Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
115 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 115

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: New playground in downtown

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/6/28 17:28
Group:
Registered Users
Well, I contacted the JC Division of Parks and Forestry and was told that the playground across the street from Liberty Towers, on the SW corner of Greene and Essex Streets, is NOT city owned.

Apparently, its owner is the Greene Street Management Group.

Does anyone know who/what this entity is or how to contact them?

I asked the JC Parks Dept., and I'll post if I get a response but thought I should ask here, too, in case anyone had any idea about this entity.

Posted on: 2008/4/25 18:22

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/11 2:23
Group:
Registered Users
There is a great playground on 9th and Brunswick..it just doesn't have any shade. I actually hesitate to post this because it's not too crowded yet...

Posted on: 2008/4/20 3:02

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/4/20 0:55
Group:
Registered Users
There is a playground in journal square around garrison and boyd (a couple blocks away from st. peter's college). It is pretty safe and quite clean. Quote:

iggy wrote:
Why are there NO playgrounds in the Journal Square area??? Downtown has Hamilton and Van Vorst. The kids in my block play in a parking lot or in the street. There is clearly a need for one!

Posted on: 2008/4/20 0:58

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Nana, great comments, and I agree with all of your points. The playground is just hazardous as it stands now.

DanL, thanks for the update - one of us (my husband or I) will try to attend the meeting. If not, though, maybe someone could post an update with regards to the playground? I'm sure there are many interested parties that would find the info useful.

alb - soooo true. LOL.

Posted on: 2008/4/19 1:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/29 4:06
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Nana wrote:
And lastly, get rid of those bushes! Just don't feel safe hidden behind those bushes while pushing my baby on the swing.

(attemptedhumor)
But, if you get rid of the bushes, where will all of those poor junkies shoot up?
(/attemptedhumor)

Posted on: 2008/4/18 17:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
the next meeting of the Historic Paulus Hook Association is on May 1st.

it is on the jclist calendar - see this link -

http://jclist.com/modules/piCal/index ... 0038087&caldate=2008-4-18

that is probably the best source for a pragmatic update of the situation and plans for the future.

Posted on: 2008/4/18 17:14

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/8/17 14:33
Group:
Registered Users
It is a shame that the Colgate park is in such disrepair. I understand that great changes are in store - but that's years away. How about a few quick fixes? Maybe some working swings and a sandbox is not made out of splintered rotten wood. And lastly, get rid of those bushes! Just don't feel safe hidden behind those bushes while pushing my baby on the swing. I too would love to know if there are any updates as to the park's development.

Fact RE: Colgate Clock - I believe it's the largest analog clock in the world.

Posted on: 2008/4/18 17:02

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Found this old thread...

Any updates/news regarding that old playground at the corner of Essex and Greene streets next to the Liberty Terrace condos (near the Essex St. light rail stop)?

Now that the weather is getting warmer, children (mine included) are showing up there, but it's downright dangerous and just an embarrassment as far as the condition.

According to Steven Fulop's response in this thread, something should've been decided last year, but it doesn't look as though anything has been done - at least physically.

There are SO many small children in this area, and there's absolutely nowhere for them to play or to get outside. If JC wants to attract and keep families, safe playgrounds are essential. I'm pretty surprised that this area wasn't taken care of when the condos and the rentals across the street were going up. I'd think the developers would want such an eyesore renovated; they could use it as fodder for their sales/rental advertising.

Anyone heard anything?

Posted on: 2008/4/18 3:14

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/6/3 15:29
Group:
Registered Users
Why are there NO playgrounds in the Journal Square area??? Downtown has Hamilton and Van Vorst. The kids in my block play in a parking lot or in the street. There is clearly a need for one!

Posted on: 2007/5/25 18:57

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/6/28 14:15
Group:
Registered Users
Oh, I thought that was a private area, like all the other fenced off green spaces in Paulus Hook (how antisocial). Thanks, will check it out.

Re: Colgate park, I too would like to know when that will be fixed up. And I, for one, do not care for the Colgate clock itself--free advertisement for a company that abandoned the area. What a shame to hold up the park for the sake of this old relic.

Btw, yesterday, I discovered all along the edge of that area, abutting GS driveway, sharp metal spikes about 4 inches high, sticking out of the ground, parts of an old fence, I guess. If anyone were to fall on any of these camouflaged knifes sticking out of the ground--YIKES! Whoever owns the property should really look into it before someone gets hurt.

Quote:

woowookid wrote:
Sounds like the park behind the Light Rail stop at Essex Street where they used to have that rollerblade rink and a basketball court. Across the street from Claremont Cove and on the corner of Essex and Greene I believe. Used to be the spot for pre-dance partying for St. Peter's Prep boys.

Posted on: 2007/5/25 16:15

hudson river greenway/colgate park
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/12/30 3:40
Group:
Banned
Councilman, what's the status on building out the Hudson River Greenway between the Goldman Sach's building and the Portside building on Washington St? Having the path completed would make the Colgate park (corner of Essex and Greene St) and the future park(?) by the Colgate clock much more appealing.

Posted on: 2007/5/25 15:36

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/8/27 5:04
Group:
Registered Users
Sounds like the park behind the Light Rail stop at Essex Street where they used to have that rollerblade rink and a basketball court. Across the street from Claremont Cove and on the corner of Essex and Greene I believe. Used to be the spot for pre-dance partying for St. Peter's Prep boys.

Posted on: 2007/5/25 15:12

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

StevenFulop wrote:

I have been working with the owners of the park on Essex Street regarding renovation. We will have this completed by the end of year as just recently the group hired the design architect. The most notable changes will likely include an improved playground as well as seating/planters in the center paved area.

Steven Fulop

That's great news. Now can someone tell me exactly where this hidden playground is? I do a lot of walking and I've examined Google Maps but cannot find it.

RE: Liberty Harbor, if they plan to sell to families they'd be fools not to build a playground. I now value real estate on its proximity to parks and playgrounds (and good schools, of course).

Posted on: 2007/5/25 15:02

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/27 19:46
Group:
Registered Users
Per Alb's point, I can lend some insight on the park in Paulus Hook.

I have been working with the owners of the park on Essex Street regarding renovation. We will have this completed by the end of year as just recently the group hired the design architect. The most notable changes will likely include an improved playground as well as seating/planters in the center paved area.

Steven Fulop

Posted on: 2007/5/25 13:29

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/8/26 11:51
Group:
Registered Users
You can always go to the Wayne st playground (between Jersey ave and Barrow st) in the mornings because all crackheads are passed out.

Posted on: 2007/5/25 1:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/29 4:06
Group:
Banned
Quote:

EAS wrote:
How do we get a new one? The little one in Van Vorst Park is PACKED in the mornings. There is clearly a baby boom in the area. Hamilton Park and Liberty State Park is too far away by foot. Paulus Hook has zero public playgrounds, seems like an obvious choice.

a) There is actually a public playground in Paulus Hook, behind some horrible bushes right behind the light rail station. I think the condo developers are supposed to refurbish it, and this might be a good time to ask the developers what they're doing.

b) Is Liberty Harbor North building a playground? If not, maybe we should be asking the city council why it's not.

Posted on: 2007/5/24 19:26

New playground in downtown

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
How do we get a new one? The little one in Van Vorst Park is PACKED in the mornings. There is clearly a baby boom in the area. Hamilton Park and Liberty State Park is too far away by foot. Paulus Hook has zero public playgrounds, seems like an obvious choice.

Anyone know how one goes about getting the ball rolling on this?

Posted on: 2007/5/24 19:07

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017