Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
130 user(s) are online (109 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 130

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Lonegan opens up about being blind during Senate campaign stop
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

borisp wrote:
Quote:

neverleft wrote:
(we have a few Booker threads so here is an interesting one on Lonegan)

Lonegan opens up about his blindness

By Salvador Rizzo/The Star-Ledger
on September 25, 2013 at 11:47 AM,
updated September 25, 2013 at 4:52 PM

LAWRENCE ? Going blind after college, Steve Lonegan couldn?t land a job.

He collected disability checks from Social Security, which he now wants to cut, and was told to seek food stamps, rent vouchers and vocational training.

?Vocational training back in 1980 meant putting together toasters or making potholders and things like that,? Lonegan told a crowd of students and fans last night at Rider University. ?I chose not to pursue that course.?

full nj.com piece...

http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf/ ... dness.html#incart_m-rpt-1

You seem to quote the article quite selectively. Your narrative: Lonegan benefited from social security and now wants to cut it, - what an ass!

While actually the story that the article tells is: Lonegan decided not to go down the use-social-security-goodies road, and made his own way, despite the disability.

Really? Lonegan decided to not to use Social Security? That?s an odd statement. The article makes it quite clear that he accepted checks. So unless he took that money and sent it straight back to the federal government, I?m guessing that you are misrepresenting the candidate.

Additionally, the article isn?t playing bias. It is pointing out a very stark reality: Candidate took SS when he needed it and now that he doesn?t he is in favor of cutting the program. This is the type of hypocrisy that should be pointed out about all candidates.

Quote:

neverleft wrote:
Quote:
You seem to quote the article quite selectively. Your narrative: Lonegan benefited from social security and now wants to cut it, - what an ass!

Your directing that to reporter Salvador Rizzo from The Star-Ledger right? If you are a Lonegan supporter I hope you are joining the battles over on http://www.nj.com/politics/ . The SL does this all of the time any decent article about Lonegan is filled with little digs from the left leaning SL reporters.

How is it a "dig" to accurately point out Lonegan's position on Social Security?

Well, I guess you can call it a dig if defunding a program that has helped millions of elderly not eat cat food is a bad position to have.

There is nothing "left-leaning" about this article. It paints the guy in a very favorable light. It makes no comment about his stance on abortion or marriage equality; instead the article points out why he actually has those positions. Additionally, it places those items at the very end of the article, which in the inverse pyramid world of newspaper writing means that it is not important and may not even be read.

The fact that you two look at this rather favorable Lonegan article and claim that it takes digs is a testament to how absolutely absurd the right has made the ?liberal media bias? argument. I had a journalist tell me once a few years ago that if the article isn?t trashing a Democrat and praising a Republican, the right will cry bias. The guy is obviously right.

Posted on: 2013/10/3 13:12
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Your directing that to reporter Salvador Rizzo from The Star-Ledger right? If you are a Lonegan supporter I hope you are joining the battles over on http://www.nj.com/politics/ . The SL does this all of the time any decent article about Lonegan is filled with little digs from the left leaning SL reporters.

Posted on: 2013/10/3 11:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/31 13:04
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

neverleft wrote:

He collected disability checks from Social Security, which he now wants to cut, and was told to seek food stamps, rent vouchers and vocational training.

?Vocational training back in 1980 meant putting together toasters or making potholders and things like that,? Lonegan told a crowd of students and fans last night at Rider University. ?I chose not to pursue that course.?

full nj.com piece...

While actually the story that the article tells is: Lonegan decided not to go down the use-social-security-goodies road, and made his own way, despite the disability.

Posted on: 2013/10/3 2:40

Lonegan opens up about being blind during Senate campaign stop
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users

full nj.com piece...

Posted on: 2013/9/25 21:45

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017