Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
117 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 117

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: What's the legal responsibilities of trash diposal for landlords??
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/1/21 16:58
Group:
Registered Users
thank you, that helps a lot

Posted on: 2007/5/26 18:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Atticus wrote:
The building has 3 units.

There is no trash compactor, we have to bring it out to the trash area which also happens to be out Parking/outdoor space.

We do have a written lease butit does not mention who is repsonsible for the trash.

And there are no recyclying bins either. Every one just puts thier trash in regular trash bags and mixes it up with the other bags in the bin. It's so frustrating.

We are tempted to withhold some of the rent but we are not sure if we can legally do that. Can we?

This is what you do, call the health department, fire prevention and the JCIA...violations will be issued for:

Not recycling, Health/ housing code violations and depending on the amt of trash Fire code violations.
Each of these departments and agencies will issue summons and fines for non compliance.

Fire prevention: 201-547-4200

Housing code: 201-547-5000 ask for Ed Coleman or Mark Redfield in housing code enforcement office.

JCIA- 201-432-4645

Withholding rent is not that easy, this does fall under that category , but you must notice them in writing first etc. and this will most probably end up in court and what can happen is the judge will order the rent money to be put in escrow until the problem is resolved and the agencies listed above are notified, it will be less troublesome for you, to call the departments I suggested and let the lazy landlord learn his lesson by paying out fines and if he/she fails to comply they will pull him into court.

good luck

Posted on: 2007/5/26 17:46

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The building has 3 units.

There is no trash compactor, we have to bring it out to the trash area which also happens to be out Parking/outdoor space.

We do have a written lease butit does not mention who is repsonsible for the trash.

And there are no recyclying bins either. Every one just puts thier trash in regular trash bags and mixes it up with the other bags in the bin. It's so frustrating.

We are tempted to withhold some of the rent but we are not sure if we can legally do that. Can we?

Posted on: 2007/5/26 17:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Atticus wrote:
I'm having a problem with my landlord. He has not been taking the trash out for pick up. Every time I call him about it, he says he'll take care of it and doesn't. He also doesn't clean the building hallways which now have a horrible smell.

Does anyone know what the legal responsibilities for landlords regarding these issues?

Does a tenant have the right to withhold part of the rent if the landlord does not fulfill his obligations?? Please help.

There are many different things that can be done here; this situation falls under both local and state laws. I have a few questions first?..

How many units/apartments are in your building?

Do you have a trash compactor or do you bring the trash to a certain location?

Do you have a written lease and if yes does it mention who is responsible for trash removal. ( this may only matter if it?s a two or three family non owner of super occupied)

Do you have designated recycle bins? (i.e.; bottles, paper and all other.)

Posted on: 2007/5/26 7:29

What's the legal responsibilities of trash diposal for landlords??
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I'm having a problem with my landlord. He has not been taking the trash out for pick up. Every time I call him about it, he says he'll take care of it and doesn't. He also doesn't clean the building hallways which now have a horrible smell.

Does anyone know what the legal responsibilities for landlords regarding these issues?

Does a tenant have the right to withhold part of the rent if the landlord does not fulfill his obligations?? Please help.

Posted on: 2007/5/26 3:49

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017