Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
116 user(s) are online (106 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 116

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Westside: Part of old PJP Landfill site might get a Walmart or another big-box store
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/5 20:49
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
ianmac47 wrote:
A new Walmart will mean a massive influx of vehicle traffic. That traffic will require a major investment in road infrastructure to service the store. Our tax dollars will pay for it. That is the Walmart business model.

But traffic will be horrendous and eventually they'll end up adding turn lanes or reconfiguring the intersection which will cost hundreds of thousands to millions of dollars.

Maybe you are correct and adding retail at this location will require a change of traffic patterns. However, this isn't any different than what would have been necessary had they gone ahead with the original plan of building a high cube warehouse at that location. Adding thousands of trucks to local roads every day would certainly have required a change to the traffic patterns and you can be damn sure that AMB Corporation wouldn't have been paying for them. I don't see how Walmart is any different than any other business in this regard.

Frankly, I'd rather see the land acquired as an expansion of Lincoln Park or added as a new Jersey City park but seeing as that really isn't an option anymore I would prefer something that the residents of Jersey City can actually use, like a Costco or Walmart, than a warehouse and distribution center that will add thousands of trucks to local roads without providing any benefit to the residents of Jersey City.

Posted on: 2011/8/18 12:02

Re: Westside: Part of old PJP Landfill site might get a Walmart or another big-box store
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
A new Walmart will mean a massive influx of vehicle traffic. That traffic will require a major investment in road infrastructure to service the store. Our tax dollars will pay for it. That is the Walmart business model.

The same thing would be true of a Costco or a Sams Club or a Target.

You really think they're going to do anything to 440? I doubt it. And most of the Costcos haven't obviously had anything special done for them, any more than BJ's has, unless you count a turn signal into the lot. I will concede your theory on 1-9 in N Bergen however, they've been working on those roads nonstop.

Immediately, no. But traffic will be horrendous and eventually they'll end up adding turn lanes or reconfiguring the intersection which will cost hundreds of thousands to millions of dollars.

Posted on: 2011/8/18 6:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:

You really think they're going to do anything to 440? I doubt it. And most of the Costcos haven't obviously had anything special done for them, any more than BJ's has, unless you count a turn signal into the lot. I will concede your theory on 1-9 in N Bergen however, they've been working on those roads nonstop.

Posted on: 2011/8/17 22:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

pookie2010 wrote:
@ianmac47

I guess you have not been reading my posts. If a walmart store were built on westside, it would allow residents who don't have cars to walk there.

But if a costco is built then people need a car or taxi to shop at that store because it is a warehouse and they don't provide shopping bags plus sell large bulk items.

I'm sure there would have to be some road work done for the walmart itself, as with any new department store, but local residents could walk there.

If only the residents within walking distance of the location shopped there, the store would close. Walmart does not cater to the car-less. Walmart wants customers filling up shopping carts worth of merchandise because they are in a volume business.

Posted on: 2011/8/17 21:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/3 3:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

pookie2010 wrote:
@BREWSTER
DO YOU REALIZE THAT JERSEY CITY HAS TWO http://www.homedepot.com/ STORES
AND ONE
http://www.lowes.com/

YOU WANT A COSTCO WHEN JERSEY CITY ALREADY HAS A BJS AS WELL. YOU ARE BEING SO SELFISH!!!

WHAT IS WRONG WITH JERSEY CITY HAVING A WALMART??? HUDSON COUNTY IS THE MOST DENSELY POPULATED PART OF NEW JERSEY. IF JERSEY CITY CAN HAVE 3 HOME IMPROVEMENT STORES AND A BJS, THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH EACH CITY HAVING A WALMART.

@BREWSTER
I'M HAPPY YOU HAVE A CAR AND TRAVEL ALL OVER HUDSON COUNTY TO SHOP, BUT A LARGE MAJORITY OF JERSEY CITY RESIDENTS DON'T HAVE A CAR. @BREWSTER ARE YOU A SMALL BUSINESS OWNER BECAUSE I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY YOU ARE SO AGAINST JERSEY CITY POSSIBLY GETTING A WALMART???

Wanting a Costco is "SO SELFISH" because you want a Walmart? Wow.

Posted on: 2011/8/16 20:47
I live by the river.

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/12/6 20:29
Group:
Registered Users
@ianmac47

I guess you have not been reading my posts. If a walmart store were built on westside, it would allow residents who don't have cars to walk there.

But if a costco is built then people need a car or taxi to shop at that store because it is a warehouse and they don't provide shopping bags plus sell large bulk items.

I'm sure there would have to be some road work done for the walmart itself, as with any new department store, but local residents could walk there.

Posted on: 2011/8/16 12:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

pookie2010 wrote:
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Quote:

borisp wrote:
I am not sure, - how do you mean "kill"? Will they send some assassins in the dark of the night?

Or, do you mean, - they will provide much better value to the customers by selling goods and services at better prices and people will choose to shop there?

Actually Boris, they don't provide better value to their customers, they merely externalize costs in a way that masks the true cost to the consumer.

For instance, since many of their employees are paid less than a living wage, all taxpayers end up contributing to social programs to support employees of Walmart.

Or, as another example, because price is the primary driver for products, Walmart often pressures suppliers to use cheaper components on products sold in their stores that then end up leading to more waste collected by municipalities, more waste in landfills, and higher long term costs for the consumer who now must replace the faulty product.

But I know for you poors, its easier to think of Walmart as providing you a great discount rather than think about the broader implications of saving four pennies at the register.

The mom and pop stores in Jersey City don't sell good quality items either. Most of the stores in Jersey City (fruit markets, bodegas, furniture, CH Marting, Kennedy Dept. Store, clothing stores in Journal Sq. & Central Ave) all sell cheaply made products as well. And they can't afford to hire more than 1 or 2 people (usually people who don't have a green card) which they pay about $5.00 an hour. Therefore, we still end up contributing to social programs to support most of the residents of Jersey City.

Downtown Jersey City may have more mom and pop stores that sell good quality items, but the same can not be said for Journal Sq., Central Avenue, McGinley Sq., Greenville, and the rest of Jersey City.

Yes, but the local stores in each of those neighborhoods are precisely that: local. The gasoline used to get to Walmart is an externalized cost. The time spent traveling to a Walmart location rather than a local shop is an externalized cost. The taxpayer funded road improvements to the streets serving a Walmart an externalized cost. So yes, maybe the toilet bowl brush being sold for $1 at the local shop is still the same crap being sold at Walmart for $0.93, but at least at the local shop you haven't spent money on transportation or lost time or higher taxes.

Posted on: 2011/8/15 18:17

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Quote:

borisp wrote:
I am not sure, - how do you mean "kill"? Will they send some assassins in the dark of the night?

Or, do you mean, - they will provide much better value to the customers by selling goods and services at better prices and people will choose to shop there?

Actually Boris, they don't provide better value to their customers, they merely externalize costs in a way that masks the true cost to the consumer.

For instance, since many of their employees are paid less than a living wage, all taxpayers end up contributing to social programs to support employees of Walmart.

Or, as another example, because price is the primary driver for products, Walmart often pressures suppliers to use cheaper components on products sold in their stores that then end up leading to more waste collected by municipalities, more waste in landfills, and higher long term costs for the consumer who now must replace the faulty product.

But I know for you poors, its easier to think of Walmart as providing you a great discount rather than think about the broader implications of saving four pennies at the register.

The mom and pop stores in Jersey City don't sell good quality items either. Most of the stores in Jersey City (fruit markets, bodegas, furniture, CH Marting, Kennedy Dept. Store, clothing stores in Journal Sq. & Central Ave) all sell cheaply made products as well. And they can't afford to hire more than 1 or 2 people (usually people who don't have a green card) which they pay about $5.00 an hour. Therefore, we still end up contributing to social programs to support most of the residents of Jersey City.

Downtown Jersey City may have more mom and pop stores that sell good quality items, but the same can not be said for Journal Sq., Central Avenue, McGinley Sq., Greenville, and the rest of Jersey City.

Posted on: 2011/8/13 4:35

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

Woodsy wrote:
Quote:
pookie2010 wrote:

YOU WANT A COSTCO WHEN JERSEY CITY ALREADY HAS A BJS AS WELL. YOU ARE BEING SO SELFISH!!!

BJs and Costco are not comparable. You might as well be saying "why have a Walmart when there is already a Target?"

While I would much rather see a Costco (and save myself a bi-weekly drive to Clifton) I can at least say that any of the options currently being proposed are better than the "high cube warehouse" that was originally proposed for the site. I just hope that they can manage the additional traffic on 440 which is already a nightmare during rush hour (and frequently on weekends as well).

It seems traffic doesn't enter into these decisions. Just look at all the big box development along Tonnele in N Bergen, that stretch of road is a disaster, and they keep building! It can take you 1/2 hr just to get out of the lot of the new Walmart-BJ's center. But they have a Harbor Freight Tools!

@Brewster
You just proved me right. I've been saying all along it can take up to 30 mins to 1 hour to travel to these stores depending on traffic and you kept saying I was wrong. You just said the same thing I've been saying all along. Thank you.

Posted on: 2011/8/13 3:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

Woodsy wrote:
Quote:
pookie2010 wrote:

BJs and Costco are not comparable. You might as well be saying "why have a Walmart when there is already a Target?"

While I would much rather see a Costco (and save myself a bi-weekly drive to Clifton) I can at least say that any of the options currently being proposed are better than the "high cube warehouse" that was originally proposed for the site. I just hope that they can manage the additional traffic on 440 which is already a nightmare during rush hour (and frequently on weekends as well).

It seems traffic doesn't enter into these decisions. Just look at all the big box development along Tonnele in N Bergen, that stretch of road is a disaster, and they keep building! It can take you 1/2 hr just to get out of the lot of the new Walmart-BJ's center. But they have a Harbor Freight Tools!

On contrary, Walmart definitely takes these things into consideration. Building stores in remote areas lowers their costs translating to bigger profits while shifting the burden of transportation to the consumer who accepts lost time and fuel getting to the store in favor of lower prices. In addition, the burden of expanding the roadways feeding the Walmart falls to the taxpayers thus further externalizing the true cost of Walmart and making all of us subsidize the store whether we shop there or not.

Posted on: 2011/8/11 18:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Woodsy wrote:
Quote:
pookie2010 wrote:

Posted on: 2011/8/11 17:59

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/5 20:49
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
pookie2010 wrote:

Posted on: 2011/8/11 16:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

borisp wrote:

Posted on: 2011/8/11 15:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

pookie2010 wrote:
@Brewster

Driving in Jersey City and Hudson County is like driving in Nyc. Everyone knows it can take 30 minutes to drive 5 miles. You do live in Jersey City right? It takes me and everyone else I know in Jersey City about 30 minutes to 45 minutes to get to Bayonne depending on how bad the traffic is. It can take about 30 minutes to get to Kearny depending on traffic as well. Sames goes for Secaucus.

Perhaps you should invest in a map.

Posted on: 2011/8/11 15:27

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/19 14:35
From Lincoln Park
Group:
Registered Users
Pookie, why do you need to yell?

We are lucky to have so much free time at work that we can sit around and worry about something that is *utterly beyond our control.*

That's a few blocks down from where I live, carless in New Jersey. Walmart. BJ's. Costco.

I just hope they put in a fern bar, because that is going to be one hot afternoon for the jclady.

Posted on: 2011/8/11 13:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

pookie2010 wrote:
@BREWSTER ARE YOU A SMALL BUSINESS OWNER BECAUSE I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY YOU ARE SO AGAINST JERSEY CITY POSSIBLY GETTING A WALMART???

I'm not against Walmart, I'd just rather have a Costco! Does that make me evil? Selfish, possibly, but then so are you. Nothing wrong with a little self interest, St. Rand said so.

Posted on: 2011/8/11 1:41

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
@BREWSTER
DO YOU REALIZE THAT JERSEY CITY HAS TWO http://www.homedepot.com/ STORES
AND ONE
http://www.lowes.com/

WHAT IS WRONG WITH JERSEY CITY HAVING A WALMART??? HUDSON COUNTY IS THE MOST DENSELY POPULATED PART OF NEW JERSEY. IF JERSEY CITY CAN HAVE 3 HOME IMPROVEMENT STORES AND A BJS, THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH EACH CITY HAVING A WALMART.

@BREWSTER
I'M HAPPY YOU HAVE A CAR AND TRAVEL ALL OVER HUDSON COUNTY TO SHOP, BUT A LARGE MAJORITY OF JERSEY CITY RESIDENTS DON'T HAVE A CAR. @BREWSTER ARE YOU A SMALL BUSINESS OWNER BECAUSE I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY YOU ARE SO AGAINST JERSEY CITY POSSIBLY GETTING A WALMART???

Posted on: 2011/8/11 1:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2011/8/10 16:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/15 19:57
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jclady wrote:
would mean I couldn't drink in the afternoon,

I too enjoy getting drunk in the afternoon.

Posted on: 2011/8/3 19:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

pookie2010 wrote:
@Brewster

Driving in Jersey City and Hudson County is like driving in Nyc. Everyone knows it can take 30 minutes to drive 5 miles. You do live in Jersey City right? It takes me and everyone else I know in Jersey City about 30 minutes to 45 minutes to get to Bayonne depending on how bad the traffic is. It can take about 30 minutes to get to Kearny depending on traffic as well. Sames goes for Secaucus.

If you have to poor judgment to do your errands at the height of rush hour, I can't help you. At other times I get around just fine. I regularly go to the Hackensack Costco in under 1/2 hr, just as Googlemaps says.

Posted on: 2011/8/3 15:58

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Lincoln Park
Group:
Registered Users
I love going to Target. It's an expedition into the wilds.

I walk 20 minutes to take the Light Rail, ride to Newport for 25, then another 10 to Target, and back. In the summer sun, it invariably calls for a drink at Dorrian's. And don't forget: I am carrying everything I bought.

Having a big box store in my 'hood would mean I couldn't drink in the afternoon, because all the bars around my place are too man-heavy. I can't go in without feeling like a piece of meat.

Posted on: 2011/8/3 13:55

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
@Brewster

Plus there is no Walmart in Bayonne. There is only a Walmart in Secaucus and Kearny. You need a car to get to these towns, when a large majority of Jersey City residents do not own cars, by choice.

@sepecat
You just said you will not travel to Westside because you have a Target nearby, plus a BJs. It would be nice for the rest of Jersey City to have a Walmart dept. store without having to travel to Downtown as well.

Costco is better than BJs. However you would need a car to put everything in because Costco (like BJs) doesn't provide shopping bags. Therefore, most Jersey City residents would need a car or have to pay for a taxi. Costco like BJs sells big bulk items that many single people in Jersey City just don't need or buy. That is why I prefer a Walmart over a Costco.

@borisp
Well Put. Surprised no one has replied to your comment which I agree with 100%.

Posted on: 2011/8/3 3:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/21 20:55
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
If a walmart comes to this site it?ll be the third walmart on 440/1&9.. Bayonne-Jersey City-North Bergen.. I more used to Target that I doubt I?ll head to walmart.. I would like a Costco as its better than BJ?s.

Posted on: 2011/8/3 0:23

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/8/12 11:58
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jclady wrote:
The only non-industrialists who support regulatory rollback are the people who are too poorly read or educated to know what being a worker in 19th century Dickensian conditions meant and what it did to the environment.

Well put jclady.

Posted on: 2011/8/2 18:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jclady wrote:
For my own cultural health and the health of the community, I hope they don't put a WalMart there anytime soon. I like my West Side just as it is. I know the area will eventually change, but am not sure being captive to the corporate world is an improvement.

If all that were true there'd be no little groceries or other stores at all Downtown, which is crawling with supermarkets and big boxes. But there are plenty. Even cute little ethnic markets. It just means they need to compete better and give better value than with no competition.

See Boris, I do love capitalism, but many of those pesky "regulations" you decry are what keep the environment clean and customers & workers safe. The only non-industrialists who support regulatory rollback are the people who are too poorly read or educated to know what being a worker in 19th century Dickensian conditions meant and what it did to the environment.

Posted on: 2011/8/2 15:10

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Lincoln Park
Group:
Registered Users
More than anything, I think it has to do with culture shock.

I grew up in barrio in Houston in the 1970s, and we had these little "Mom and Pop" stores to shop at. We used to walk a couple of blocks, get our groceries, or go to the bodega across the street owned by the Valdez family. Chapa's Pharmacy was on the corner. It was all nearby, convenient, and keyed to the local community.

I moved away years ago, got college-educated and upwardly mobile, and haven't seen the likes of that for decades. Even my old 'hood in Houston has large stores now.

When I moved to West Side, it was like stepping back in time to my childhood. I shop at the local grocery store and the local bodegas, because I can walk, and I don't have to take the Light Rail to the PathMark off Jersey, an ordeal at best. All of the shops are local and cater to the distinct needs to THIS community. There isn't even a Starbucks (Hallelujah!)--there is a Ghanaian coffee shop.

But it is a different culture to shop here. It is more old-timey, more old-country, more working-class. I don't mind it. Raw ingredients make up the same food, and if I want something sheeshy, I can stop by Whole Foods in the City on my way home. But it's a cultural excursion into a past I thought was dead.

I know that if WalMart goes in down 440, in what I consider walking distance, I will head on over there, not for the prices, which will actually end up being higher, but because I am used to homogenized American culture when I shop. It is not part of the Phillipines.

For my own cultural health and the health of the community, I hope they don't put a WalMart there anytime soon. I like my West Side just as it is. I know the area will eventually change, but am not sure being captive to the corporate world is an improvement.

Posted on: 2011/8/2 13:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/31 13:04
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

pferm201 wrote:
do you idiots understand what this means...it will kill the small business here. walmart is known for doing that, so why bring in something that will kill something that is already struggling in this city.

If you mean the latter, - what exactly is wrong with that? Do you think it is stupid for me to try and get a better deal? Will you refuse a better deal?

Second question, - do you think it is better to have prices higher, employment lower and trade slower? Why?

BTW, if you want to help small companies against big ones, - try voting against politicians that create gazillions of the regulations.

Posted on: 2011/8/2 11:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:
pookie2010 wrote: it takes about 30 minutes to 45 minutes to get to Bayonne or Secaucus, not 8 minutes. You must be driving at 100 miles per hour!
You must be driving at 10 MPH. Kearny store is 16 minutes according to Googlemaps from Paulus Hook (chosen as being as far east as you can get in JC). The 8 minutes was from the proposed location. I was mistaken about the Bayonne store, I thought it had opened. But seriously, my wife commuted to St George on Staten Island, it took her 1/2 hr, and she's no Danica Patrick! No wonder you sold your car, you never got anywhere!
View Larger Map

Posted on: 2011/8/2 3:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/8/8 14:59
Group:
Banned
You're right. Screw the economy; pookie2010 is inconvenienced.

Posted on: 2011/8/2 1:08

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Well, I don't own a car to drive to Secaucus or Kearny. Plus there is no public transportation to Kearny, maybe a bus from Journal Square. I can honestly say I've been to Kearny a handful of times in my life. There is just no reason to go to kearny.

The Secaucus Store is visited by many Bergen and Hudson County shoppers as well.

The Bayonne Walmart store has not happened yet. They were going to open a Walmart in Bayonne but it is not open, don't even know if they are building one???

Therefore it would be convenient for me and many others to have a Walmart in Jersey City.

It doesn't make sense to have a Costco, we already have a BJs, same difference.

Also, it takes about 30 minutes to 45 minutes to get to Bayonne or Secaucus, not 8 minutes. You must be driving at 100 miles per hour! I have been driving my whole life and just recently got rid of my car, so I know how long it takes to get to Bayonne and Secaucus.

Posted on: 2011/8/2 1:03

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017