors was one of five public officials to endorse Healy, an endorsement that led to a spat between Connors and Fulop when the Downtown councilman called the five ?career politicians? who ?have 15 jobs between them.? Connors responded by calling Fulop ?un-American.?

All may be forgiven now, with Fulop commending Connors for his ?difficult, though completely reasonable decision? to withdraw his support of Healy?s reelection.

?I am looking forward to having discussions with the Assemblyman to determine where we have common ground and how we can work together going forward for the residents of Jersey City,? Fulop said in a statement from his campaign.

Healy is seeking his third full term as Jersey City's mayor in next May's city election.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... y_assemblyman_withdr.html

Posted on: 2012/11/27 5:57

Re: Incumbent As Underdog
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/3/1 3:20
Group:
Registered Users
Corruption in the 21st century. Online donations with a Paypal account through a foreign country.

Posted on: 2012/9/12 3:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCFree wrote:
Remember, it's not what Fulop says, it's what he thinks he can keep from the public eye.

Again just insinuations on your part, whereas Healy's statement is a bald-faced lie designed to mislead the public:

Quote:

?I?ve been investigated. I have never been arrested, indicted, or convicted of any charge,?

Reminiscent of "I am not a crook".

Posted on: 2012/9/10 1:20

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/19 3:01
Group:
Banned
Of course that is what is taken away from the article. Not the fact that Fulop was claiming that endorsements don't matter publicly, but behind the scenes he was apparently courting Jeff Dublin, Sean Connors, and Mark Smith.

He wanted their support, but now that they have chosen to back Healy, he slams them as "pension padders" and that "the only endorsement that matters is that of the Jersey City residents".

Remember, it's not what Fulop says, it's what he thinks he can keep from the public eye.

Posted on: 2012/9/10 0:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
I love how he allowed Beldini to take the fall. His only punshment was a beating laid on him the night of the arrests. My guess would be from one of Beldini's relatives.

Posted on: 2012/9/9 15:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
From the article you linked:

Quote:

?I?ve been investigated. I have never been arrested, indicted, or convicted of any charge,? Healy said.

Lies or too drunk to remember any of it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerramiah_Healy#Arrest_and_conviction

Posted on: 2012/9/9 14:58

Incumbent As Underdog
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/19 3:01
Group:
Banned
Excerpt

-Last week the Healy campaign announced the support of five Hudson County elected officials who have endorsed his campaign, including Bayonne Mayor and Hudson County Democratic Organization Chairman Mark Smith; State Assemblyman Sean Connors (33rd Dist.-Jersey City); Assemblyman Jason O?Donnell (31st Dist. -Bayonne); Hudson County Executive Thomas DeGise; and Jersey City?s Democratic Chairman, Jeff Dublin.

Some of the endorsements are notable because they came from officials Fulop either helped in the past ? like Dublin ? or people he reportedly tried to cultivate for his own campaign. Several sources last week said Fulop placed a testy phone call to Smith after his endorsement of Healy was made public. Fulop had hoped that Smith would either endorse him or stay neutral in the Jersey City race for mayor.-

Read more: Hudson Reporter - The incumbent as underdog He?s been down but Mayor Healy and supporters say don?t count him out

http://www.hudsonreporter.com/view/fu ... ey_city_story_left_column

Posted on: 2012/9/9 14:11

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017