Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
128 user(s) are online (111 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 128

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Minor League Hockey in JC History?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/9/22 22:53
Group:
Registered Users
Between us, we could gurantee at least 3 season ticket holders! That's a start! If we were to drag the family or friends along, hey, 10, maybe even a dozen! I wonder if any investors ever read these threads.

Let's start the movement to bring a franchise to JC!

It'll never happen, but it would be awesome. Anything would be awesome. We have so much... nothing. In terms of sports, anyway (no offense to HS sports teams). Wouldn't that build a sense of community? Anything, hockey, baseball, basketball, whatever. Something we could all come together to root for, as a city, and put aside our differences for a couple hours a week? I think it would be cool, but meh... it's all just pie in the sky.

Side story - a bunch of buddies and I took a road trip to Montreal to see the World Cup of Hockey a bunch of years ago. We were pretty equally divided, Ranger fans and Devil fans, and we'd usually argue till the cows came home. It was really cool to all be on the same side for a change. Never thought I'd ever high-five a Ranger fan. Great trip. Great memories. Same with Olympic hockey, obviously we all root for USA, but we never got to go in person.

Trenton is too far west. If they want a Devils minor league team in NJ, they ought to go east coast. Brick and Wall and places like those are packed with Devils fans.

Posted on: 2011/7/7 15:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
I also think the Jersey City hockey team was a misprint.

The Trenton team was in the East Coast Hockey League. It is rare for a player from that league to make the NHL. I think the real problem was that it was a Devils team located in a market with a lot of Philadelphia fans. When they were the Trenton Titans, they did well because they were affiliated with the Flyers, who have a much larger fan base. As the Trenton Devils, they were out of their home base (which is weird since it is NJ's capitol city) and Devils fans would not really be interested in making the trip to see players unlikely to ever make it to the NHL and Flyer fans would avoid them altogether.

The Devils top farm team is located in Albany, which also has attendance problems. The Devils use their minor league teams to develop young talent, often at the expense of winning. That hurts attendance since many folks in Albany are Albany Devils fans, but not New Jersey Devils fans. They want to see winning teams, not future New Jersey Devils.

It may be that they will eventually locate the Albany team to Trenton, where at least Devil fans can see top prospects, regardless of whether the are winning or losing.

A Jersey City team, though, would be interesting, indeed. What's going on in the Powerhouse these days?

Posted on: 2011/7/7 14:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
I think they would maintain a minor league team even at a loss, because there has to be somewhere to develop talent. You can't have your prospects sitting around at home. Though I suppose they could work out some way to loan them out.

Posted on: 2011/7/7 12:51

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I think the Devs are re-tooling their whole minor league organization at this point. I don't even know if they will have a minor league team for this upcoming season. They probably have to, somewhere, somehow, because the injuries over the last couple seasons have been bad and they've had to call up several players. To go without the safety net of a minor league system would be a little bit scary.

Anyway, back to the Jersey City club, I think that must be a type-o or a misquote in the article. This site lists pretty much every hockey related club in NJ history (even including the old Rock n Rollers inline roller hockey club that played in the Meadowlands!). No sign of a JC franchise.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/te ... &tleague=&y1=&y2=&x=0&y=0

Interestingly, the current NJ Devils aren't the first club with that name in our states past. There was a club called the Jersey Devils until 1973 or something. Interesting.

Posted on: 2011/7/7 12:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
no idea. Does this leave the Albany Devils as the Devils only minor league team? Seems their minor league teams keep moving around and folding. Albany River Rats, then Lowell Devils, then Trenton Devils, then Albany Devils, then...

edit: huh. didn't know West Orange had an ice hockey team for a little bit. With an average attendance of 935 people, that's not too bad

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jersey_Rockhoppers
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_ ... _Hockey_League_%282008%29

Posted on: 2011/7/7 3:16

Minor League Hockey in JC History?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I was just reading an article about The Trenton Devils hockey team ceasing operations.

http://www.nj.com/mercer/index.ssf/20 ... vils_skating_on_thin.html

In the article it mentions that there was a minor league hockey team located in Jersey City at some point.

"A spokesman for Mercer County, the owner of the Sun Center, also declined comment.
Since teams in Atlantic City and Jersey City folded, the T-Devils are the state?s only remaining minor league hockey team."

I don't remember there ever being a minor league hockey team here, as long as I've been alive, anyway. I did a quick Google search and came up empty there too. Anyone have any info on this? For some reason, I enjoy researching pro or minor league teams (of any sport) that have played in Jersey City, especially at the former Roosevelt Stadium. I know they had ice there in the winter time, so I'm wondering if it's an old franchise that played there.

Thanks in advance if anyone has any info.

Posted on: 2011/7/6 22:34

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017