Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
80 user(s) are online (45 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 80

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Cops grab alleged accomplice in Heights bodega murder -- Family cheers arrest, wishes it was kil
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Deli owner's kin weep as her killer is sentenced

Wednesday, October 01, 2008
By PAUL KOEPP
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

The convicted killer of a Jersey City Heights bodega owner will spend the rest of his life in prison.

Defiant to the end, Antwan Shannon, 43, shook his head as Superior Court Judge Kevin Callahan handed down the sentence yesterday morning in his Jersey City courtroom, calling the murder "reprehensible" and "senseless."

Shannon was found guilty in June of murdering Fidelina Claros, 47, on Oct. 30, 2006, while robbing her deli at Webster Avenue and Ferry Street. He shot her in the back and twice in the side of the head at a range of less than 18 inches.

Claros' husband, Mario Avelar, said before the sentencing that his wife came to the United States in the early 1970s and worked tirelessly at her business to earn a decent living while earning universal admiration for her small acts of generosity.

"The devil came to the store and took away her right to live with us," Avelar said in a booming voice, while holding a framed picture of Claros. "All these dreams are down the tubes."

Eileen Rivas, 15, broke down in tears while talking about her aunt.

"Fidelina was supposed to be at my eighth-grade graduation. . I feel the anger inside me every single day. . She was like a second mother to me. . I don't understand how could someone do this. . I truly think he should go to jail forever."

Shannon told Claros' family he was sorry for their loss, but was not responsible for it, and said he will appeal.

His mother also appeared in court yesterday and said her son would never hurt a woman and if he had committed the murder he would have admitted it.

Under state sentencing guidelines, Shannon must serve almost 64 years in prison before he will be eligible for parole. He was also convicted of armed robbery, felony murder and weapons offenses, as well as the aggravated assault of a witness, Jorge Loiza. Shannon's sentence for those convictions will run concurrently with the murder sentence.

Loiza testified during the trial that he entered the deli while Shannon was still behind the counter and Shannon hit him in the head with his gun, knocking him down.

An accomplice of Shannon, Richard Salcedo, testified that he and Shannon were driving around getting high when Shannon told him to pull over and went into the store. Salcedo said Shannon had blood on him when he came back out and nervously said he'd robbed the deli and killed the clerk.

Salcedo pleaded guilty to armed robbery and faces up to 20 years in prison.

Posted on: 2008/10/1 11:26

Lawyer for convicted killer argues witness may have lied to hurt Shannon
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Argues witness may have lied to hurt Shannon

Tuesday, September 16, 2008
By MICHAELANGELO CONTE
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

The lawyer for the man convicted of killing a Jersey City mother of three while robbing her Heights deli argued yesterday that the court should order prosecutors to turn over records he says may show a key witness lied.

Antwan Shannon's attorney, Scott Finckenauer, was referring to testimony given by Shannon's ex-girlfriend, Madeline West, who played a key role in his conviction for the Oct. 30, 2006 murder of Fidelina Claros, 47.

West testified that Shannon returned home in a panic the day of the murder with blood on him. She said he told her "I just did a robbery - I think I killed the b- - - - because I had to shoot her again."

But Finckenauer, arguing before Hudson County Superior Court Judge Kevin Callahan, said Shannon now remembers that West had been on probation at the time and was reporting to a drug program on certain days, and said Shannon believes West may actually have been at the program on the day and time she testified about.

Finckenauer argued that if the jury found she lied, "surely that could have changed their conclusion." Privacy rights bar the defense from getting the records, so Finckenauer is asking the judge to order the state to turn them over.

Assistant Prosecutor Sal Rozzi said he didn't think the state could be compelled to provide the information and that what the records may contain is merely conjecture. He also said the matter should have been brought up during the trial.

Finckenauer also noted that witnesses gave very different descriptions of what the gunman was wearing, and said for the jury to have convicted Shannon "was clearly against the evidence."

Rozzi admitted that the clothing description was an issue during the trial, but said that decisions on what to believe and not believe is exactly what the jury was there to decide.

Finally, Finckenauer argued that a statement made by Rozzi in his closing argument was inappropriate. Rozzi had suggested to jurors that they probably couldn't remember what he was wearing a week earlier. The defense attorney argued that two eyewitnesses gave their descriptions the day of the shooting, not a week after.

Rozzi said what he told the jury was simply an analogy and that there was nothing in the analogy that would confuse a juror as to when the witnesses made their statements.

Callahan said he will give his ruling on the motion next Monday and Shannon will either get a new trial or be sentenced. He faces 30 years to life.

Posted on: 2008/9/16 9:37

Re: Cops grab alleged accomplice in Heights bodega murder -- Family cheers arrest, wishes it was killer
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/8 19:40
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
I'm way off topic here, but find myself annoyed each and every time the word "Bodega" is used in the news. Bodega translated to english simply means, a small grocery store,deli, convenience store, sometimes combined with a wineshop, in certain Hispanic neighborhoods.
The word has long since developed a negative connotation in the news media because that word is used to let everyone know that:

1. A crime occurred.
2. It was in a hispanic neighborhood.
3. It was in a crime-ridden neighborhood
4. The owner was definitely hispanic.

Certainly what occurred here is terrible and tragic and I can't begin to imagine what the family of Mrs. Claros must be going through.

It isn't bad enough that a crime occurred and that somehow someone got hurt, robbed, killed, etc.
Now let's inform the public where this thing happened by using the word Bodega each and every time.

There are plenty of Grocery Stores in the United States in Hispanic Communities where these types of things never ever happen at all...

Posted on: 2008/6/19 7:52
www.ninasdogwalk.com

A positive attitude brings strength, energy and initiative.

'I just did a robbery, I think I killed her'
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
'I just did a robbery, I think I killed her'

Wednesday, June 18, 2008
By MICHAELANGELO CONTE
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

Grim images of a bloodied Jersey City bodega owner slumped behind her counter were seen by her family for the first time yesterday as they listened to graphic testimony at the beginning of the trial of the man charged with her Oct. 30, 2006 murder.

"He was kind of shaky and nervous and he told me he just robbed the bodega and shot the clerk," testified Richard Salcedo, the prosecution's key witness in the trial of Antwan Shannon, who is charged with killing Fidelina Claros, 47, of Roselle. "He had blood splatters on his legs. I asked him 'Did you kill her?' He said 'Yes.'"

Salcedo has already pleaded guilty to his role as getaway driver in the robbery of the G&P Deli & Grocery, at Webster Avenue and Ferry Street, and faces 10 to 20 years in prison in a deal that compels him to testify.

Hudson County Assistant Prosecutor Sal Rozzi's first witness was Jersey City Police Officer Robert Campbell, the first officer to arrive at the deli on the robbery call. While Campbell testified, Rozzi showed the jury a bloody image of Claros slumped on the floor behind the store's counter with her back against boxes of candy bars and other merchandise.

Prosecutors say she was shot twice in the head and once in the back. Campbell testified that she had no pulse when he got there.

"It's hard to see this - it brings it all back," said Mario Avelar after seeing the pictures of his murdered wife. "It's shocking."

Shannon's ex-girlfriend, Madeline West, also testified yesterday, saying they lived in an Academy Street rooming house at the time of the murder.

West said Shannon returned in a panic that day. He had blood on him and he threw money on the bed and told her to count it because he had to share it, West said.

"I just did a robbery - I think I killed the b - - - - because I had to shoot her again," West quoted Shannon as saying.

West said Shannon told her to check if "Rich" was still waiting for him. She said she looked out the window and saw Salcedo waiting in his car. Salcedo also testified that after the robbery he took Shannon home and then waited for him in the car.

But defense attorney Scott Finckenauer cross-examined Salcedo and West and suggested to the jury that both had motives to pin the murder on Shannon. Salcedo's deal gets him off the original charge against him of felony murder, Finckenauer pointed out.

It was information from West that led police to Salcedo and Shannon, but she didn't tell police until January 2007, when she was filing a stalking charge against Shannon. Shortly before that, she filed a complaint saying Shannon assaulted her. It was also noted that she has a 2004 conviction for burglary and a 2006 conviction for drug possession.

At times West appeared confused on the stand and jumbled facts. When asked if she ever socialized with Salcedo, and she replied "Not to my knowledge." She gave the same answer when asked if she'd spoken to police about the case after January 2007.

After getting some important dates wrong, Finckenauer asked West if her memory of events was better today or in 2007.

"Today," West answered. "It was better then and it is even better now because he is out of my life."

Superior Court Judge Kevin Callahan told the jury to disregard that remark.

The prosecution will continue presenting its case at 11 a.m. today.

Posted on: 2008/6/18 11:01

OFFER DELI 'KILLER' 30-YR. MIN PLEA DEAL
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
OFFER DELI 'KILLER' 30-YR. MIN PLEA DEAL
1 week to decide; pal facing up to 10

Tuesday, November 06, 2007
By MICHAELANGELO CONTE
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

The man charged with killing a mother of three while robbing her Jersey City Heights bodega has one week to decide if he will go to trial or take a plea deal that could put him away for a minimum of 30 years, officials said.

Prosecutors have offered Antwan Shannon, 42, a chance to plead guilty to felony murder in the death of Fidelina A. Claros, 47, of Roselle, who was shot once in the back and twice in the head during the Oct. 30, 2006 robbery of her G&P Deli & Grocery at Webster Avenue and Ferry Street, officials said.

The charge carries a possible sentence of 30 years to life, but if he takes the plea he would likely get a break on how many years more than 30 he would serve, officials said. The cutoff date for the plea offer is Tuesday and if he says no at the hearing, Hudson County Superior Court Judge Kevin Callahan will set a trial date, officials said.

Richard Salcedo, 25, of Monticello Avenue, was arrested as Shannon's getaway car driver and he pleaded guilty to armed robbery in June, Hudson County Prosecutor Edward DeFazio said. Salcedo faces up to 10 years in prison when sentenced after Shannon's trial, DeFazio said.

Prosecutors allege Shannon entered the bodega, produced a gun and was robbing the store when he shot Claros. One bullet struck her back, suggesting she may have been trying to run away when he opened fire, hitting her several times, DeFazio said. They allege Salcedo was waiting in a car nearby and Shannon jumped in and they sped off, DeFazio said.

Salcedo was arrested in January on a contempt of court warrant for a child support issue and police found guns and ammunition in his home, DeFazio said. He was then arrested on Journal Square in March and charged in the bodega robbery, with his arrest leading to the arrest of Shannon, DeFazio said.

Shannon also faces the unrelated domestic violence-related charges of aggravated assault and stalking, DeFazio said. Police said they believe Shannon and Salcedo are the only two people involved in the bodega crime, DeFazio said.

Shannon had addresses on Sterling and Bergen avenues, DeFazio said. He was in prison from April 19, 1996 to May 30, 2001, March 10, 2003 to April 23, 2004 and May 3, 2005 to Sept. 16, 2005 on four robbery convictions, state corrections officials say.

Posted on: 2007/11/6 10:59

Re: Cops grab alleged accomplice in Heights bodega murder -- Family cheers arrest, wishes it was kil
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
'Don't say anything!'

Suspects arraigned in murder of Heights deli owner; victim's husband glad

Ricardo Kaulessar
Hudson Reporter staff writer 03/23/2007

MISSING FIDELINA ? Mario Avellar, the husband of the late Fidelina Claros, talked last week at the at the G&P Deli & Grocery, the scene of her murder in October 2006.
Jersey City deli operator Mario Avelar may get some closure in last October's murder of his wife Fidelina Claros.

His wife was shot to death on Oct. 30 in the G&P Deli & Grocery at Webster Avenue and Ferry Street, in the city's Heights section. She was 47.

Two suspects in the shooting death of the 47-year old woman were arraigned on Thursday following an investigation by the Hudson County Prosecutor's Office.

Antwan Shannon, 41, of Jersey City appeared in Central Judicial Processing in Jersey City via video link from the Hudson County Correctional Center in Kearny. He was issued a $2 million bail, which elicited loud complaints from Shannon over the excessive bail amount.

"You are charged with a commission of a homicide and with of course, armed robbery, and allegations that you shot to death Fidelina Claros," said Judge Richard Nieto.

Shannon began protesting over the bail, saying "I didn't do it!"

Shannon's public defender advised him loudly, "Don't say anything! Everything is being recorded and there's a prosecutor right here!" He added, "Nothing you say will charge that" and then told Shannon that he will try to get someone to lower his bail.

The alleged accomplice

Shannon was already serving time in the Kearny jail on a previous arrest for aggravated assault, according to Hudson County Prosecutor Edward J. DeFazio.

Appearing in court in person was the other suspect, Richard Salcedo, 25, of Monticello Avenue in Jersey City.

Investigators are alleging that he was the getaway driver after the robbery went awry.

In court, Shannon stood quietly next to his attorney, Arthur Abrams, while the charge of felony murder was read to him by Judge Nieto. He was issued $500,000 bail.

DeFazio said Salcedo was arrested Wednesday in Journal Square by members of the Jersey City Police Department, the Hudson County Prosecutor's Homicide Squad, and the U.S. Marshals Service.

Husband relieved

Avelar was working in the deli Thursday morning, unaware that both suspects had appeared in court that day until he was told by the Jersey City Reporter. He and his family were relieved that the suspects were apprehended.

"We feel like finally the judge, the courts, and the judicial system are going to play the role that we expect, will be 100 percent fair in punishing those who to do such acts as killing a defenseless woman," said Avelar. His wife, a native of El Salvador, also left behind three children and was buried in her home country.

"[The murderer] is a pathological killer," Avelar said. "He is a criminal who has no place in civilized society. For someone to do an act like this he can not even be called a man - he is an animal."

He said he had had lost hope in the crime ever being solved. He also said that Claros' loss still impacts him and his family.

"Little by little, time will heal our wounds," said Avelar. "As her friends and family, we were all impacted by her death."

Avelar said her death also had an impact in how their deli business is run. He said that now, there is "a better security system" and more customers are "keeping an eye" on the store.

A regular customer, "Harry," knew her for five years before the death and was affected deeply the night of her death.

"She would make my buttered roll and tea for me every morning I stopped in," said Harry. "When I was coming from home that night heard on the radio the day she was killed, I cried and couldn't sleep that night. She was a wonderful lady."

Solving an 'unnecessary murder'

DeFazio said that the investigation was "never-ending" was the day of the murder.

"Law enforcement never stopped investigating," DeFazio said. "Their tenacity made the difference in solving the case."

DeFazio cited the "numerous" interviews with residents living in the area and city surveillance cameras on other blocks as beneficial in capturing the suspects.

DeFazio also said Salcedo was familiar with the area near the deli, and helped in the conducting of an "unnecessary murder."

No date has been set for a trial.

Ricardo Kaulessar can be reached at rkaulessar@hudsonreporter.com

Posted on: 2007/3/24 10:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
'KILLER' CURSES $2M BAIL
'No proof!' he claims at video arraignment

Friday, March 23, 2007
By MICHAELANGELO CONTE
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

A Jersey City man who was already behind bars has been charged with murdering a mother of three while robbing the Heights deli she owned in October.

Antwan Shannon, 41, appeared in Central Judicial Processing in Jersey City via video link from the Hudson County jail in Kearny yesterday and complained loudly, saying his $2 million bail is excessive and that prosecutors have no proof against him.

He was charged Wednesday night with murdering Fidelina A. Claros, 47, of Roselle, who was shot once in the back and twice in the head during the Oct. 30 robbery of G&P Deli & Grocery at Webster Avenue and Ferry Street.

Shannon's attorney, a public defender, told him to "shut up" numerous times and warned him that he was being recorded before Shannon stopped speaking. At one point, Shannon cursed under his breath as he sat with his head cocked to one side and slouched back in a chair in the video conferencing room at the jail.

The accused getaway driver that day, Jersey City resident Richard Salcedo, 25, of Monticello Avenue, was arrested Wednesday at 10:50 a.m. on Journal Square and charged with felony murder, Hudson County Prosecutor Edward DeFazio said.

Salcedo also appeared in CJP yesterday wearing street clothes, his hands cuffed behind his back as he stared down at the defense table.

Salcedo's bail was set at $500,000.

Salcedo was represented by Jersey City attorney Arthur Abrams, who later said he had no comment.

Salcedo had also been arrested in January when officers executing a contempt of court warrant for a child support issue found guns and ammunition in his home, reports said.

When Judge Richard Nieto asked Shannon if he had anything to say, he said, "Yeah, bail is ridiculously high."

"I ain't got no $2 million," he added. "Why does bail have to be so high? I didn't do it."

Nieto responded that the bail was high because of the seriousness of the allegations.

Shannon persisted, saying: "It's crazy, a $2 million bail. You ain't got no proof."

DeFazio said investigators got a break in January when they got a tip about Shannon and that the arrest of Salcedo "also provided us with further information."

Salcedo will not be incarcerated in the same jail as Shannon for his protection, DeFazio said, though he would not say where that is.

===================================

In prison 3 times for armed heists
Friday, March 23, 2007

Antwan Shannon was already behind bars when Hudson County homicide investigators went to the county jail, in Kearny, Wednesday evening with a warrant for his arrest for the Fidelina Claros killing, officials said.

Shannon was being held on $100,000 bail after his January arrest in Jersey City on charges of aggravated assault, stalking and making terroristic threats, Hudson County Prosecutor Edward DeFazio said, adding that the victim in that case was a female acquaintance.

Shannon has a long history of crime and has spent significant time in prison.

He was locked up from April 19, 1996 to May 30, 2001; March 10, 2003 to April 23, 2004, and from May 3, 2005 to Sept. 16, 2005 on convictions for armed robbery, state corrections officials said.

He was charged with parole violations twice while serving his last sentence, which ended 13 months before Claros' death.

MICHAELANGELO CONTE

Posted on: 2007/3/23 13:41

Cops grab alleged accomplice in Heights bodega murder -- Family cheers arrest, wishes it was killer
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Cops grab alleged accomplice in Heights bodega murder
DIDN'T GET AWAY

Thursday, March 22, 2007
By MICHAELANGELO CONTE
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

Investigators say they've caught the getaway driver in last year's fatal shooting of a Jersey City Heights bodega owner.

Richard Salsedo, 25, of Monticello Avenue near Astor Place, was arrested yesterday at 10:50 a.m. at a store on Journal Square and charged with felony murder, Hudson County Prosecutor Edward DeFazio said.

When he was picked up yesterday, Salsedo was out on bail following his arrest on weapons charges on Jan. 9, DeFazio said. In that incident, officers executing an unrelated civil contempt of court warrant at his residence were given permission to do a search, and they found guns and ammunition, DeFazio said.

Other than that, DeFazio would only say that investigators from his office and Jersey City police connected Salsedo to the bodega murder and robbery based on interviews and other information.

Salsedo is expected to make his first appearance on the murder charge today, before a Central Judicial Processing judge in the Hudson County Administration Building in Jersey City.

Homicide investigators allege Salsedo drove the getaway car after his accomplice shot and killed Fidelina Claros, 47, of Roselle, during the Oct. 30 robbery of G&P Deli & Grocery on Ferry Street. Claros was shot once in the back and twice in the head, authorities said.

Investigators say that on the day of the murder Salsedo drove to Ferry Street just east of Baldwin Avenue and parked. The gunman got out of Salsedo's car, walked into the bodega and then, during the course of the robbery, shot and killed Claros - the only person in the store at the time, DeFazio said.

The gunman then got back into the waiting getaway car and Salsedo drove off, DeFazio said. At least one witness saw the getaway car and gave police a description of the driver, DeFazio said.

A security camera in a business a few blocks from the bodega captured images of the getaway car fleeing, DeFazio said, adding that the car appears similar to Salsedo's car, which has been seized.

DeFazio said solving the murder case has been a top priority for his office and the Jersey City Police Department.

"It was a stranger-on-stranger crime in which an innocent, hard-working member of the community was killed as a result of wanton violence due to greed," the prosecutor said.

=========================================

Family cheers arrest, wishes it was killer

Thursday, March 22, 2007

The murder of Fidelina Claros during the Oct. 30 robbery of her Jersey City Heights bodega came as a shock to neighbors and customers who said she had a heart of gold and a smile for everyone.

The 47-year-old Roselle resident was survived by three children - Guillermo Herrera, 21, Brian Herrera, 19, and Johanna Herrera, 17.

"We are happy that at least they got one guy and he won't do any more harm, but we wish they had caught the gunman instead," Claros's brother, Nelson Claros of Union City, said through a translator last night. "But we are happy, and we are happy with the work of the police."

A former home health aide worker in West New York, Claros opened the G&P Deli & Grocery on Ferry Street in 2001.

Relatives reopened the store almost exactly a month after her death. Her longtime companion, Mario Avellar, said that's what she would have wanted.

"She would have liked the show to go on," Avellar said. "This was her baby. This was her love."

MICHAELANGELO CONTE

Posted on: 2007/3/22 12:58

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017