Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
121 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 121

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Power outage?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/27 14:41
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SRhia wrote:
Quote:

JCman24 wrote:
Quote:

SRhia wrote:
I just lost half of the power in my apartment (like half of the living room has power, but the other half is out). Lives near VVP.

Anyone else?

If only half of your apartment went out during a legitimate outage, you should really have an electrician by some time to see why all of your circuits aren't connected to one central breaker. It could literally save your life some day.

That's what my and my husband were discussing during the outage. Is it normal to have an apartment/building (our neighbors have the same issue) wired from two different outside lines/grids?

Just to be clear - it appears that the half of the apartment that lost power wasn't completely out - when we turn on the light switch, we could see that the light is on, just very dim (barely can see the light). So, it would *appear* that half the circuit has full power (everything working as normal), while the other half has very weak power (enough to have dim lights, but not enough to power a TV, for example).

BTW, power is back! and AC is back! Yay!

In that case, it's probably fine. Power feeds are composed of two hot 120v lines and a neutral/ground as a return. If the power company loses one line, you'll see a situation like that. Turn off your main breaker some time and make sure everything goes out instead of hiring someone.

Posted on: 2015/6/15 3:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCman24 wrote:
Quote:

SRhia wrote:
I just lost half of the power in my apartment (like half of the living room has power, but the other half is out). Lives near VVP.

Anyone else?

If only half of your apartment went out during a legitimate outage, you should really have an electrician by some time to see why all of your circuits aren't connected to one central breaker. It could literally save your life some day.

That's what my and my husband were discussing during the outage. Is it normal to have an apartment/building (our neighbors have the same issue) wired from two different outside lines/grids?

Just to be clear - it appears that the half of the apartment that lost power wasn't completely out - when we turn on the light switch, we could see that the light is on, just very dim (barely can see the light). So, it would *appear* that half the circuit has full power (everything working as normal), while the other half has very weak power (enough to have dim lights, but not enough to power a TV, for example).

BTW, power is back! and AC is back! Yay!

Posted on: 2015/6/15 3:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/27 14:41
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SRhia wrote:

Anyone else?

Posted on: 2015/6/15 3:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SRhia wrote:
Yay - PSG&G truck already on the block! Wow, such fast service!

I love PSE&G. Infinitely better than Con Ed.

Posted on: 2015/6/15 2:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Yay - PSG&G truck already on the block! Wow, such fast service!

Posted on: 2015/6/15 2:04

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/9/3 2:04
Group:
Registered Users
It's a power outage.
Go to http://outagecenter.pseg.com/external/default.html to get a map of power outages in area. PSEG estimates power will be back around 5:30am

Posted on: 2015/6/15 1:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
There are quite a few buildings on my block with no lights at all (except the front door light). So weird!!!

And my downstairs neighbor has the same problem. Could be our building specific - but I think there are too many dark buildings on the block...

Posted on: 2015/6/15 1:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
That sounds like it is internal to your apartment..check your fuses/circuit breakers.

Posted on: 2015/6/15 1:48

Power outage?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Anyone else?

Posted on: 2015/6/15 1:44

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017