Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
54 user(s) are online (50 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 54

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Reservoir Use for 2008?????
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/8 19:40
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
I haven't been, but that's not at all what I had in mind. I meant something along these lines...

http://www.homes.com/Content/ListingDetail.cfm?&PropId=66630817#

http://www.homes.com/Content/ListingDetail.cfm?&PropId=65917726#

Posted on: 2008/6/12 13:06
www.ninasdogwalk.com

A positive attitude brings strength, energy and initiative.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

ninasdogwalk wrote:
Having a lakefront home is one of my goals!!! Your parents are fortunate indeed...

Have you ever been to one of those south Florida "retirement condo" developments? It's not exactly a lake cottage in the Poconos. They are like 6 floor apartment buildings clustered around small lakes in the middle of giant lawns infested with fire ants. The lakes are there because it was a swamp to begin with and they needed to figure out what to do with the water. They do get stocked with largemouth and peacock bass, and we saw some gar in the attached canal. A neighbor of my folks told me he caught some bass upwards of 5lbs on nightcrawlers, but I'm still trying to figure out how to catch more than sunnies there.

The fire ant thing I thought was old folks being overcautious, "don't sit on the grass", until I put my foot in a hill of them. HOLY CRAP!! That mistake stayed with me for MONTHS! Those things make me believe in God, an evil God.

Posted on: 2008/6/12 3:31

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Having a lakefront home is one of my goals!!! Your parents are fortunate indeed...

Posted on: 2008/6/12 3:02
www.ninasdogwalk.com

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

ninasdogwalk wrote:
Hey Brewster,
Check this out... http://www.goingoutside.com/lake/107/ ... _Tamarack_New_Jersey.html

Thanks, that looks like it's worth a trip. We've been going to Round Valley State Park, about a 45 minute drive. Haven't gotten a bass there yet, but my son can't get enough of the sunnies. I've even tried out my minimal flyfishing skills on them. Supposedly a number of state record fish have come out of that lake.

The license thing gets me crazy, there should be some kind of reciprocity. I frequently visit NY, PA, CT, FL and OR. I could spend hundreds on licenses! Usually I just play fishing coach to my son, although at my parents condo in FL I feel pretty safe since the pond is on private property.

Posted on: 2008/6/11 23:59

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2008/6/11 20:15
www.ninasdogwalk.com

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
They actually don't allow any boats there at all, It's just too small but my husband and I frequent the 7 lakes in New York State which is actually not too far. It's really beautiful and the fishing is great there. We have a small 12" boat. Of course we actually had to go and get licenses for NY as well which was about $40.00 each.
We do keep hearing about Lake Tamarack in Bergen County and plan on going there within the next week or 2. I'm not too sure how things work there yet but I'll be sure to let you know unless you get there 1st.

Posted on: 2008/6/11 20:07
www.ninasdogwalk.com

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

ninasdogwalk wrote:
Brewster, The Reservoir is catch and release as far as I know. I'd never break a rule or the law as far as that.
As far as North Hudson Park, you can only take certain fish such as perch or trout that's at least 15".
Bass are catch and release there. The rules are very strict and I always abide by them.

They also stock the lake there on a every 2 week basis and we often catch and release. On occassion we will take 2 to 4 perch home and once I caught a brown trout and rainbow trout which I released because they were undersized. I agree with you when it comes to the kids as I have 3 sons of my own.

You sound like a great fishing citizen! I only brought it up because there are so many shorts being kept from the river, many people are either ignorant or uncaring.

I'm glad to know about the NH park, my 9 y/o son's a fishing fiend too, and lacks the patience for Hudson baitsoaking. Do you know if they allow you to put in a canoe there?

Posted on: 2008/6/11 19:26

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/6/21 20:26
Group:
Registered Users
I hope the reservoir is opened at some point as well.

Security is an important concern, as it always is in Jersey City. We need to be sure that the fishing hole does not become a dumping ground or a hangout.

It would be wonderful to have a local place to take the children. The non existent police force in the Heights makes it difficult.

Posted on: 2008/6/11 19:15

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Brewster, The Reservoir is catch and release as far as I know. I'd never break a rule or the law as far as that.
As far as North Hudson Park, you can only take certain fish such as perch or trout that's at least 15".
Bass are catch and release there. The rules are very strict and I always abide by them.

They also stock the lake there on a every 2 week basis and we often catch and release. On occassion we will take 2 to 4 perch home and once I caught a brown trout and rainbow trout which I released because they were undersized. I agree with you when it comes to the kids as I have 3 sons of my own.

Posted on: 2008/6/11 18:10
www.ninasdogwalk.com

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Back to the subject, what's up with the reservoir? The website has not been updated with any open days for this summer. Has the deal with the city been broken?

Ninasdogwalk: While I don't know much about North Bergen park, and love to eat my catch as much as anyone, I hope you will release what you catch at our reservoir, I don't think it's large enough for everyone to keep what they catch. There would very quickly be no fish left, and that would be sad for the kids who are thrilled to catch fish in their neighborhood.

Posted on: 2008/6/11 15:22

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
By the way I forgot to mention that he grabbed these turtles right by the ocean. What a jerk!

Posted on: 2008/6/11 10:33
www.ninasdogwalk.com

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Unfortunately, this is the case. It's annoying to say the least as I am an avid FisherWoman.
I must say that fishing 3 to 4 times a week as I do throughout the local area, I've seen plenty of jerks breaking rules and doing things they shouldn't be doing. Perfect example. This past Saturday, my Husband and I went to North Hudson Park,80th Street in North Bergen to do some lake fishing. This Jerkoff decides to come hangout with us because he noticed that we were catching fish.
We had a cage that sits in the water so that the fish stay alive and fresh.
All of a sudden there are 2 monstrous odd looking turtles attacking the cage. The guy notices and goes on to telling us how he was in Conneticut visiting his sister 5 years ago and saw these baby turtles and couldn't resist them and ending up taking them.
To make a long story short he basically ended up raising them for 5 years, they got way too big and aggressive for his tank and he ended up releasing them in the lake. Now for all we know he could've been making this up although it seemed unlikely being that he had chewed our ears off talking about how he goes to the lake 2 to 3 times a week to catch fish and turtles for his tanks at home.
He even had a special bucket with aeration that he showed us.
He went on to say how he tricks the little turtles in order to capture them. How anyone could do something like take a free animal and imprison them in a tank is beyond my understanding. He does this with the fish too and described how beautiful they become once he has them. That's all well and good but all I could think of is why isn't anyone monitoring this fool.
Anyhow as we're watching these genormous turtles that clearydo not belong in that lake attacking and attempting to rip our cage to shreds, this jerk states with pride each new move that the turtles are going to make and how they were destroying the tank they were in and going after everything in the tank and so a few weeks ago he couldn't take it anymore and just released them into the lake. Now as I said before why believe this jerk, but his story seemed feasible from allthat he had said to us earlier.
Quite frankly both my husband and I were disgusted with his proud Papa attitude and at the possibility that hewas potentially screwing up the ecology of the lake.
Growing up when I did everything was more free but look at the irresponsible jerks we have to contend with. annoying as it is to My Husband and myself we understand why there has to be rules and regulations however I cannot comprehend how this person has been getting away with this and God knows how long for.
In the end we did find a Park Ranger reported all that we had learned, showed him the turtles to which he was quite stunned and the mere sight of them and assured us that he'd report it to game and wildlife so that they could setup traps to in order to get them out of there. As for the Reservoir you have to register with their site in order to get alerts as to the dates for different activities http://new.jcreservoir.org/ I personally have little patience in waiting around for them to decide we're doing this on this date and that on that date. I suggest looking other places such as I and my husband have been doing.

Posted on: 2008/6/11 10:31
www.ninasdogwalk.com

Reservoir Use for 2008?????
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/10/8 9:03
Group:
Banned
Hey, I was up at the Central Ave today in the hope of seeing the reservoir (for the first time) and hopefully going fishing.

The whole place was chained up - including one area where the beautiful stonework had been busted out - it looked like Beirut!

What is it with this City? Can't we have a little outdoor fun once in a while without being babysat? It's a freakin lake...and I'm an adult, so let me use it! I was raised in the country and I didn't get educated by Sesame Street, so F*ck off!

I've had enough! I'm moving to a place that isn't over managed by Liberal, Democratic retards...does anyone want to buy a condo?

Posted on: 2008/6/11 7:12

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017