Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
142 user(s) are online (117 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 142

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Jersey City is buying solar-powered trash bin/compactors - in attempt to reduce pickups
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Perhaps now we can get trash cans back in the rest of the street corners that had them removed over the last five years.

Posted on: 2011/5/25 1:10

Re: Jersey City is buying solar-powered trash bin/compactors - in attempt to reduce pickups
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
4/15 15:15
Group:
Registered Users
A few quick thoughts that pop into my head:

1. Trash tipping fees are based on mass (weight), not volume. Garbage trucks themselves actually do a lot of compacting. So that means that the savings will be based on less pick-ups. Is it the same trucks that pick up the residential trash two days a week that empty these cans?

2. What is the maintenance costs and (if applicable) insurance costs to cover damage due to vandalism (spray paint I assume would have a negative effect on the efficiency of the photo-voltaic cells).? How long before the batteries (I assume that there are batteries there to store up enough juice to run a compactor..), if there are batteries, need to be replaced? What is the cost?

3. So after computing the Savings in Gas from fewer pickups minus the cost of maintenance, etc. of the new cans, what is the return on investment?

4. If the trash is left their baking in the summer sun for two weeks, is their an issue with odor, insects, and vermin?

Posted on: 2011/5/24 23:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/5/23 10:53
Group:
Registered Users
I wonder how these work on the inside. I'd like to see these in action.

Posted on: 2011/5/24 17:06

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/4 14:33
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Just seen 3 of these bins along West Side Ave, seems like a good idea to keep the streets clean that is if people use them. think they should place at least 1 of these in front of every school in the City.

Here's some pictures.

Resized Image
Resized Image
Resized Image
Resized Image

Posted on: 2011/5/24 14:37

Jersey City is buying solar-powered trash bin/compactors - in attempt to reduce pickups
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City is getting solar-powered trash bins that will compact contents so pickups can be reduced, saving fuel and labor Tuesday, May 24, 2011 By TERRENCE T. McDONALD JOURNAL STAFF WRITER The Jersey City Incinerator Authority is in the process of installing 100 solar-powered trash compactors throughout the city, a move the city says will help save time, money and fuel. The bins, which compact trash to 20 percent of its normal bulk, will replace standard bins located near bus shelters in every ward and on the J. Owen Grundy pier, according to city spokeswoman Jennifer Morrill. "On-site compaction reduces trash pickups, saving time, money and fuel, while reducing greenhouse gas emissions," Morrill said. "Garbage trucks will only need to empty the 100 solar compactors approximately twice a week as opposed to once a day." The standard garbage bins sometimes have to be emptied twice a day, she added. The city is paying for the compactors with $436,138 of a $2.3 million federal grant it was awarded last year to implement energy-efficient projects, according to Morrill. Resized Image Here is a Philly blog talking about these things - issues like large size and graffiti (click below) http://chestnuthilllocal.com/blog/201 ... ve-bigbelly-installation/

Posted on: 2011/5/24 13:11

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017