Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
113 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 113

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Jersey City agency set to seize city man's home, force him to pay to clean up contamination left by
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
I would never get anything dry cleaned -- nor would I live anywhere near one of these places!

Quote:

And according to an environmental assessment done on behalf of the JCRA, the soil and groundwater at 445 Ocean Ave. is contaminated with perchloroethylene, or PCE, a chemical used frequently by dry cleaners.

Posted on: 2012/2/10 3:06

Re: Jersey City agency set to seize city man's home, force him to pay to clean up contamination left by
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/4 21:55
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
There is one thing I don't get: if an agency sizes a property through eminent domain, doesn't this agency assume the cost of anything related to it ? If yes then it should be the responsibility of that agency to track the original polluter. Mr. Ibrahim was just an intermediate in the process. Tood bad for him but too bad for the mandatory buyer too.

Posted on: 2012/2/10 1:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Hey Ibrahim get some money together and have your own testing done.

And according to an environmental assessment done on behalf of the JCRA, the soil and groundwater at 445 Ocean Ave. is contaminated with perchloroethylene, or PCE, a chemical used frequently by dry cleaners.

Not only did Ibrahim not know the property once housed a dry cleaner, he said he didn?t even know it was in a zone slated for redevelopment, a declaration that can lead to seizures via eminent domain.

Does anyone know the answer to this question? Can the city just randomly do an environmental assessment of someone?s property?

Do you know how many dry cleaners there were in JC back in the day? A lot. Will they also be testing those properties? I guess only if they need it for redevelopment.

Do a Google of 445 Ocean Ave. You can see his property is one of the houses standing in the way of the new project..interesting. I wonder if the other property owners on Ocean and the side streets got the same great "offer".

Posted on: 2012/2/9 23:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Crazy_Chester wrote:
Either Mr. Ibrahim or his attorney, or both, failed to do their homework. He should take the $72k offer and know that it could have been a lot worse. And with a little effort, I would bet that the owner of the dry cleaners could be tracked down.

Sounds like the attorney took him to the cleaners, the guy should have read the fine print. It is up to the end user to know what he is getting into. Well it seems like a $3k loss, bought the place for $75k (fishy cheap) and buy back for $72k. For a guy who was financially premature in purchasing this piece of property I would take the money and run.

Posted on: 2012/2/9 22:35
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/28 15:11
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

what was to be his first home and source of income has turned into a nightmare as he battles the Jersey City Redevelopment Agency, which seeks to seize his house using eminent domain and force him to pay roughly $300,000 in clean-up costs associated with contamination left by a previous owner

I think the city wants him to pay $300,000 for the previous owner's mess. How is that ethical? Where is this family supposed to get that money from? He is not some mega corporation.

Posted on: 2012/2/9 22:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
Either Mr. Ibrahim or his attorney, or both, failed to do their homework. He should take the $72k offer and know that it could have been a lot worse. And with a little effort, I would bet that the owner of the dry cleaners could be tracked down.

Posted on: 2012/2/9 19:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/28 15:11
Group:
Registered Users
This is really messed up...

Quote:

He says he didn?t know the storefront was once Grant Cleaners & Dyers, which operated on the site from 1953 until as late as 2008, according to property records.

The JCRA, in an April 8, 2011 letter sent to Ibrahim, stated he is responsible for the cleanup costs, which could range from $206,040 to $361,560, according to the environmental assessment.

?I said, ?I just bought this house. I don?t know anything about this,? ? Ibrahim said. ?They said, ?No, you?re the owner now.? ?

Not only did Ibrahim not know the property once housed a dry cleaner, he said he didn?t even know it was in a zone slated for redevelopment, a declaration that can lead to seizures via eminent domain.

The attorney who handled the closing of the sale declined to comment.

The JCRA wants Ibrahim?s property and the other two row houses and two vacant lots on the same block so it can create a low-income housing complex. It has offered Ibrahim $72,000 for his property. A hearing in front of the county Condemnation Commission is set for tomorrow at 9:30 a.m. at the Brennan Courthouse, 583 Newark Ave., in Jersey City.

Robert Antonicello should be ashamed of himself for screwing this guy over so bad.

Posted on: 2012/2/9 18:13

Jersey City agency set to seize city man's home, force him to pay to clean up contamination left by
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Ibrahim, 44, purchased a three-story, mixed-use row house on Ocean Avenue for $75,000 in March 2009, and planned to move there with his wife and three children. He imagined operating a cafe or a Dunkin? Donuts in the ground-floor storefront.
http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index ... immigrant_who_bought.html

Posted on: 2012/2/9 17:39

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017