Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
61 user(s) are online (54 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 61

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Help with homeowners building permit plans

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/5/19 17:02
From downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Have fun and keep your head not going anywhere if you go there in a bad mood and argue

Posted on: 2016/5/18 23:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ilsalmi wrote:
I just would like to thank everyone for their input and give an update. It is correct that for a single family you can pull homeowner's building permit and do the plans and construction without a licensed professional, if you feel up to that job:)
I found out the plans are beyond my capabilities, and got a local architect from Thumbtack. Very satisfied so far, he came to see and measure and works on the plans now. Had some great suggestions for the steps down, that we would not have considered otherwise, no matter how many pinterest posts we saw. Because the job is so small, the overall price for the plans was acceptable too ~ $400. Thank you for the encouragement to look for an architect in the online quote sites.

Congratulations!

Your next hurtle is dealing with the Buildings Dept. one of the last bastions of graft and corruption. They delayed my kitchen renovation by almost 2 months asking for things that had nothing to do with a kitchen renovation. I asked my architect and contractor if they were looking for a kickback, both said yes. I didn't give in and eventually they approved the permits.

Posted on: 2016/5/18 19:38

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/30 20:38
From Bay street
Group:
Registered Users
I just would like to thank everyone for their input and give an update. It is correct that for a single family you can pull homeowner's building permit and do the plans and construction without a licensed professional, if you feel up to that job:)
I found out the plans are beyond my capabilities, and got a local architect from Thumbtack. Very satisfied so far, he came to see and measure and works on the plans now. Had some great suggestions for the steps down, that we would not have considered otherwise, no matter how many pinterest posts we saw. Because the job is so small, the overall price for the plans was acceptable too ~ $400. Thank you for the encouragement to look for an architect in the online quote sites.

Posted on: 2016/5/18 19:21

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/5/19 17:02
From downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Anything that concerns change in structure will need plans but if it's a one family the owner can draft, sign, submit and build legally with out an architect or licensed professional. Multi families need everyone licensed from architect to builder.

Posted on: 2016/5/5 16:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
I believe the requirements for signed/sealed plans depends on the scope of work. Like putting a door/patio in, not required. Buiding a house, requried. Right?

Posted on: 2016/5/5 13:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCman24 wrote:
Quote:

jerseymom wrote:
I have used Upwork in the past for conceptual presentations that that required renderings. Upwork helps connect you with freelancers from all over the world. Some of the work can be done pretty cheaply. Language barriers can sometimes exist (and they were a bit time consuming in one of my experiences) so choose wisely if you go offshore.

https://www.upwork.com/o/profiles/browse/?q=architect

When it came to getting permits, though, I used a licensed architect in New Jersey. Don't know if you could get your plans drawn at Upwork and then stamped by an architect like Brewster suggested.

In your experience, is Upwork better than Updog?

You've forgotten I am the mother of teenagers...

Resized Image

Posted on: 2016/5/4 21:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/27 14:41
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jerseymom wrote:
I have used Upwork in the past for conceptual presentations that that required renderings. Upwork helps connect you with freelancers from all over the world. Some of the work can be done pretty cheaply. Language barriers can sometimes exist (and they were a bit time consuming in one of my experiences) so choose wisely if you go offshore.

When it came to getting permits, though, I used a licensed architect in New Jersey. Don't know if you could get your plans drawn at Upwork and then stamped by an architect like Brewster suggested.

In your experience, is Upwork better than Updog?

Posted on: 2016/5/4 19:42

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/16 13:54
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Please let us know how this works out for you. I recently got a building permit for our small row house condo and I did have to have the plans professionally done, provide 2 sets to the Building Department and have them stamped. My project is a bit bigger than yours, but I will be interested in who you hire and how it goes. Good luck!

Posted on: 2016/5/4 18:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/5/4 18:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jerseymom wrote:
I stand corrected. Anything I ever did had to be super-serious stamped and signed - Hoboken and JC. Glad to know.

I was under this impression too, but maybe it's one of those things that's different for multi family? I did my own drawing and had an architect friend stamp it for a bath reno.

Posted on: 2016/5/4 16:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

eckster wrote:
Quote:

jerseymom wrote:
Quote:

ilsalmi wrote:
Hello,

I am looking for someone to help me draft the building permit plans for putting in a patio door off my living room. I confirmed with the building department I need a permit, but I have no draftsman experience, and can not make the plans they ask for (the property situation to the neighbor properties, room layout with the electric, plumbing details, the door/wall structural details, elevation layout etc). The contractor will not do it. Does anyone know someone who will do this for me for a reasonable fee? Eg. architect student etc. I don't want to spend a ton of money on an architect or studio just for a door.

Thank you

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that all plans submitted to the building department have to be drafted and stamped by a licensed NJ architect. I don't think you can DIY this for less.

That is incorrect. A homeowner can draft and sign their own plans. Don't let the building department tell you otherwise - they are wrong. You can look online at some basic drafting plans. It doesn't have to be fancy, but just needs to have the basics.

I stand corrected. Anything I ever did had to be super-serious stamped and signed - Hoboken and JC. Glad to know.

Posted on: 2016/5/4 14:42

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/5/6 20:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jerseymom wrote:
Quote:

ilsalmi wrote:
Hello,

I am looking for someone to help me draft the building permit plans for putting in a patio door off my living room. I confirmed with the building department I need a permit, but I have no draftsman experience, and can not make the plans they ask for (the property situation to the neighbor properties, room layout with the electric, plumbing details, the door/wall structural details, elevation layout etc). The contractor will not do it. Does anyone know someone who will do this for me for a reasonable fee? Eg. architect student etc. I don't want to spend a ton of money on an architect or studio just for a door.

Thank you

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that all plans submitted to the building department have to be drafted and stamped by a licensed NJ architect. I don't think you can DIY this for less.

That is incorrect. A homeowner can draft and sign their own plans. Don't let the building department tell you otherwise - they are wrong. You can look online at some basic drafting plans. It doesn't have to be fancy, but just needs to have the basics.

Posted on: 2016/5/4 14:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ilsalmi wrote:
Hello,

Thank you

Posted on: 2016/5/4 14:11

Help with homeowners building permit plans
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/30 20:38
From Bay street
Group:
Registered Users
Hello,

Thank you

Posted on: 2016/5/4 13:47

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017