Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
166 user(s) are online (146 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 166

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: PATH Train Express this morning
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Rob4499 wrote:
"I wonder if they woud stop at 14th ST if St. Vincent's is still open."

I don't think it would make a difference. I have been on trains like this for years, and they always run an emergency case to 33rd.

I think it's for the logistics. It's easier to get a stretcher down to the platform. Generally, there are police in the 33rd station who can get to the scene immediately and assist. I am sure the PATH doesn't want to clog the tracks at 14th since you can't just dump the victim onto the platform and say "see ya" and hope the help arrives. That wouldn't be right. It makes sense to run the train to 33rd.

Elevators.

Posted on: 2010/4/22 21:35

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/6 4:22
Group:
Registered Users
"I wonder if they woud stop at 14th ST if St. Vincent's is still open."

I don't think it would make a difference. I have been on trains like this for years, and they always run an emergency case to 33rd.

I think it's for the logistics. It's easier to get a stretcher down to the platform. Generally, there are police in the 33rd station who can get to the scene immediately and assist. I am sure the PATH doesn't want to clog the tracks at 14th since you can't just dump the victim onto the platform and say "see ya" and hope the help arrives. That wouldn't be right. It makes sense to run the train to 33rd.

Posted on: 2010/4/22 19:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

stani wrote:
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Quote:

stepanstas wrote:
PATH was not ment for the volume of traffic it recieves today. Don't know why they don't build new tunnels.

Because the majority of people see the act of paying taxes as a personal affront. Stop complaining about taxes and maybe our governments can afford to make the investments in the services that are so desperately needed.

Govt can't undertake capital projects because most of the money they collect goes to pay salary and benefits of municipal employees. They could increase taxes, but if history is any guide, those increases would soon turn into increased salary and benefits for municipal employees. Because most people don't see this process, we're in a state of slow, gradual decay with no way out.

Municipal employees like DOT workers that fill potholes. And municipal employees like police officers that investigate crimes.

Actually, if history is any guide, higher taxes allow the government to undertake large capital investment projects. Projects like the Hoover Dam which generates electricity, or the Interstate Highway system that crisscrosses the continent.

But I think you have done an excellent job of demonstrating why there is never any political support for raising revenue to invest in the nation's infrastructure.

Posted on: 2010/4/22 18:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/20 14:33
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Quote:

stepanstas wrote:
PATH was not ment for the volume of traffic it recieves today. Don't know why they don't build new tunnels.

Because the majority of people see the act of paying taxes as a personal affront. Stop complaining about taxes and maybe our governments can afford to make the investments in the services that are so desperately needed.

Govt can't undertake capital projects because most of the money they collect goes to pay salary and benefits of municipal employees. They could increase taxes, but if history is any guide, those increases would soon turn into increased salary and benefits for municipal employees. Because most people don't see this process, we're in a state of slow, gradual decay with no way out.

Posted on: 2010/4/22 17:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Quote:

stepanstas wrote:

Like schools everyone contributes but not all have a vested interest. Meaning not everyone has children, and not everyone takes the train or at least not as frequent as others. Majority wins.

I disagree. Good schools benefit the entire community, both in property values and quality-of-life issues (like not having dropouts mug you on your way home from the overcrowded PATH train).

ditto decent infrastructure. I don't have a car, but the fact that my neighborhood is now a congested shortcut to the tunnel definitely affects my quality of life.

if the PATH gets worse, people will take to their cars or move away, taking their tax dollars with them. this will affect you whether you ride the train or not.

Posted on: 2010/4/22 17:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Quote:

stepanstas wrote:

Like schools everyone contributes but not all have a vested interest. Meaning not everyone has children, and not everyone takes the train or at least not as frequent as others. Majority wins.

Posted on: 2010/4/22 16:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
I would support a 100% fare increase if it led to any benefit.

Posted on: 2010/4/22 16:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

stepanstas wrote:

Posted on: 2010/4/22 16:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
what would they do with the local trains that are in the way?

think about it. with only 1 track in each direction, express trains are impossible, unless they come 15+ minutes after the previous train. and where's the time savings in that?

Posted on: 2010/4/22 16:29

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/1/9 1:38
From Bay Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jerzgirl wrote:
Nobody gets on or off at Christopher. The express could go right from Newport to 23rd and then 33rd.

I do. Every day. Along with many others. One of the dumbest things I've seen written here.

Posted on: 2010/4/22 16:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/14 6:40
Group:
Registered Users
A few years ago I asked about this. They said that since no independent lines exist, you will not save a significant amount of time. In other words, the express will be held up by the regular trains, so they might aswell stop at every station.

PATH was not ment for the volume of traffic it recieves today. Don't know why they don't build new tunnels. Same with the Holland Tunnel. They don't think about the future and just blow all funds on WTC.

Posted on: 2010/4/22 16:28

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/8/3 20:43
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Not sure the math is correct. Bypassing Christopher through 23rd might save you about 2 minutes., as TommyC said. You still would actually have to go through the stations if I'm not mistaken? Either way, that's a tight world to live in if it's down to 2 minutes in the morning!

I say this as a Grove - 14th commuter, of course.

Posted on: 2010/4/22 16:27

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/6/12 20:53
Group:
Registered Users
i do see your point - but bypassing three stops would save at least 7-8 minutes and in the AM that is a big deal to me!

Posted on: 2010/4/22 16:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/18 3:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jerzgirl wrote:
I wish they would consider having a Path Train Express every morning! Nobody gets on or off at Christopher. The express could go right from Newport to 23rd and then 33rd.

There used to be a Newark - WTC express, not sure when they stopped running it. That's the only one that really makes sense.

Posted on: 2010/4/22 16:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jerzgirl wrote:
I wish they would consider having a Path Train Express every morning! Nobody gets on or off at Christopher. The express could go right from Newport to 23rd and then 33rd.

Well, I got off at Christopher this morning ;)

In all seriousness, it's only 3 extra stops (Chris, 9th, 14th) and it would get you to 33rd maybe 2 minutes faster if you bypassed those 3 stops. Not worth the confusion and aggrivation of running different trains (local and express).

In the NYC subway lines, which have so many stops -- Express/Local trains are needed.

Posted on: 2010/4/22 15:56

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/6/12 20:53
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2010/4/22 15:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
I wonder if they woud stop at 14th ST if St. Vincent's is still open.

Posted on: 2010/4/22 15:26

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/6 4:22
Group:
Registered Users
I assume you were on the PATH Train around 9am this morning?

They made an annoucement that there was a sick passenger who was having an emergency and the police and EMTs were there to respond to what was happening.

This is standard when this type of thing happens.

Posted on: 2010/4/22 15:23

PATH Train Express this morning

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/4/22 15:18
Group:
Registered Users
Does anyone know what caused the PATH train to express to 33 this morning? There were many police at the station when the train arrived.

Posted on: 2010/4/22 15:20

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017